yamum123
Level 1: Cadet

ADSL2+ Speed and Quality Beerwah

Hi All/Telstra,

I'm not exactly sure if I have a problem/complaint yet, I just have some questions that I'd like answered from someone more knowlegable than myself. 

I currently live in Beerwah QLD approximatly 3km from the exchange. I don't beleive there is any particular problem with our connection, but for ADSL2+ it is horedously slow. The speed I most often get is generally around 1.5mbps downstream and 150ms ping, with very rare spikes of upto 5mbps; however alot of the time its not unusual to have a ping over 900ms and a download speed of 0.5mbps. 

From what I understand, being located around 3km from the exchange, this should give me a line attenuation of approximatly 42dB and a download speed of 8mbps. Reading the information off the current connection status on my router, I get a downstream attenuation of 45dB, and upstream of 26.8dB. So from this am I correct in saying I should expect a download speed of about 7mbps?? With the actual attenuation measured at my router being so close to what it theoretically should be, am I also correct in thinking that this would suggest there isn't a problem with the line quality??

After some reseach into the Beerwah exchange on the Telstra Wholesale website, I found that there are currently no ports availible, in either 8mbps or 20mbps. Could it be possible that my line is connected to an 8mbps port instead of a 20mbps port as I would expect?? (modem says maximum download speed of 8125kbps) Would I also be correct in thinking the Beerwah exchange is extreamly overloaded (high traffic and running at capacity, i.e. no availible ports) and this could be the cause of the terrible connection??

If this is the case, and my connection is slow and intermittent due to overloading of the exchange, what action can I take to get something done about it? I understand from my previous research there is currently no plans to upgrade the Beerwah exchange, I'm assuming because of the NBN rollout, however we are not due to have NBN availible to us till the end of 2020 as is the case for the majority of Beerwah.

Any help on these would be great. Thanks for your help.

Dylan

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: ADSL2+ Speed and Quality Beerwah

The max speed on the modem is your sync rate, given your distance even if you are on a ADSL2+ port it would likely show something around that anyway. 

What does it show as the DSL type in the stat page? That can help work out which type of port you are on. Although to be honest, at the distance you are the difference between 1 and 2+ is minimal.

Does the speed differentiate between times of day, as in if you have been able to does it run faster outside of the times of 3pm-midnight? Or does it run about the same?

What does it show as your actual line speed (not the max line speed)?

If it is congestion, there isn't much that can be done to be honest. The network is managed by Wholesale who have to make the commerical decision on network management and expansion and with the nbn looming right there sometimes it isn't viable for them to really invest in the network in the way that sometimes is required, so sometimes the exchange is at maximum capacity as in floor space and resources in the exchange mean that even if it was viable it just wouldn't be possible to expand it (Noosa used to be amonst those as an example from memory) 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

yamum123

Hi DrQ,

Please see a snapshot of the page on my router below:2.PNG

I have just noticed the 22 packets lost downstream as well since restarting the modem this afternoon.

Thanks heaps for your information, at least that conrfirms to me I should theoretically be seeing around 7mbps still depending on exchange traffic load.

I completly understand the viability concerns of upgrading the exchange, however as far as the NBN is concerned, the combined idiots of council and some residents have knocked back two planned locations for NBN Fixed Wireless towers which would service me and 3000 other residents in Beerwah, as only around 1000 are getting Fiber to the Node I believe. This means that the completion date has been pushed back to the end of 2020. Do you know of any more official paths I could take to make a complaint, or request? As I really don't want to be putting up with this for the next 3 years as you could appreaciate along with basically the whole of Beerwah.

EDIT: Also is there any advantage to connecting using PPPoA vs PPPoE? And yes the connection is noticably slower duing peak usage (3pm-midnight) however it still stuggles to get over 2.5mbps in off peak.

Thanks

Please Note: I have no idea why my username is yamum123 and I cant change it...

DrQ

If you want to update your username just send a private message to @DanK or I think maybe @Deanna can do it too. - he loves when I refer everyone to him. Just click the link for their username and it should take you to their profile and you should see a "send private message" button that should get you through to an email style page.

You can lodge an official complaint but again, that goes to TRetail as the retail provider who then feed it back to TWholesale who then decide on if it is viable or not so if you are waiting for approval for FW towers it is likely that it might not be viable. I mean it may not hurt but it may not help. Http://Telstra.com/complaints

Ok so by that DSL type you are def on ADSL2+ port, if they had ADSL1 ports I would actually have suggested getting moved down but since both are full it likely isn't possible and prob wouldn't help but sometimes if 2+ is full but 1 isn't the congestion is less on 1 so it can make a better experience. In this case likely not possible and could be exactly the same too.

You could also speak to tech support and see if you have any interleaving turn on. It can be turned on to help increase stability on noisy lines and the like but it does lower speeds so you could get them to try change it to remove interleaving or a different level if it is on. Again may or may not help, it is really hard to say specifically.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

yamum123

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated. 

I'll have a go at your suggestions and make a complaint, may not do alot I guess but its worth a try.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit