bobo2899
Level 1: Cadet

Adsl or Adsl2+ slow speed

Can some one please verify if link rate downstream 8032kbps /upstream 384 is ADSL or ADSL2+.

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Link Rate8032 Kbps384 Kbps
Line Attenuation17.0 dB9.5 dB
Noise Margin7.8 dB24.0 dB

My plan is set to ADSL2+ should I expect faster speeds than 80KBS.I tried to manually setting my dsl to ADSL2+ but doesnt work it reverts back to adsl.im 1860ms from exchange 

Ozbroadband test results

Your line speed is 958 kbps (0.96 Mbps).
Your download speed is 120 KB/s (0.12 MB/s).

Any help will be much appreciated 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
cretsiah
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Adsl or Adsl2+ slow speed

Dont know, 

I ran a test on my tablet and it come up with mirrorSmiley Surprisedptus

Line speed: 1.76mbps download speed: 228kbs but im on telstra and I know im within the 2.5km cable length to the exchange.

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
Caaf
Level 23: Superhero

No one here can verify your connection here. I'll all so add you're paying for an "upto" service and I've read no where that any provider will state "you'll have X speeds ect"

You'd need to share the connection type, should look something like G992.? From there we'll be able to say you're on ADSL or ADSL2/+. You can't make your connection ADSL2 as it's the actual hardware your connected to.. It'll be simply impossible! All your stuffing about with settings may of slowed your connection? However with having a less quality connection (noise margin fairly low) on your D/L could lean towards line quality.

It could be faulty filters, line, connections, router the list goes on. As it seems your connection to the exchange seems like you're maxing out possibly ADSL which I'll add some would be envious of (as ADSL2+ could be up towards 19/20mb/s) but only downloading at your reported rate beside your reported figures is there anything else you've done?

Could assist.
http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

Cheers,
Dave

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

I would suspect that you are on ADSL given the sync rate you have posted (the upstream is the giveaway), also that you have stated that when you manually set your modem to ADSL2+ it didn't work.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cretsiah
Level 21: Augmented

Are you running an old modem like the 1(speedstream I think the name was), s before the thompson gateway? If so you you required a firmware update to run adsl2 on it, if not make sure your modem is defintely an adsl2 or adsl2+ modem. Also try and fing out how far from the exchange you are (by cable length not line of site) and ask telstra if there is exchange congestion while your at it

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
bobo2899

Latest news. I contacted Telstra and was directed to tech support and billing for a hour or 2 back and forth on telstra 24/7 chat facebook. It seems telstra 3 years ago sold us adsl2+ which is not available in our area so for three years we have been duped and ripped off and we actually have adsl 1. Now we have to wait for someone from level 2 to contact us about it and two minutes ago i got a msg from telstra saying they are sending a new modem which i didnt ask for . Ive checked the two modems i have and they are adsl 2+ compatibile 1 from telstra and other netgear 

bobo2899

Latest news. I contacted Telstra via their 24/7 Chat and was directed to 'tech support and billing' for a hour or 2 back and forth on telstra 24/7 chat facebook. It seems telstra 3 years ago sold us adsl2+ which is not available in our area so for three years we have been duped and ripped off and we actually have adsl 1. Now we have to wait for someone from level 2 to contact us about it and two minutes ago i got a msg from telstra saying they are sending a new modem which i didnt ask for . Ive checked the two modems i have and they are adsl 2+ compatibile 1 from telstra and other netgear 

bobo2899

Latest news. I contacted Telstra via their 24/7 Chat and was directed to 'tech support and billing'; this went on for a good hour or two. It seems 3 years ago Telstra sold my family ADSL2+ which is not even available in our area! So for 3 whole years we have been ripped off and only actually have ADSL1! Now we have to wait for someone from level 2 support to contact us futher! However just two minutes ago I got a message from Telstra notifying me 'they have sent a replacement modem and I will recieve it in 5 days'..which I didnt even ask for?!
I have checked the current two modems I own, which are both ADSL2+ compatibile (one Telstra and the other Netgear).

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit