belato
Level 2: Rookie

An alternative broadband provider?

Anyone know a good alternative home wifi & home phone provider other than Telstra? Stayed on hold on the phone for about an hour a few weeks ago wanting to get some assistance with why our home wifi was cutting in & out and was at other times very slow. We hadn't even used 10% of our monthly data allowance. The man attempting to help had no idea why it was happening but suggested, without confidence, that our modem may have been too old. He said he would call me back the next night after he had investigated further. He didn't. So I clicked on the text message link he had sent me and someone completely different called me back. When I said I didn't want to have to go through all the issues again with someone else he said he would get the previous staff member to call me. I am still waiting. We are still experiencing the same issues and are unable to watch Netflix properly, for example, as it stops and starts when the internet service does. There are no email addresses available to contact Bigpond on & the wait time for online chat was excessive so I contacted the email migration online chat team via a link I had received recently. They called me & said they'd transfer me to the correct team. I requested an email address to contact them on as I do not feel like spending another hour on the phone while they ask me to go through all the checks for about about the 500th time. She confirmed that it is not possible to contact any Telstra Customer Support Staff via email (!) and transferred me to the phone line. After waiting another 20 mins on hold I had to hang up as I do not have another hour to waste waiting for Telstra again. Luckily, I am out of contract & can change providers, however, I have no idea about who is good or not. Anyone used Internode?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Neroli
Level 2: Rookie

Re: An alternative broadband provider?

I'm currently on hold with the Phillipines where the alleged support is run from now, having gone round and round in circles for an hour with Dinah the girl who doesn't understand what I'm getting at or refuses to accept it.
All I want is to know how to set the stupid "Max" to be a bridge so I can run my perfectly running system through my Netgear router. Can I get that without paying ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY DOLLARS? No I can't.
I've been with Bigpond for many many years and have never had such a bad experience. All I want is to talk to someone that has a clue for five minutes so they can tell me a setting and here I am COMPLETELY FRUSTRATED and writing on some board that will probably be deleted. Hmm. Control C.
Jagaf
Level 21: Augmented

That will depend on what service your after. Do you have access to NBN, there are many Internet providers.

Ericomalley
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Your not the only one having constant disruptions and i think its time for all the telcos and NBN co to come clean and tell us the truth they simply are causing the problems to profit,

Asfor your modem i had same thing months not long after swapping to telstra staff told me it was my modem got a new one and same thing happen weeks later rung again some answer got another modem same problem within a month this time i said i did not want another modem cause the issue is not the modems.

After some investigations turns out it was NBN co working on the lines. and it was slowing down the connection cause they put us on a business line that was slow while they carry out maintence.

Then months after that we had a series of telstra outages it cause family members to argue with me cause their friends were not having the same problems turns out those on FTTP fibre to the premise do not have the same outages as those on FTTN Fibre to the Node and ADSL users.

As i am on FTTN we experince the issues too of other dragging down our connection on the copper lines from the box to the premises the liberals have really **bleep**ed up the NBN rollout and its cause issues.

Ericomalley

Currently my NBN connection is dropping in and out started yesterday can hardly play my online games another week of poor services

Ericomalley

Liberals should just get out of the way and let the NBN co put in the fibre to the wall socket the original plan and let telco spent the money not buy cheap china products.

DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being

Telstra don't have email contacts for support, the reason they list mostly is because internet is not a secure medium so they don't use it for support for privacy reasons.

If you wanted to get your issue fixed, you could lodge an official complaint, once allocated a case manager, I have found that you can usually communicate with them via email (because they have validated your details already). Either that or call 132200 and say "disconnect" (9am-9pm M-F ACST) and speak to the adelaide based disconnection team who may be able to help you or will at least be able to help you with the churning process.

Neroli, you can actually say pretty much anything you want on CS and will not have it deleted as long as your post doesn't break the community guidelines (things like swearing and the like).

Do you have the ADSL, NBN or the Cable gateway max that you want to bridge? Because the community can help with that one but does depend on which one as to how to do it.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

DrQ

Also, Don't fool yourself, FTTP has outages and drop outs and the like too... even prior to the liberals changing the plans people with FTTP had issues, because the NBN in general is just a poorly conceived system... by both parties...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit