Level 2: Rookie

Another ADSL NO PORT Complaint !!!

Another ADSL NO PORT Complaint !!!

Reading through other similar customers who are going through similar problems to me, I cannot fathom how extremely poor Telstra looks at not being able to provide it's customers, especially ones who are not in remote areas(Sydney Area), with ADSL speeds.
How are you upgrading to a National Broadband Network, when you can't even provide your customers with just an ADSL connection? I am surprised that Telstra is able to get away with this even though there are so many people waiting like this in pointless queue(which doesn’t even exist as a fair go!!) Way to do business, go Telstra!!

I recently purchased my own unit and proceeded to go through all the hoops of having my address checked as ADSL2 compatible. I was told that it was and I proceeded to sign up through 4 different ISP's inlcuding Telstra. I finally got just my home phone connected through Telstra after almost 6 missed appointments from Telstra after three months of my initial transfer of services request I put through TPG from whom I got my services initially. After going directly through Telstra (2 missed appointments later) it wasn't until my third phone call to Activations that someone knowledgeable was able to tell me that there are no ports currently available for my area through Telstra(Parklea - I am a km from the exchange). Then I had advised Telstra to please provide me with a landline service alone where at least I can get ADSL through others as advised by Telstra and other providers. This was to make sure we get an actual path for the ADSL. Finally, after connecting I tried through TPG again to see if I can get any available ports which they might have. Now, they are telling me that I can’t have ADSL because there is no ports available in the exchange where all the infrastructure is available only from Telstra. My problem was Telstra knew this all along and never mentioned that I had to apply and wait for my ADSL.

The next biggest thing I discovered, when talking to Activations, is that you don't have an AUTOMATIC process for people to be placed in a queue for an ADSL2 port. Are you serious? Is Telstra living in the Dark Ages that of all the system engineers that you employ, you aren't able to provide a system that automatically allocates a port to an ADSL customer on standby awaiting someone to move?

Do you really expect me to contact live chat or phone everyday, and place an order for an ADSL? Is that what I have to do? All Telstra suggests me is to get a mobile broadband which is more expensive than the Telstra ADSL service itself. Firstly I couldn’t get my preferred ISP who provides me unlimited internet and ADSL 2+ speeds and free calls to home country all for just 80 dollars a month and then they want me to fork out twice the money for another 24 months for a far lesser product! Apparently the infrastructure upgrades to the areas is under freeze it seems because of NBN upgrades which I could expect in the near 3 years time it seems and they said it’s part of government legislations it seems. It is in the area where people are paying almost half a million dollars almost to get a decent land and more and more areas are getting released in the area by the government every month in Kellyville,Ponds,Schofields near our area too where there is no current infrastructure even available let alone better ones.

After having made an official complaint with their complaints department I thought I am going to get at least proper answers from the Telstra team. Otherwise I was dealing with almost 20 different people giving me their own understanding of how the ADSL may or may not work in my place. After I got just the landline connected I got a call from their case manager who was far from helping but just offered me a months fee off for the home phone service! The only other thing she could do was disconnect my service and I could go and get connected elsewhere! Which means we don’t care go and try and connect for yourself if you can!!! Because no one else can provide service to our area apparently and this is the case. So I closed the complaint thinking now that I got a landline let me at least focus on getting my Internet sorted rather than fighting and stressing about things beyond my control. However I soon realised I am back to square one because of the no port status in the exchange.

I re-activated this complaint thinking I might get the same case manager so I don’t have to explain myself again! Things took a really bad dive after that. She was saying all she could do was provide me a dissatisfied customer letter to TIO(Ombudsman) and disconnect my service or wait for broadband to happen at my place in which case I wont have a letter to move to TIO. Then she goes on about where they don’t have to legally provide us with ADSL because its not deemed to be an essential service like a telephone line or so. I was literally arm twisted and forced to get into a 24 month contract into Telstra because otherwise I would never get a ADSL at my place. Then she sells me a $144 dollars modem which is apparently not in the package and I need to buy it to use it with Telstra. Upon checking with Telstra retail store after that, I was told apparently it was all part of the 24 months package and if I had own modem they don’t need me to change to a new modem. In between this call I had to raise my voice to keep her calm because she started getting aggressive with me! All along her attitude was either wait or I will cancel your home phone too and you might not get ADSL anywhere too. She was though happy for me to go to TIO wouldn’t give me a dissatisfied letter and keep my wait list active it seems. The worst part was upon completion of the sale she said to me “Even though you didn’t intend to be with Telstra we are glad you have signed up with us!” – which was still fine but then went on to say “ As everything in life you should understand you can’t have everything in life as you want”. After 45 mins of this case manager’s rather less abusive call, I had to hang up after this! I had no words after this!

I had called Telstra three times after this to speak to someone who can talk sense! First time I was advised someone will get back to me within 2 days since their systems were down which never happened! Second time after waiting in queue for 30 mins without any response I had to hang up on the call. Third time was this morning where I was advised someone will call me back but I will get the same answer again though apparently as advised by another case manager who did not want to even listen to my problem. He was the one now advised me that apparently they could send me a dissatisfied customer letter and still keep me in the non existent queue for the ADSL. God knows how many issues I am going to have even if I went to TIO after this!

I really didn't think Telstra(Australian premium service provider boasting about their customer’s peace of mind guarantee on their million dollar ad campaigns) was so far behind in this regard and also had this sort of Case managers for dealing with complaints. I guess I never thought that not having ports available would be an issue. I have spent almost 30-40 hours in phone with Telstra to sort this issue out where it should have been just a matter of 2 hours where I had to get my home phone connected and waited for a port being available within 2 to 12 weeks as they advise all the time but no guarantee for that too. Apparently after three months I have to call and re apply it seems! While the wonderful case manager has advised me to call only after 6 months!! Is there anything anyone to do to help this situation for atleast others who don’t have to go through this! I sincerely do hope no one has to go through this stressful experience just for a ADSL!!!

I'm not happy at all and feeling so let down and stressed because of Telstra. You should have far better systems and procedures in place in this day and age to avoid customers being placed in to this position and we certainly don’t wanted to be treated this way.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Another ADSL NO PORT Complaint !!!

Hi Naveen96,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience in attempting to arrange an ADSL service, and we're sorry that your experience with us, and attempting to get ADSL hasn't been positive.  

Generally in the case where ports aren't available, we are now simply able to advise this at the time of starting an order for an ADSL service, so that the customer involved doesn't need to go through the entire ordering process to find out that ADSL isn't available, so we're sorry that this didn't happen in your case. 

Regrettably though we aren't able to provide a timeframe surrounding when you'll be able to get a port, and reapplication is required to do so. You can reapply as soon as every month if you like, as we now have a process to automatically hold an order for 30 days if a port is about to come out of quarantine. So the fact that this hasn't happened for you means that there likely aren't any ports becoming available within the nex

We hope that you are able to get an ADSL port sooner rather than later.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 1: Cadet

I live in Australia's capital city and in another words 10km from the city centre of a fisrt world country. Telstra doesn't have a port for me for about 6 months now. Two families moved in to our complex recently and they straightaway got ADSL 2 and they didn't have any ports issue. Probably technician liked them and a sweet chat?

I have been with Telstra for about 13 years. I am not a fool but there wasn't any alternative. I am heavily relying on Wireless and Wifi. Telstra recenlty sending us a web site about dangers of Wifi and micro wave based communication but don't provide a port for us to get out that danger.

The questions I have is how those two families who moved in many months later could b -pass me and got the missing port. Two ports are now given. This is the only I noticed and always people come and go from this place.

I am planning to send a letter to Chief minister Katy G about this discrimination. Chief minister is planning to give away free wifi to the capital city. Would she worry about this elector?

Some thing is very wrong here, she is using my tax contributed funds to give away free stuff. 

Is there any one got a port recenly may be after 6 months? 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hi Yanii

When there is a shortage of ADSL ports, there is no waiting list, so it is quite conceivable that  a port has become available in recent times and your neighbours have picked it up. 

If you are waiting on a port, we recommend that you contact us on a regular basis to see if there is any ports that may have come available 

I know this is confusing, but there is no discrimination, it is a matter of first in, first served I'm afraid

-   Lindy 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Dear yanii I feel for you and am left wondering the same way!!! Lindy sorry to be rude but I thought yanii has clearly mentioned two people have moved in after him !!! How the heck is that a fair system. Please stop saying at least it's a fair system!!!

Stephen thanks for the incomplete copy paste! You couldn't even complete your pre typed answer.

Sorry Steph

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit