Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

ADSL slowed after unpaid bill, Telstra can't restore speed?

I mistakenly thought I'd set up direct debit when I first joined Telstra at the end of July. Turns out I hadn't so Telstra slowed my ADSL to an unusable state on Tuesday 15/9/15, which is fair enough. Once I realised what happened the next day I rang up, paid the account and setup direct debit. Was advised that it would be 2 business hours or 24 hours max before my net was restored.

The next day I rang up again to see what was going on, was advised payment was cleared fine, zero balance owing and that restrictions had been removed. Was told to power cycle modem etc wait 30 mins and they'd call me back. I waited for over an hour before requesting a callback via the email option. Received a call from a Telstra number that proceeded to hang up when I answered, cool.

I rang again, talking to a different person who also said there was were no restrictions on my service anymore. My net was still unusable so they put me through to tech support who pretty much immediately said I had a line fault and was going to send a tech out, give it 24 hours.

So that was today, I rang again and was first told that there was a mass service disruption in my area that wouldn't be fixed till the 22nd (nothing in the service status page for my area though).

5 minutes laterI called again after checking the service status and was this time told that a tech had visited today and fixed a fault. He got me to power cycle etc but speed was still 0.05mbps. He then noticed that my account is still slowed by Telstra and that he'd put in to have it removed.. Give it 24 hours.

I've seriously spoken to at least 5 different people who've either said the speed restriction was removed or that it'd be done in 24 hours. I'm hoping this last guy actually does something because it feels like I'm just being taken for a ride.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: ADSL slowed after unpaid bill, Telstra can't restore speed?

All while this has been going on, with tech support talking about line faults and service disruptions, I've had a notice in my account saying "your service has been slowed". How is it that someone in tech support wouldn't be able to pick up on that.. As well as me saying my net has been slowed for an unpaid bill.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The 1st thing that I would check is if the account is up to date, if an account is not then your fixed internet will slowed.

Have we managed to restore your services. ?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi, account was paid in full on Wednesday 23/9/15. I spoke to a few different people on Thursday who verified that payment has gone through and zero amount is owing. Right now my service is still slowed, 3 days later.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Can I please get you to call us on 133 933 so our Techs can have a look at why your service has not been restored to normal speed - Oliver

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

I'll try again, 4th time lucky perhaps
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Fingers crossed, please let me know how you get on this time - Oliver

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Still not working and showing internet service slowed so the third 24 hour wait was for nothing as well. Spoke to tech support again who is apparently going to escalate it to level 2.. He said to give it 24 hours ha.
Highlighted

Update, as of 1420 hours 19/9/15 it looks like my service has been restored. Not too sure how I feel about this.. I admit that it was my mistake in the first place and have paid the late fee along with everything else. But is Telstra able/willing to reimburse/credit for the 3 or 4 days where I had no internet due to their inability to remove a block on my service? As far as I know I did everything correct in paying as soon as I was aware, ringing customer support mutliple times to check my account had no balance owing, conversing with tech support about apparent faults.. only to be told by the latest guy something along the lines of "a mistake was by billing in removing the block in the first place.."

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Have a chat to us here http://tel.st/e3xp and we can discuss a possible credit for the down time. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Its refreshing to see im not the only one going through almost the exact same issue, except in my situation its telstra's fault for sending the incorrect billing amount over and over which has led to what you went through, im sick of being told 24-48hours, even 1hour restore time each time i speak to one of there script reading international robots, im constantly told my net will be restored within the day (3 days later still waiting) im currently counting down the hours from the timeframe which was given to me by the last person i spoke to and if my net is not restored by 7:03pm on the dot i will be leaving my 24month contract with telstra and if they want to make it harder for me i have all the calls recorded (on my end) all the emails and texts to take forward to the obudsman. I may even contact the ACMA to report this aswell, maybe they can hand out another fine to telstra for taking its customers for a ride and lack of service.

I love how quickly telstra's team is to hound its customers for money and how fast they are to cap someones net but when the rolls are reversed and you have to jump through there hoops to get the most simplistic problems sorted it becomes near impossible and you feel stuck in the mud, i cant imagine how much stress this would cause an older telstra customer that is not technology adept and unaware of the rights as a consumer.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit