CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

ADSL2+ Speeds Slow for the past month - Ropes Crossing, NSW 2760

Hi all,

Title basically says all, my ADSL2+ connection has been intermittently running awfully slow over the past month, moreso over the past week and a half with moderate speeds (7-10mbps) returning at around 1am-2am at night but reduced again anytime after 6 or so.

I've been with Telstra since January and prior to all this I was getting speeds no slower than 17mbps guaranteed anytime throughout the day/night.

I think the rain further deteoriates the speed as it has been raining alot just recently and the speeds have come to snails pace yet again (Could it have something to do with the Rain?)

I have tried the usual and have run a speedtest from speedtest.net after each step:

-Rebooting the Router

-Resetting the Router to Default Factory Settings

-Modem already has latest firmware

-Disabling all firewalls on the Router

-Directly plugging in with Ethernet

-Swapping Ethernet cables

-Swapping Ethernet Ports on Modem

-Disabled Wi-Fi entirely

-Swapping the RJ11 phone line cable

-Directly plugging the RJ11 cable from the modem into the wall (bypassing the ADSL filter)

-Used a fresh Ubuntu and Windows 7 image

-Disabled Firewalls on all devices

I believe I have done everything I can on my end. Please let me know if there is anything else to be done.

Below are the rated speeds and details from my Modem for reference:

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Speed test just now

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: ADSL2+ Speeds Slow for the past month - Ropes Crossing, NSW 2760

bump

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

It is most likely the Netflix phenomenum.  I am on high speed cable and my speeds have dropped by a factor of 10 in the evenings since Netflix arrived a few weeks ago.

If you need the speed, download and web surf during the day or wait for the NBN if it ever arrives.

So is it congestion? Also, my area has Opticomm fibre on selected streets and as I live in a Townhouse Complex, I don't think i'll ever see FTTP or even FTTN for that matter...

Highlighted

Well, I've called Telstra and they've informed me that there is no congestion as there are ports still available at my Exchange. Having a technician come out in a week to see whats up.

1 reply since initial post...Crowd Support isn't that supportive. Smiley Sad

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit