nothappymate
Level 2: Rookie

Another ADSL2 NO PORT Complaint

Reading through other similar customers who are going through similar problems to me, I cannot fatham how extremely poor Telstra looks at not being able to provide it's customers, especially ones who are not in remote areas, with ADSL2 speeds. How are you upgrading to a National Broadband Network, when you can't even provide your customers with ancient ADSL2 speeds?

I recently purchased my own unit and proceeded to go through all the hoops of having my address checked as ADSL2 compatible. I was told that it was and I proceeded to sign up to a Telstra Elite bundle which included the works. Home phone, ADSL2, T-Box, Thub2, and Foxtel from T-Box.

Firstly, I ask, how is it that when us customers apply, at the order stage, and you check whether ADSL2 (as well as Foxtel from T-Box) can be provisioned at an address, that the system doesn't automatically check whether or not a port is available. Surely a check needs to be done considering how much bandwidth Foxtel from T-Box uses?

That is my first gripe, especially considering how long the order has taken to provision (over 3 weeks).

It wasn't until my third phone call to Bigpond Activations that someone knowledgable was able to tell me that there are no ports currently available for my area (Wodonga - I am a km from the exchange). Thiswas after 2 phone calls to say the technician had programmed the incorrect telephone codes to my line. What lies! This was also a week after my installation had been completed.

Wodonga (Victoria), whilst being regional, is an area that you would think would have an abundance of ADSL2 ports. How is it that Telstra have not provisioned extra ports? But continue to roll out the NBN? What about ensuring that your regional customers can get basic ADSL2 speeds before flaunting the NBN?

The next biggest thing I discovered, when talking to Activations, is that you don't have an AUTOMATIC process for people to be placed in a queue for an ADSL2 port. Are you serious? Is Telstra living in the Dark Ages that of all the system engineers that you employ, you aren't able to provide a system that automatically allocates a port to an ADSL customer on standby awaiting someone to move?

Do you really expect me to contact livechat, everyday, and place an order for an upgrade? Is that what I have to do?

It's all well and good to spruce this Top Hat invention, but that doesn't help me now. I would have went with another provider (Internode perhaps) who could have provisioned their own ADSL2 speeds to me, but now you have me literally by the go-nads on a contract when you are not providing the service that I was promised.

So I guess I have to log on to Livechat for half an hour, every day, requesting an order be placed for my line to be upgraded. I really didn't think Telstra was so far behind in this regard. I guess I never thought that not having ports available would be an issue.

I'm not happy. You should have systems and procedures in place to avoid customers being placed in to this position.

I now have Foxtel, that uses 90% of my internet connection on ADSL1, when I wouldn't have wanted it in the first place. Telstra, you need better systems in place to prevent these types of situations from happening to your customers. Furthermore, surely assigning a system engineer to create an automatic standby procedure for your customers awaiting a spare port.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
36 REPLIES 36
Greg_Buch
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Another ADSL2 NO PORT Complaint

Hi nothappymate - while ADSL2+ may not be available in all areas, we are working to expand the network with initiatives such as the Top Hat program that you've mentioned.

Initial tests are performed when an order is placed to confirm that a broadband connection can be sustained, and further tests to confirm port availability and the type of connection are performed once an order is submitted and a technician has been assigned to visit the exchange.

At the moment the provisioning of ports is based on orders being placed after one becomes available (if a customer disconnects or switches to standard ADSL), but I've forwarded your suggestion of a booking system for provisioning to our Product Development team.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Dan-torquay
Level 1: Cadet

I feel like you are living my life at the moment! I am having the exact same issue.

I live in Torquay VIC and recently moved house. I run an online business from home so needless to say Internet is crucial. Before selecting our new home I called Telstra and got them to check for an ADSL2 connection at the potential new address, they said everything checked out so we proceeded with the move. Here is the crazy part, we moved less than 1km down the road and after 5min of the phone and Internet being connected I noticed something majorly wrong. Performing speed tests on the line I couldn’t pull anything faster than 3Mbps down and that was actually good, I have tested the line pretty much every day and the speeds vary from 3Mbps down to as low as 0.36Mbps (mostly after 3:30 when the school kids get home guess) I can not run a business off these speeds let alone stream any kind of movie in my free time. So currently I’m locked into paying $100 a month for an ADLS1 connection (8Mbps) which speeds are already less than half of ADSL2. It doesn’t stop there though, to add insult to injury the ADSL1 exchange I’m currently on is so over loaded that my speeds have more that halved again giving me the 3Mbps or less speed.

In calling Telstra I got the exact answers that you did, no ADSL2 ports available, no waiting list just call back every day (ARE YOU CRAZY!!! I’ve already waisted 2 hours a day 4 days in a row, most of which I was on hold for).

You’ll have to take my word for it but I never comment in forums however I specially signed up to this one to voice my frustration with Telstra.

This is not good enough by a long shot. To use nothappymate’s words “you have me literally by the go-nads on a contract when you are not providing the service that I was promised.”

nothappymate

Initial tests are performed when an order is placed to confirm that a broadband connection can be sustained, and further tests to confirm port availability and the type of connection are performed once an order is submitted and a technician has been assigned to visit the exchange.

Thanks for the reply Greg. Using this information, why then would I have not been advised that a port wasn't available at either:

Point (1) The order being submitted

Point (2) The technician visiting the exchange

Why is it that we don't find out that a port isn't available until AFTER you have us connected and signed up and in my case, three days after connection! Surely that is against your service standards? So does this mean that I am able to disconnect my internet connection with you, and subscribe to Internode who have told me that ADSL2+ IS available on their exchange, PRIOR to even placing an order!

Will my contract be waived? I have not received the service that you promised in my initial order and I am really annoyed.

The Top Hat program is extremely hard to follow. And it doesn't help me in my current situation. Promising a program that will/may eventually give me ADSL2 speeds is a bit condescending. Especially when I was promised it prior to moving.

Shouldn't your system automatically allocate us customers a port prior to installation? If a port isn't available, shouldn't your system inform us, as your paying customer, that we won't be provisioned an ADSL2 connection? Why wait until you have us on a contract and/or installed?

And how a standby system isn't a part of your provisioning system, I don't know. I would have thought that would be the first thing that you would have created. Especially with Telstra's whole focus on being 'Digital' now. You're creating more phone calls to your Activations line!

I am really annoyed and would like someone from Telstra to help me here. I have much better things to be doing then ringing you or waiting for you on live chat every day asking to place an order for a service that you promised I would have in the beginning!

Your forums are full of these types of complaints and yet you do nothing.

Can a supervisor please inform me whether I will have a cancellation fee waived if I move my Internet service provider to Internode? If not, I will be asking the Telecommunications Ombudsman to be involved, as this all is so very wrong, especially in today's modern world.

nothappymate

Hi Dan,

Our stories sound very similar. Telstra needs to do something about this. I can't believe with all the 'no port' complaints, that a automatic system has not been developed. 'Top Hat' is fine to help fix the infrastructure problem, but it does not fix the service problem!

I hope you get a Port sooner rather then later mate. You might have to ring Bigpond and ask if there would be any cancellation fees, I want to be released from my contract as Internode were able to confirm for me, prior to installation, that ADSL2 is available (including ports!) prior to my order being placed. Innovation right there hey!

nothappymate

Is this board moderated by Telstra? I know Greg responded, however I would like someone to actually help me who is in a position to do something.

Or have I been put in the 'too hard basket' and forced to ring the international call centre again, where they don't understand what I am saying.
ShannonD
Support Team
Support Team

Hi nothappymate,

What Greg has mentioned is correct. You're best to place an order for an upgrade & if there's any work required that we need to do on our end, this will cause it to happen however in some case it's just not possible in which case the order will not go through.

-Shannon

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

nothappymate

Hi Shannon,

Please re-read what I have written. Your sales team ASSURED me that I would be connected on ADSL2.

Did you know that Internode use your own exchange where I am located, and they have a standby system for Ports? If Internode can do that, with Telstras own equipment, why can't Telstra do it!

Please re-read my comments! I would prefer to churn to Internode and be on their standby system then having to place an order EVERY day with Telstra! I don't want to be charged cancellation fees however!
Deimos

Hey nothappymate our stories are very very similar. Its beyond a joke. So far I have gone through 3 ISPs (Telstra being one of them) all saying they have ports and signing me up only for me to have to call back a week later and find out that I can not have ADSL due a a port shortage and my line having Excessive Transmission Loss. After talking to someone on live chat this afternoon I found out that its not a port shortage rather the lines are not able to sustain ADSL. Which is funny as the people that lived in this house (I even saw it as they were using the internet when they moved out, they moved out they day we moved in.) so I know this house had internet before, but now it cant. He also told me that there are no plans to add more ports, or upgrade the lines as the NBN is coming soon. I called NBN, underadvisment of telstra, to find out when it was coming thinking it was only going to be a couple of weeks to at most a couple of months. Nope!! its going to take a couple of years, The NBN lady used my address and said we are looking at a start date of dec 2014 and a finishing date dec 2015. So we are meant to have no internet for 2 years. What a joke.

Chinabull

I am **bleep**ing same as u. Telstra is really bad. If there is no ppl to move out from ur suburb within 10years you have to w8 4 this in this long period.
Good luck
Chinabull

By the way I am from Edwardstown SA 5039
nothappymate

Can a moderator ask the person in charge of provisioning to please comment on this topic.

You now have FOUR unhappy customers! Imagine how many are out there that haven't bothered to post now or previously or those that won't in the future.

The MOST ANNOYING THING is that your new advertisement states that you LISTEN TO US! What a joke! This has obviously been a problem for sometime yet my suggestion (Standby for Port Orders automatically being assigned) is the first time it has been considered. Whereas at Internode, they have the ability to do this, using your own exchange.

If Internode have a standby system for port availability, why can't Telstra when it is Telstra's infrastructure that Internode are using (in Wodonga's exchange case).

Just avoiding this topic get's us more irate. As I mentioned, the Top Hat program is looking at eventually fixing the infrastructure problem, but what about the service and back of house problem that you have at the moment with assigning ports as they become available!! It's a lucky dip right now! How can you run a business like this.

Moderators, I ask that you please send an email to the head of provisioning, or the appropriate person, who can look at what I have said. You haven't commented on me being able to be released from my contract, nor have you offered any assistance. Yet other peoples threads are being commented on. Have a break from commenting on Facebook comments and ask to get this topic actioned.

Thank you.

nothappymate

Wondering if anyone from Telstra can be bothered reading what I have actually written and respond. CrowdSupport. Pfff.

JustinB
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi nothappymate, Dan-torquay and all others,

In regards to your core concern, though I certainly appreciate your points, I can only refer back to what Greg said earlier in this thread - that at the moment, as frustrating as I acknowledge it is, the provisioning of ports is based on orders being placed after one becomes available (if a customer disconnects or switches to standard ADSL from ADSL 2+), but as Greg said, your suggestion of a booking system for provisioning has been forwarded directly from us to our Product Development and Business Improvement teams.  I appreciate this doesn't leave you with an ideal process in the meantime, but would make the point that some of the changes recommended can take a little time to be enacted due to the number of channels within the company involved in changing processes and creating new roles- in a nutshell, it's an excellent suggestion, but one that's more involved than it appears from the outside.  And though I realise it's not your most pressing concern, I would also stress that we're not upgrading to the NBN per se - NBNCo is rolling out the NBN and we'll simply be a retailer on their infrastructure.

In regards to your specific situation, nothappymate, it's clear that several mistakes were made during provisioning even forgoing the lack of ADSL2+ availability, which is extremely disappointing, and something I apologise for on the company's behalf.  I can't speak to the possibility of waiving your contract here, as I don't have your account details here, and it depends on whether you were simply shifting from an existing BigPond ADSL service to ADSL2+, or whether it was an all-new ADSL2+ service you were looking to connect to (in lieu of an ADSL1 connection with someone else) until we advised otherwise.  The best channel to enquire about this through is live chat (http://tel.st/eAUDU), as they'll be able to tell you tonight whether your contract and particular circumstances will allow for this.

- Justin

Telstra Social Media Team

nothappymate

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Firstly, my plan was a new connection. I ensured that I phoned Telstra first to ask the question whether ADSL2 would be available. The bundle that I signed up to was an ADSL2 bundle. I would not have signed up to the $130+/m plan had I known that it was going to be only ADSL1.

Therefore, that should give you an indication for you to be able to render assistance with regards to my contract and release considerations.

Secondly, with regards to the NBN, my apologies, the government did not accept Telstra's tenure, a common misconception. Therefore you would think that Telstra would be doing everything it can to secure people's business.

A question, before Telstra was privatised, the company used to offer what was called a Customer Service Guarantee. Or something similar. What this was, from my recollection, was a paid credit to a customer who had not received a service by a certain time when promised one would be provided by Telstra.

I received a credit once as Telstra was not able to connect a phone line for me for approximately 6 weeks. I received a $1200 odd credit. I believe something should be issued to customers who join your service, promised a service when one is not provided. Perhaps you can look in to whether or not Telstra still provides these types of customer service acts.

My final gripe is this. One of your Team Leaders from Activations actually told me that they would make a weekly reminder to check port availability for me, place an order, and let me know the outcome. I was to be contacted on a Friday in the PM. This was meant to start yesterday (21/6). Do you think I received a phone call? And what the hell is the go with not ever being able to speak to an Australian? I am not racist however every phone call I make to you is to someone not in Australia.

I would love for someone to help, as I will be referring my entire experience to the Telecommunications ombudsmen. I will direct them also to this thread for complaints of similar service.

Ashley
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Nothappymate,

Have you spoken with our Live Chat team on the link Justin gave you? There is a limit to the support we can provide here as CrowdSupport is not designed to replace our existing support channels. Our Live Chat team can follow up why you were not called as promised and also discuss what options we have regarding your ADSL. If needed they can also arrange for a case manager to be assigned to this issue for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

eatoff

Well, I was connected last night. After checking this morning, and a call to Telstra, I have been confirmed I am on ADSL1. I was told at the time of sign up that they "had plenty of available ADSL2 ports" available at my exchange. That was why I went with Telstra, as Internode didnt have any ADSL2+ ports, so opted for BigPond.

When I spoke to them today I asked why I had been told there were plenty of ports available and yet there were none, they didnt have a response. In fact, He promised me he would put me on the waiting list for an ADSL2+ port. Yet here I read in this thread that there is no such thing, and that I will need to continually ring up to get an upgrade.

So, have I just been lied to by the CSR about this waiting list?

nothappymate

Hey mate,

Yep. Exact same thing has happened to me, as above.

I took the advice of the Moderator, and this has happened:

1. I rang Activations and spoke with someone else. They spoke with the provisioning area who have now told me that there ARE ports available. However, he was not sure why I could not be upgraded.

2. I then contacted Live Chat who said that my line is not capable of ADSL2! WTF!!! I keep getting told different BS every day, I even asked for a case manager!

Then, when I asked about my contract, he disconnected the chat (Thanks Tim).

SURELY, Telstra CROWDSUPPORT can direct me to somewhere who might actually give a SH#T. I've followed all of your advice on here, and gotten no where.

Really, you are only a number. Because there are so many numbers of us, it's easy for us to be fobbed off. Operators are people too, and whenever they get something that is in the "Too hard basket", they seem to try to say anything just to get us to go away and give up.

nothappymate

So to all those that have viewed and commented in this thread, here is an update. You won't believe the week I have had.

Day 1:

Rang Activations. Re-explained what I am going through and demanded to speak to the head of servicing. We all know that the heads of departments will have calls filtered from being transferred through to them as no customer service agent likes escalating an issue as it is. I explained what has happened.

He rang through to the area that handles the provisioning/programming cases. Upon speaking with a consultant there, they advised him there there ARE actually ADSL 2+ ports available, it's just that I am unable to have one for reasons he was not told. Where it be a port is on a cooling of period etc.

So this goes against EVERYTHING I had been told previously. Now there were alot of ports (I doubt everyone got up and moved in the matter of a couple of days), however alot of good it did me as I still couldnt have one.

Whenever Activations tried to process the order to upgrade my line, even though there were ports, the system wouldn't process it. The consultant told me to try back in a week or so.

This would not fly with me.

Day 2: I spoke with Live Chat with a consultant called Tim who didn't want to be dealing with this issue, He told me that he has spoke with the relevant department and that I will not have ADSL2+ in the forseeable future. Whether it be due to my line connection or other factors. Once I asked about my contract, credits etc, the connection "mysteriously" disconnected. AWESOME WORK TELSTRA! /sarcasm

Day 3: I rang through to Activations again. I demanded a case manager be assigned to my case. I actually, for the FIRST TIME IN FIFTEEN + CALLS, had a knowledgable consultant! After liasing with programming/provisioning back of house, he said that a system error was preventing the order from being placed. And he would be happy to assign a case manager as I should be on ADSL2+

Telstra, how has it taken so many phone calls and online queries to FINALLY get someone COMPETENT! He gave a turn around time of 24 hours of when the case manager would be in touch

Day 5: I was advised that a service request for an upgrade was in progress and it was due to be completed by today. The order had to be manually programmed and handled and the case manager phoned me to advise this.

Day 7 (Today): I received an email saying that my order was complete. And guess what? My upload speed tripled and that was it. NO change to my download speed! So now I have to wait for an escalated call from Tech Support.

This is my current connection in the modem: 923 / 7,846

Seriously, Telstra needs to put more effort in to training their consultants. I have no idea what the problem is now with my connection but I should have been at this point weeks ago.

So Telstra support - any ideas what is happening here! YAY ADSL2+ with the same ADSL1 download speeds!

rohit_truganina

Hi There, 

I am one more frustrated customer for reasons of NO PORT Story. I signed up for Telstra Bundle with ADSL2+ 2 months ago. I signed up in start of MAY and by end of May it was all set to be activated. But on the day of activation, i waited untill end of day and ADSL didn't turned up. So i called customer care, and i came to know that Port i was allocated was not in sequence with my home phone, and that was reason i was not allocated port. 

So far it has been more than 3 month in my house (which is actually 5 yr old, and previous owned had ADSL2+), but i dont have internet access. After this incident i called them many times and every time there is same story about NO PORT. This area is rapidly developing and i checked with NBN guys about rollout, but they dont have plans till 3 years. So i am wondering how come Telstra not increasing ports?? 

After i shifted in to my house, 3 houses were connected to internet who actually shifted after me. So i have no idea how this port allocation work? 

Can anyone from Telstra please explain me? I am happy to share my details with you guys. 

Thanks, 

One of Many Frustrated Telstra Customer..!

jeffandsharonb

We have also experienced this. 2 weeks ago I spoke with a consultant to organise regular Broadband as we are currently stuck with expensive and poorly connecting wireless Broadband. We had been given the run around saying there was  a Per Gain on our street. Seriuosly Dial-up is faster and more reliable some days. So we finally get told that there has been work in our street and that we could now have regular broadband and are told the gear needed to set it up will be here in 2 weeks. The equipment arrives today and I decide to leave it till tomorrow to set it up. Just as well I left it as we got a phone call saying that there were no porst available and to send the equipment back. We would be happy with ADSL1 and can't even seem to get that. Why tell a consumer one thing and then turn around and say something different. We are not even on the NBN map anytime in the next 10 years. Considering we are only 5 minutes from the centre of a major centre this is just not good. We can't get decent internet and feel like we are being held to ransom by Telstra consultants that have no idea about what they should be doing.

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Moved:

Naveen96

MAte just wondering was your issue sorted after all this enquiries and blogs you have done? 

TNK

I have Been waiting for 13 months to be moved to ADSL2+ which might i add i have been paying for the whole time.

I moved 13months ago with ADSL2+ but when i was connected in my new home i was only given ADSL and told there where no ports. 

Over a year has past with 3 people moving in and out (i live in a block of aparments) who where given ADSL2+ straight away. I also called up after they moved out to get this magic "Port" never to get it.

They just throw stupied lines at me like "I'll try to override the system" "You are a maybe to get the next one" "they are basicly the same speeds" "have you tried turning your modem off and on?".

TheNashy

13 months is cute.  Try being told for the past 10 years that ADSL2+ DSLAMs would be made available in your area, yet they never have.

Telstra are a joke.  They couldn't give a stuff about our needs, they just care about their bottom line.

Now the excuse is the NBN, which no one knows if it is going ahead, or how the rollout will change.

LeahT93

Make that 6 unhappy customers! Telstra owns the infrastructure for all ports in our area and they're too tight to come and upgrade the infrastructure. NBN will not be rolled out in my area until 2016, and due to your lack of assistance, that means that we are unable to go through any other providers as well as Telstra. We will not place an order and pay for services that we can not utilise until it is convenient for you to get up off your arses and do something about it! If you want the business, put more ports in at your own expense!!! I wired use to pay for an upgrade when you're a billion dollar net worth company!! Get your act together Telstra or prepare to have many more unhappy customers and complaints. Just for the record, the TIO is investigating this as we speak as you have misled us twice to believe ports are available in our area and we have had to cancel two different contact acts with you lot! Unprofessional and reflects poorly on you as individuals and a business. Can you actually tell me what Telstra are going to do to compensate customers who are left with nothing through no fault of their own? Or is it just simply a scheme for Telstra to make money by charging customers expenses out of their own pocket to have ports installed!?? It's appalling and I would recommend to all unhappy customers that they contact the TIO and make a complaint! That might make them realise they aren't customer-proof and can't pull the wool over or eyes.
trent0831
Level 4: Private Eye

Plenty more unhappy customers than that....we were told a similar thing earlier in the year when telstra was offering a good bundle, that we could get adsl2, and that there was ports available...massive sales pitch, and we fell for it, and low and behold, no adsl2 ports and telstra would not even give us adsl1 because of the quality of their lines!!!!

The entire company is an absolute joke.

cbeattie

I've been waiting for a port in a metro area for 6months now, when i first signed up i was told there were ports avalible in my area of Glen Eden Qld 4680. When I moved in it wasn't untill a month later i was told that they had "misinformed me" aka Lied.

i asked to stay on the waiting list from a few months to see what would become avalible, still with nothing avalible telstra then cancelled my account twice without my permisson!!! During the first time firends of mine also in the same area was giving a port straight away when they moved in!!!

would someone please for once from telstra tell me the truth, and upgrade our area- for the love of god do not give me the "check our wholesale page" crap, i'm not going to keep doing your job for you while you keep ripping me off.

Yes you keep trying to charge me through out this whole debarkly. This has angered me greatly, also i during this whole time i've had telstra servie guys illegally entering my property as the teltra line runs through the property. I do not give permisson for them to enter my property. i'll help you, when you help me.

rjm01

Hi

I agree with everyone else - Telstra makes promises and does not deliver.

I had ADSL2+ just over 13 months ago. I upgraded my monthly quota from 200gb to 500gb as was getting close to allowance. Supposedy there was a bug in Telstra systrem and order did not automatically process.

Next thing we were slowed to dial up speed.

Made several calls to Telstra Support over the next few days and they all confirmed that problem in their system and that allow 24 hours and would be fixed but of course it was not.

Went on and on and eventually told that problem would have to be upgraded to a programmer to fix and that would take 48 to 72 hours to resolve.

Nothing happened (as usual with Telstra) and at end of billing cycle speed went back to what I initially thought was normal. Initially just happy that speed had increased.

After further investigation I discovered we were now back to just ADSL and only getting speeds of between 1/4 and 1/2 of what we had before.

I have contacted support at Telstra at least 8 times over the last 13 months and have had all types of stories the most obvious being line quality at our home and that ADSL2+ not avaiable in our area. They even suggested replacing our modem which was only 12 months old - which I did.

They sent a technician out and everything at home fine and he did a check and confirmed that ADSL2+ is available.

Obviously Telstra will not admit that they stuffed up and that the ADSL2+ port for our home was incorrectly assigned to another resident in the area.

I have Foxtel Play and at various times during the day and night it is just useless due to the connection speeds etc..

Also annoying is that Support send you a reference no and a link to contact them if problem not resolved but you never hear back.

Then of course you get a Telstra survey asking if the problem solved - if not they are also supposed to follow up but again nothing.

And of course every time you contact support you get a another person in a different State or even Country and you go through the whole explaination again - wasting more time and getting nothing resolved or even truthful answers.

ScottBarratt
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi rjm01.

Thanks for taking the time to post. If you have a chat to us here: http://tel.st/hsc3 we can access your account and follow this up with you.

Cheers

Gr8stuff

All similar to my experience. I moved house just over a year ago, about 5 minutes walk from the old place. I went through the formal Telstra moving house process to have my existing ADSL2 connection shifted over the new place.

Never happened. Was shifted back to ADSL without even being told this was being done. When I asked about this, I got all the same rubbish people have listed on this thread, that I'd need to continue to apply in case a port became available. I had a port, i was contracted for 24 months so to me it was a simple breach of contract, instead of keeping my port in the day or so while I changed houses, Telstra onsold it immediately to a new customer. I suspect this is why this happens, it's easier to sign up new customers with the promise of ADSL2, and existing customers are already under contract so who cares.

Even took it to the telecommunications ombudsman, who said they don't get involved in port issues. Still seems like an obvious breach of contract to me, I signed up and paid for a particular service, which was withdrawn from me without notice, and since then it's been a range of varieties of 'tough **bleep**' from Telstra in response.
mbroad

Another furious Telstra custromer.  After 3 years of Bigpond, and 16 years on Telstra mobile I've been going through the following for the last few weeks.  I have a feeling I'm up for a long fight with this one. 

Below is a post I made on the Telstra 24/7 page -

9/11/15 I am told by moving home "specialist" that there would be no issues in moving to new address and getting a port for internet and they have started the process. Connection will be completed on the 16/11. I work from home and adequate internet is an absolutely critical part of my living at this address.

16/11/15 While in the process of moving furniture to new property I get a call from the same "specialist" telling me there was an error and no port available.

16-17/11/15 Several calls back and forth with complaints. No resolution, no apology and no adequate solution

17/11/15 I am told by a technical department that they would now be able to disconnect the port from my previous address Unit 29/47, and reconnect at my new address - Unit 26/47. This was promised to take place today, the 23rd of November between 10-2pm. 

23/11/15 I get a call from complaints and told that there will be no port available and no connection made. Asked to discuss with supervisor/manager. Was told I would get a call back....still waiting.
In the mean time I call telstra again and am told to have any chance of getting a connection soon I must cancel the order and reapply as there is no waiting list. I talk to 2 staff members. One says I can be put on a waiting list, the second says that there is no waiting list.

Currently on hold as they cancel my order for phone and adsl, and re process an order for phone only (which I will never use) and re apply for adsl as they say this is the only way to move forward.

From this call I have now been told that there “might” be an ADSL1 port available which I have been given no other option but to apply for.

I was offered the option of wireless internet. I work in the field of media. 15gb a month at over $100 is not even remotely a viable option. I would like to be contacted by someone with a level of authority that can offer an adequate solution.

Following this post I got an updated offer later in the afternoon.  Below is the summary -

I have continuously been in touch with complaints. Finally they offered vague compensation but barely anything adequate. Option 1: 2 months free wireless internet at 25gb a month. Not adequate data but might get me out of trouble for a week or two...Then came the catch - I'd have to sign up for a 24 month contract at $165/month AND pay for a phone line to stay in the running to eventually get adsl2 connection.  
Option 2: a free prepaid dongle and 25gb data. Again a bit of a joke however at least no lock in contract.

All I can say is that my current exchange is nothing short of a joke.  I live in hope that one of my daily calls will be answered by someone with a clue and not folling the script.

Good luck to those going through the same. Keep fighting.

Mark

rooted

NO PORTS IN TARNEIT  exchange ???? Another 3000+ homes coming soon.. what the HELL ?

Moved to Tarneit recently and  was told that there is no ports available ???????????????????  WTF ?

oss111

GARDENVALE exchange in Victoria here. Cant get a clear answer out of Telstra regarding my ADSL application. No ports available. Its a bloody national disgrace that in 2015-2016 that people do not have access to a physically wired internet connection.

GARDENVALE has been full for years and nothing has been done.

Do I want 4G internet at inflated prices and limited data limits ? No. I have work to do that requires a consistent low latency connection, not the unreliable transient connection of 4G.

Additionally, Telstra has the worst customer service of all that I have delt with - I even got hung up on after waiting 40 minutes on the phone attempting to get to level 2 technical support to talk to someone who has half a clue about the industry they work in. 

Futhermore there is next to zero transperency in how telstra deals with this problem. There is simply no indicating factors regarding how long I will need to wait for an ADSL port to become available. They expect me to simply "wait" for months and months, leaving me in the dark.

The reason why Telstra havent upgraded these exchanges is because of greed. They are waiting for NBN to be rolled out which will be an addition 3 years.

Telstras greed hides perfectly behind their pathetic customer service.

jeffandsharonb

I would be pleased with even a short wait on NBN. Our street does not even appear in the 10 year forward plan. Our neighbour finally got ADSL1 after complaining to the federal member. We still get bumkis. Stuck with expensive Telstra Wireless BB (rarely is it ever 4G) as we get zero coverage from any other carrier. We are not way out in the backwoods, but less than 3 km down the road from a major centre and less than 1km from a main road. We also get constant excuses, yes ports are available 200m away in the next street, no you can't have access to them even though there are more available than the number od houses in the street, there is a per gain in your street as Telstra ran out of money so shared phone lines between houses, etc etc etc.

Yes, greed has alot to do with it, but the initial set up was down to the government before Telstra was privatised.

Shotokan

I have been with Telstgra for thirty years and from the day I signed up to their "fast" ADSL I have never been able to get any sppeds in excess of 3-4 mbps. When I enquired they said that my Broadband was only ADSL and my obvious response was to complain that I had been sold a :dud". I was told initially that my ADSL was ADSL 2 but I then found out that I got snail mail ADSL. Their response was as usual pure "fluff" No ports available. I have been trying fro 2 years to get onto the ADSL2 port since 2012. I have given up as I have come to the conclusion that they"Telstra" are a bunch of liars and I have got so frustrated with the usual "bull" from them that I willl be moving my business to TPG whether or not they can give me ADSL2 is irrelevant, I just want to get out of using Telstra. If there was a way of using an overseas Telco I would gladly do so. End.

jeffandsharonb

I would love to have an sort of ADSL and as for speed some days we are lucky to get 15kbps on our wireless BB. Yes, it is that slow and wireless BB was the only BB available to us. Dial up was much faster and they won't let us switch back. Other telcos are not an option as we get very poor mobile wireless reception due to what can only be described as a Telstra monopoly in our area.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit