localhost
Level 3: Gumshoe

ADSL2+ Plan but only ADSL1 Speed

Answered

Hi all,

Recently our street got a top hat upgrade (the box is right over the road - approx 10 meters from the house).

About 2 weeks after the upgrade I called Telstra and asked to be upgraded to ADSL2+.  They said it was available and would take 4 days to complete.  Now it is 9 days later and am still connecting at ADSL1 speed.

I have called tech support (who put some ADSL2+ codes onto my account) and then called billing (who upgraded my plan) but still connecting at the same speed. Confirmed with both departments that the order was complete.

Below is the screenshot showing the connection (took screenshot tonight) at 8Mb down (I was expecting 20+ Mb).

bigpond.png

Tonight it was really frustrating as I called tech support again and the following was said:

1. Need to call billing - it's definately a billing issue.
  2. OK - lets do a speed test.  No.. not one of those sites that give you numbers.. download https://storage.bigpond.com/public/bin/OnlineStorage.exe and then tell us what speed you get
  3. OK you download at 815Kbps which is fast enough to qualify for ADSL2 (apparently anything over 810Kbps is ADSL2) so you are considered to be upgraded.
  4. OK I can get a level 2 tech to check it out - however if they say you have ADSL 2 you will get a bill for getting us to confirm that.

So I'm putting this out there - has anyone got any ideas on how to get it past the level 1 techs that an 8Mb connection really is ADSL 1?  I'm concerned that some weird SLA that Telstra have is going to end up costing me money without getting any result.

I'm open to ideas.  Especially as I saw that http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Trying-to-get-upgraded-from-ADSL-to-ADSL2-on-a-... had the exact same issue.

Please help.

regards

Aaron.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
localhost
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL2+ Plan but only ADSL1 Speed

Hi all,

thanks so much for the fast responses.  Really impressed with the community support here.

My speed issue is resolved!!!!  A level 2 tech called and said that the config codes where incorrectly applied and once the codes were put on correctly the line sync went to 24 MB and the download speed improved greatly.

Screenshot of the Telstra router below shows the settings now.

ADSL.jpg

Test from Speedtest.net showing better results as well.

Looking forward to better speeds when I get home now.

Thanks again for everyone's help - and it shows the difference in a level 2 tech's knowledge above and beyond the level 1 tech.  Just wish there wasn't a default "you'll pay for this gadget" type disclaimer which scares the bejesus out of you first.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Aaron,

Can you please post a screenshot with the Attenuation Rates? I saw your screenshot come through highlighting the speeds (normally they need to be approved) and was in the middle of PMing you when I saw this.

I'm not sure if you are aware, however the minimum specification for a service to be faulted at is (or was) 1500/256kbps (You are currently doing 8160/384kbps). If it is determined there is no fault (as any speed above 1500/256 is) then the tech may decide to charge you a fee for the visit.

As I said though, those attenuation rates will help us a bit better

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

localhost

Hi Ben,

thanks for the info - I didn't know there was a limit for a service to be faulted.  I guess my frustration was on getting a certain speed on ADSL 1 and then after an upgrade getting the exact same speed!!

Below is a screenshot of the attenuation. I also noted that the DSL type was G.992.1 which when I looked up on Wikipedia (I know it's not 100% reliable) says that 992.1 is the code for ADSL1.

ADSL.jpg

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Your correct. G.992.1 is tech speak for ADSL1

Your attenuation is also low. I think there is a config issue, so I'll flag the thread down to a mod and see what they can do for you Smiley Happy

New Users - Click Here!

Lathania
Level 21: Augmented

That attenuation can be normal for a service on a RIM / CMUX. I personally would ask technical support what kind of port you are connected too, it's a 10 second check and then either a mod or activations can organise ADSL2 if you're on the appropriate port already.
Lathania

Accepted Solution

Hi all,

thanks so much for the fast responses.  Really impressed with the community support here.

My speed issue is resolved!!!!  A level 2 tech called and said that the config codes where incorrectly applied and once the codes were put on correctly the line sync went to 24 MB and the download speed improved greatly.

Screenshot of the Telstra router below shows the settings now.

ADSL.jpg

Test from Speedtest.net showing better results as well.

Looking forward to better speeds when I get home now.

Thanks again for everyone's help - and it shows the difference in a level 2 tech's knowledge above and beyond the level 1 tech.  Just wish there wasn't a default "you'll pay for this gadget" type disclaimer which scares the bejesus out of you first.

View solution in original post

Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

That's great news. Sounds like they had you on 'Open 1' rather than 'Open 2'.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Lathania
Level 21: Augmented

@Kalak wrote:

Not quite how it works =P The codes for Open ADSL (8mb) and ADSL2 are quite distinguishable from each other. I have a suspicion as to how this can happen but it's best not to speculate.

Lathania

@Lathania wrote:

@Kalak wrote:

Not quite how it works =P The codes for Open ADSL (8mb) and ADSL2 are quite distinguishable from each other. I have a suspicion as to how this can happen but it's best not to speculate.

Eh, the AXIS codes are a few characters apart, why do you think they have systems that talk to AXIS (Moby/BOOM).

B.

New Users - Click Here!

bobval
Level 1: Cadet

Seems a common problem, I upgraded to adsl2+ from adsl on Friday 10th August, plan details were changed to adsl2+ but little else. Reference numbers abound, 1-101576823781 from Steven 0613874 all initiated at the Telstra shopfront Woden ACT. The top hat is commisioned G106 on RIM CCEY, CQEEB located in Aspinall st Watson, 2602. The exchange is the TELSTRA Crace (CRCF)ADSL2+ activated exchange 2187meters from the RIM. The RIM is located less than 100 m from my unit. All in ground copper wiring from the now FTTN TOP HAT was installed at time of building construction in 1999. Twisted pair cat5 underground to the building MDF. twisted pair copper phone line to the unit comms outlet. Cat5 extension of 5M to the 2176 2 wire ADSL2+ ready modem thence WiFi via an Apple Airport Express N  to a N rated WiFi card in the computer. All running at 100%. ADSL down load speeds were around 1.3Mbps until work commenced on TOP HAT and then increased over the work period of two weeks to 3.5Mbps, then 4.8Mbps and now 7.6Mbps. Uploads are now 984Kbps. Either I have very fast ADSL or very slow ADSL2+. Clerically the account may reflect ADSL2+ but has the port been upgraded at the exchange or DSLAM cabinet? Please have a line check and port check carried out also determine if the port is still 992.1 or has been upgraded to 992.5

Kalak

If you are uploading at anything above 384Kbps then it's ADSL2+. As you say you are at 984Kbps, then this would indicate you have indeed been upgraded to ADSL2+.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
bobval

Kalik

Thanks for the reply. I am not a teckno but why must a layman user have to delve so deeply into IT? Ok after mysterfying as to the wondrful blue page oin the original post I finnaly trigered to the fact that Technicolor TG582n was in fact a modem brand. So used HTTP/10.0.138 to access my 2 wire 2071 A Telstra modem and then recorded the connection data.

Protocol is listed as G.DMT2+ Annex A (must be 992.5) DSL connection records as 22972kbps down 1008kbps up. Attenenuation is listed as 8.5db up and 3.5db down. Line speed from the Telstra recomended Ozspeed mirror is fairly consistant +- 350kbps at 7500kbps with upload speed at 829.21kbps.

The variance between DSL connection shown in 10.0.138 and speed tests must be that 10.0.138 shows the theoretical max speed not the actual line speed. Either way a download speed in the order of 7.6 Mbps is useless. NBN is currently being rolled out in my area, at my door within the next 12 months, just in time to beat the election. Guess I must be happy with very fast ADSL or very slow ASL2+

Kalak

OK. Looking at your sync speeds, about 99% of ADSL users would be envious of your connection. That is an almost perfect connection.

HOWEVER, the throughput doesn't appear to be matching up with the line speed, which could indicate congestion.

Make sure you are connect via Ethernet and please follow the instructions at https://bigpond.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19652/ and see what speed you get.

bobval

Kalak

Telstra must have read my post, after a 10.0.138 check I noted that DSL download connection is now 22972 kbps, upload 1008kbps. attenuation 8.5db down, 3.5 up. noise is 6db down and 8.9 up. Following the speed test on the Optus site as the original post did, I suddenly recorded down speed around 17.89Mbps. Yep! I now have close to the maximum ADSL2+ service as can be expected. The Optus site uses a Sydney server that is located 158 Miles yes miles not Kms from my connection. The OZspeed test site uses Canberra and now seems to be irrelevant. My actual distance from the Telstra Crace exchange is only 2800 odd meters of cable, Fibre was actually installed three years ago to the RIM but not utilised until the Top Hat was commisioned on 25th July. All the twisted pair copper from the RIM outside my property into the unit is 100% OK and only 10 years old. Can't get a better connection nor a better service. NBN may be irrelevant with line speeds around 18Mbps.

Kalak

Great to read your service is going strong now.

bobval

Kalak

The truth of the matter is that Telstra do take more than the advised 4 days to effect a port change at the nominated exchange, 6/7 days is more valid. Hence a sudden massive lift in line speed overrnight. One may well be billed for a service before it is connected.

Next! and far more relevant is the subject of so called SPEED TESTS. Most are invalid for ADSL2+ due to the simple fact that all bar the OPTUS Ookla ping test are invalid because they were/are/ a dubious copper line connection to the server used to ping a response. ADSL2+ MUST be optic fibre direct connection from a reputable server (OPTUS) located in Sydney (there is NO server capable of ADSL2+ situated in Canberra) directly and without crosssover at any point to copper wire, straight to the RIM via the Crace exchange. The OZ test was crap due to the OZ server being in all probability in the third bedroom of a run down old semi detached in an industrial suburb or Sydney or perhaps Whoop Whoop. The variation in testing from OZ to Optus server was in excess of 12Mbps. Oz indicated a line speed around 7.8Mbps at best and Ookla showed 21Mbps as a brief top line speed. Ookla average over the day is around 17.4Mbps. My ping results are 23ms. I believe I am really the first in Canberra to have a direct fibre optic RIM, maybe in the city and elsewhere ADSL2+ was really only a copper wire connection. I have only ever seen three RIM cabinets, all in my street and all connected to Crace exchange, the most modern in Australia. All three RIMS were connected to optic fibre in July 2012. Channel 10 and seven are also located in my street, less than 500 meters from my RIM. Optic fibre from 4 different sources has been in the ground outside my door for over 10 years.

ksgardner79

Mine is exactly the same as well and everytime I ring telstra they talk to me like I am an idiot. Very frustrating. I think I am explaining in simple terms ie my adsl 2+ is only giving me adsl speeds but its a complete waste of time. Can someone help me speak to an australian based staff member to help me out????? 

Derrick
Level 4: Private Eye

I'm currently going through exactly the same problem and it's been dragging on for three weeks.

I spoke to the Australian call centre and whilst helpfull they are not technical support and the australian technical support has been closed down and moved overseas so they told me.

The australian call centre (if you want to get to them say "disconnections" when calling 137 663) whilst trying to resolve this spoke to the Tech support and ten minutes later came back to me and said they couldn't help.

So they went off and spoke to someone else and just put it down to Exchange congestion and basically to bad.

I know it's not the case so I'm trying to still sort it out myself however I did get notes put onto my account that I can disconnect at any time without incurring a charge.

Derrick
Level 4: Private Eye

After so many weeks and what must be hours on the phone to numerous people one person has found a note from the technician that went to the exchange that said that there were no ADSL 2 ports available.

Should I stop asking questions now and settle with this? It just seems strange that no one has mentioned this before, Tech Support, Local Support, Activations etc etc.... totally confused now.

Edit: This has been the first answer I have had that has made sense.. It's quite weird, I'm starting to feel like the problem customer that won't take no for an answer LOL...

But this is the first time that I have had an answer that makes sense, to which I was after, a simple yes or no and fix my account so everythign aligns.

Jian1
Level 2: Rookie

Hi,
Is good to see this case. However, my problem is quite similar to this. I can see from the DSL connection setting I'm connecting with G 992.5 which is exactly a ADSL2+ connection. The issue is that I'm still receiving ADSL1 speed which the downstream speed is only around 2,840 Kbps. Can someone please help me to solve the problem? The Internet is extremely slow!

Thanks
Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jian1, 

There are several factors which will impact the speed of your ADSL connection, these include:

- Type of network equipment and cabling

- Length of network cabling between your premises and the ADSL DSLAM

- Internal cabling and filtering

- Capabilities of the modem and computer/devices

- Browser add-ons.

- The presence of virus' or malware on your devices.

- Number of devices connected to the modem at the same time

- If connected via WiFi or LAN cable

- Which processes are running on each device eg: cloud services, file sharing, virus activity etc.

Due to these factors, there is no guaranteed minimum speed, however speeds below 1 mbps will be investigated if you report this via our Tech Support Team on 133 933 or https://livechat.telstra.com/.

The following link provides further information on how to confirm the speed available to your modem, and my previous post on this thread advises of some general troubleshooting to ensure that your equipment is configured to get the most out of your service: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Testing-your-broadband-speed/ta-p/278139

Whirlpool has a good article that explains the relationship between attenuation, cable distance and speed which you can find here: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/dslam_speeds

If you continue to have concerns regarding your ADSL speed after reviewing the above links, then please contact Tech Support on 133 933 so that they can perform further tests on the network

- Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Outspokencarpet

Dont give people Telstra Tech Support number , they have no idea what goes on and they use a print out for troubleshooting with each answer being ...Its your modem or I'll esculate that.

Isnt crowd support enough evidence to show excaly how Telstra cant help with their products but charge you over the top amounts with the excuse of excellent service ... What service ???

Stop doing Telstra's work . If you havent got anything better to do ...find something and let Telstra get off their A##

These people who need help should ring bloody Telstra.. and speak to the real people who get paid for it. Its Telstra problem and not yours to fix ..move on

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit