Level 3: Gumshoe

ADSL not working

On Friday 09/10/2020 my ADSL stopped working so I rang support, they said to factory reset so that the outdated firmware could update, If I have a RED internet light on would it still do a firmware update ??

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Level 21: Augmented

Re: ADSL not working

What model of modem do you have?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Hi Stevo,

My modem is the F@ST 5355

Hi, OK you have no 4G backup on that modem, so while that red light is on for Internet, no it won't do any downloads..

Have you tried a power cycle yet? Turn the the power off (or pull the cable out or unplug the power packut - don't just use the On/Off button), wait a couple of minutes then turn it back on..

If that doesn't work in restoring the internet, on the front panel, just below the power switch there is a reset button - use a paper clip or something similar to push that recessed button and hold it in for about 15 seconds (with power on of course)..  

If you still don't get internet after those resets, it is a problem with your service. Is everything plugged in correctly - Telstra wall plate to the DSL socket on the modem itself.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Level 24: Supreme Being

No it want do a firmware update without the internet working. Have you entered your bigpond username and password into modem's broadband pppoe settings?

Hi Stevo

I tried to tell the Telstra support person that there is no communication between the modem and the exchange even after a full reset and the user is now newdsluser@bigpond.com so it should allow configuration but still the red light,The help desk are not really any help and you go through the same resets and restarts everytime you contact them it is very frustrating to say the least, Thank you for you help very much appreciated, Shame Telstra can't do the same.

James

Not much else I can do for you except offer my sympathy, unfortunately.

You did try putting your details into the PPOE settings in the modem?

Stevo 52

Hi Steve,

Thanks again for your replay, After the factory reset back to newdsluser@bigpond.com and the defaut password it is my belief that without my details installed the Internet light should be green as the default user ?, but have not added my details because that is what the Telstra expert told me to do and wait 24 Hours. But I know and you know this is not going to happen so I will wait to tell them that nothing has changed tomorrow. ?

As a side note the Telstra Support said it will update with red light on, I think he needs a new career.

Thank again

James

Which light is red? There is no internet light on the F@st5355 and the other lights are normally off when there is a fault. If its the power light the modem is faulty.

Yep, lots of people at Telstra don't seem to know their products or have the tech skills to resolve issues - but they won't escalate it to someone who does..

Stevo 52

Stevo,

Actally I should point out that when the fault first came on I was using Technicolor TG797n V3

And that was the modem with the RED internet light and Green WAN light as the support said the firmware outdated I changed to the F@st 5535 and on that the link light is Green and the Online is white sorry for the confusion. But they said both need firmware updates ?

James

If online light is white there is a network fault or Bigpond username and password is wrong. The modem can't connect to Telstra server. The online light green indicates the ADSL link is Okay.

Righto..  so F@st 5535 is in place now? Have you retired the Technicolor TG797n V3?

On the F@st 5535 the Link indicator is green, but Online is white???  By white do you mean not on at all?  Can't say I have seen Online white before, just Blue (connecting) or Green (Connected)..  but the link light goes white while connecting)..

If you haven't already seen it, have a look at the user guide that cf4 put together..  https://drive.google.com/file/d/19mXdm_iOUgUrVrZmERxCTN6qzr4pF0x2/view  there are details about the login process in Chapter 5  

Stevo 52

Thank you Correct

I will step aside here and just follow this issue..  I'll leave it with cf4 so as to avoid confusion and crossed messages..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52

Hi Steve

Online is White as in lit, the link led goes from blue to green but Online comes on only white does not turn green, I am convinced the the ADSL card in the exchane or in DSLAM is faulty but trying to convince Telstra is impossible, I was a Telephone Tech (PTTO1) with Telstra for 35 years so I have a little bit of understanding.

Thanks again Steve

mate the skill, knowledge level and care factor is way less than in our day!

Stevo 52

Hi Steve,

Agreed, thanks for all you help take care :-)

James

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit