Suresh
Level 1: Cadet

ADSL Port not available in Forest Lake

I have contacted Telstra to get a bundle of internet & home phone. They connected home phone on 13/01/12 but no ADSL. The order is still showing progressing. When I called Telstra, the staff can't give me a specific answer other than "ports not available". Then Telstra told me that some one from their technical support will contact me in 48 hrs, but it is not happened after several days.

Here is my frustration.

Telstra not providing adequate information to the customers. The other providers told me it is a problem of distance not ports. When I mentioned this to Telstra they said the exchange is approximately 1Km from my house. I am sure it not correct because It takes almost 7Km to drive to reach to Inala exchange from Cayman Place, Forest Lake.

Looks to me Telstra wanted to sell their wireless and that way Telstra can charge more to customers and it doesn't cost Telstra nothing more. The loosers are customers, when more people access the network more congestion happens and the internet experience will become nightmare in Forest Lake.

Now a days the whole Australia talk about lightning speed of internet, but Telstra is not interested to provide ADSL in Forest Lake eventhough there are many schools and collages are in Forest Lake. The Forest Lake is not a "Forest" it is in the Brisbane City. The unavailability of internet is making life difficult especially the families with kids in the universities and schools. 

Do I have to call Telstra everyday to find out the availability of the port ?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
peter296
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: ADSL Port not available in Forest Lake

The area you are in is not fed from the Inala Exchange but from either a roadside cabinet or the sub exchnage in the school cnt Centenial Way & Grand Ave, or a mixture of both.

When Forest Lake was first developed it was too far from Inala exchange so Telstra installed roadside cabinets, either RIMs or CMUX. to provide phone services. When ADSL came along they retrofitted those cabinets with ADSL ports. Since the boxes were never designed for ADSL they only provide about 30% of lines with ADSL. Some years ago, to try and increase the number of customers with ADSL, they installed the sub exchange next to the school and ran cables from there to many of the cabinets in Forest Lake. The problem is that now most of those cables are also full of ADSL.

So, the reason you can't get ADSL is probably no spare ports. However, Telstra is currently putting Tophats on a lot of the cabinets to give them close to 100% ADSL capability. You can try and see if your cabinet is scheduled for a Tophat at this link. www.telstrawholesale.com...ument/tophat.xls    note that this is not the complete list as Telstra has said they will do about 2000 of these Australia wide, so there are more to come. Also, a lot of the Qld ones do not have a date yet, but work is underway and many have the initial work completed and are only waiting on the cutover.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

The above is correct. I'm willing to bet you either feed off the Sub-Exchange or a Roadside Cabinet.

ADSL is available to 80% of the population. For those who either cannot get ADSL or need it, Wireless BB is an option. The costs for Wireless BB reflect the cost of backhaul and the cost of running the World's fastest and Australia's Biggest Mobile Network

Telstra is also working on increasing ADSL2 until the NBN rolls around, and Tophat is our commitment to that.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Suresh
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Ben,

Thanks for providing the feed back. I did have a look on the Tophat roll out plan, but can't see any thing happening around my house or in the corner of Centennial Way & Grand Avenue Rd. It may be due to my inability to read those plan. Can you please advise me if there is a Tophat roll out plan in the future  in the exch located corner of Centennial Way & Grand Avenue Rd, Forest Lake ? Regarding the port availability, how do I find out if a port becomes available in the existing mini exchange/road side cabinet, Do Telstra automatically connect the ADSL to my home if any port available ?

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@Suresh wrote:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for providing the feed back. I did have a look on the Tophat roll out plan, but can't see any thing happening around my house or in the corner of Centennial Way & Grand Avenue Rd. It may be due to my inability to read those plan. Can you please advise me if there is a Tophat roll out plan in the future  in the exch located corner of Centennial Way & Grand Avenue Rd, Forest Lake ? Regarding the port availability, how do I find out if a port becomes available in the existing mini exchange/road side cabinet, Do Telstra automatically connect the ADSL to my home if any port available ?

You need to apply for ADSL, every so often, we don't keep a waiting list at the moment (this is something we have fed back up the chain as something that would be good).

You can keep checking using your phone number at http://my.bigpond.com/check-availability/default.do

As for Top Hat, you can type your address into http://telstra.com.au/misc/tophat/ to find out if you are set for a scheduled Top Hat Upgrade. Note it will only show those sites with a confirmed date.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

TPham
Level 2: Rookie

Hi Ben,
I am in West Hoxton NSW 2171 . I 've also applied twice for Bigpond ADSL the sales reps both times assured me that they can see no problem in connecting me to the ADSL . I called back and was told both times that there's no port . Surely Telstra must know whether the ports are available , why do they have to send a technician out to find out ? If this is true then it appears that Telstra could not keep tracks of its onw port availability ! By the way if we need to check
http://my.bigpond.com/check-availability/default.do
for port availability then why don't the sales rep do the same check ? To avoid wasting both my and Telstra time .

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit