SignOfTheTimes
Level 3: Gumshoe

Arcadyan LH1000 stuck on LTE mode

Answered

Hi All,

Just moved into new premises that is NBN enabled FTTC. Received two modems now and an NBN visit to check on connection but the SmartModem is always defaulting to LTE mobile mode. After a few troubleshooting sessions received second modem today and same result although I did notice it upgrade the firmware as follows;

Firmware version: 0.12.15r

Boot version: 1.0.38-116.118

However - still the same result. Logs show persistent entries every minute:

DHCPv4: WAN0 REBIND SEND DISCOVER

Have performed numerous reset and reboots, tried other smart modems with the same result: no IPv4 address, and always on LTE mode.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance! Thinking about buying a different modem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Arcadyan LH1000 stuck on LTE mode

It could also be a Telstra programming error.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Do you have a homephone with your NBN? Does that work?

If there are now two modems that won't switch out of 4G Backup bode, I would suspect your NBN Internet service is faulty. If the NBN is OK the modem will detect it as working and switch to that mode (Green Indication) of its own accord after a few minutes. If the NBN service is faulty a different modem probably won't work either.

Have you checked you have all connections plugged in correctly (particularly the NBN service connected into the DSL port) and maybe try changing the cables to confirm they are OK. Are you connecting to the correct wall outlet? Did the NBN tech check all that? Did the tech confirm that the modem was working correctly before leaving or give you any advice?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SignOfTheTimes

Hi SteveW_52,

Thanks for the response. I haven’t tried connecting a phone to the modem yet as I didn’t think it would work given it can’t be provisioned yet until it connects. No other wall sockets and the NBN tech confirmed this.  Both Telstra and NBN acknowledge they can see the NBN NTD box and he showed that there is good line quality. I have tried different cables as well.  The NBN NTD box shows all blue lights are up - the tech replaced this as well just in case.

SteveW_52

In LTE mode, the modem defaults to IPV6 only mode..

You can change that by going into the modem settings..

When connected to the modem (cable or Wi-Fi)

Open a browser, type in 192.168.0.1 then enter

Open the Advanced options, Internet and then select the LTE tab

Go down to Mobile Configuration and use the PDP type to select IPv4v6  then save..

You can exit the GUI unless there are other connectivity issues with Wi-Fi etc..

Latest LH1000 firmware should be at least 0.13.01r  but the updating is automatically pushed out by Telstra..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
SteveW_52

If the NTD box is all lit up, is there a cable between it and the modem WAN port (red)? If there are multiple ethernet ports on the NTD, try a different one. Are there any indicators showing on those ethernet ports?

It might be you have been unlucky with getting two faulty modems, but that is probably unlikely even for Telstra.....  not sure if any power cycling would affect your situation, but maybe try power cycling the NTD and the modem..

If you get into the modem GUI, have a look at the Internet Access tab on the Internet page and see what info is there.

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Did the tech try connecting the NTD box to the modem and confirming it worked?

I am wondering if perhaps, as a new service, the internet service hasn't been provisioned properly..  

Registering a DECT handset or plugging a handset in to the phone port would help chek if the service is provisioned (handset will also work in 4G mode)..

Stevo 52
SignOfTheTimes

Thanks again Stevo.

Yes - the standard yellow and red cable that Telstra supply is connected (crossover looks like). There is only one port on the NTD box and I’ve switched cables just in case. The blue LAN light is on at the NTD and the WAN/DSL on the modem side is green indicating they are connected at least. 

In the Internet Access tab: it shows a connected status but it is LTE routed mode. I can see an IPv6 IP address, prefix, dns and gateway but none of the IPv4 ones. The WAN supervision is BFD and the PPP credential is a generic “newdsluser” 

SteveW_52

The modem ports are auto detecting so no crossover cable is involved - I thing the cable colours are more to do with the ports they plug into..

If you have a device you can connect by ethernet cable, you could try connecting that device with the cable from the modem WAN port (leave it plugged in to the NTD), then see if you can get an internet connection on the device..  browse to a web page or such like..

NTD and modem look the be connected electrically at least, but perhaps the internet service itself is not yet provisioned fully. The modem would sense that as the internet service failed and switch you to 4G Mode..

You could try power cycling the modem at least and see what happens when it is fully stable..

Stevo 52
cf4

What colour are the lights on the back of the modem?

SignOfTheTimes

OK thanks for this - although it sounds like this is more of a configuration option.  I thought perhaps forcing IPv4 would force a connection but I guess LTE can use either. Just as an addition the logs are registering this message every minute:

30.03.2021 13:06:55 DHCPv4: WAN0 REBIND Send Discover
30.03.2021 13:07:59 DHCPv4: WAN0 REBIND Send Discover
30.03.2021 13:08:02 NTP: Sync time with time server.
30.03.2021 13:09:03 DHCPv4: WAN0 REBIND Send Discover
30.03.2021 13:10:07 DHCPv4: WAN0 REBIND Send Discover
30.03.2021 13:11:11 DHCPv4: WAN0 REBIND Send Discover

SteveW_52

That would suggest to me that your internet connection (NBN) is not properly configured...  electrically connected but not properly provisioned.. so the modem is seeing the NBN service as faulty and switching to 4G Backup as a result

If it was properly provisioned then Telstra would be able to test right to the modem and check things..

Stevo 52
SignOfTheTimes

Hi cf4,

Everything is green at the back, including "mobile mode". Occasionally the mobile signal goes orange. the net result is a blue light at the front.

cf4

Everything except mobile mode and phone light looks normal so it looks like fault is either due to a Telstra or NBN configuration error.

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - did you try @SteveW_52  suggestion of connecting a PC direct to the white Netcomm NTD FTTC port to see if the service works from there. That may help to assist resolution process.

"If you have a device you can connect by ethernet cable, you could try connecting that device with the cable from the modem WAN port (leave it plugged in to the NTD), then see if you can get an internet connection on the device..  browse to a web page or such like.."

SignOfTheTimes

Hi Mkrtich,

i will try to find a device with ethernet ports - pretty difficult these days. For my education, i should expect that connecting to it directly should get an internet connection.  This will narrow down the issue to the NTD box since, if i get a connection then we know its an Arcadyan issue; and if i don't get a connection then we know its the NTD box - is that right? 

Thanks everyone! I will try this.

Jupiter

If you get a connection via direct ethernet connection to the NTD, then it is a modem issue, yes.

If you don't get a connection via direct ethernet connection to the NTD, then it is an NBN problem (could be the NTD or could be the service itself).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Emily99
Support Team
Support Team

Hey there!

If you were still having trouble with this one, our faults team can take a look at for you! You can chat with them here:  https://tel.st/nqttf

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

SignOfTheTimes

Hi Everyone,

I’ve tried the suggestion to connect a PC direct to the NTD box and while I get lights confirming connection - I can’t seem to get a DHCP address. No DNS server either:

Seems like it’s back to NBN?

cf4
Accepted Solution

It could also be a Telstra programming error.

View solution in original post

SteveW_52

+1

I'd go with this as the cause, the NBN service is obviously there, but the Telstra component is not properly provisioned..

Stevo 52
SignOfTheTimes

Thanks cf4!

I’ve finally managed to get a Telstra technician to come out albeit not til next week.  Any tips how i get them to come to the same conclusion? And just for my education what does “Telstra programming” mean? Is this something done at an account level for this address (configuration done by Telstra on their system)?

cf4

Programming means setting up your connection with the right port on the NBN and setting up your connection up with the correct details such as data allowance etc. I think in this case Telstra has either programmed your connection with the incorrect port on the NBN or NBN has programmed the wrong port on the DPU in the street.

SignOfTheTimes

Just some feedback on this service... an agent will respond to the query but if you follow up another agent will respond who have no historical context. You end up going in circles as new people enter the conversation. Appreciate the suggestion but I would not recommend this messaging service at all.

SignOfTheTimes

Just an update... I had the Telstra tech person come out yesterday who did the usual Level1 troubleshooting. He also had a Telstra/NBN person on the phone that was doing the remote testing from their side - and they did the usual resetting of the NTD box via mac address etc... They also checked the DPU Distribution Point Unit - and two other ports/customers there was working - they re-set that and no change; the other two continued to work but not my port.  Telstra tech also tried connecting via laptop and was not getting an IP address; changed modems and NTD box with no change to the issue.  All in all - proved that there were no physical issues with hardware or connection points. 

I then messaged my case manager and gave them the results - suggested checking the provisioning/programming as suggested here.  At 8:04am this morning it all started working...  I can see in the modem logs it received an IP address and DNS information and the modem mode (LTE) was off.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!! 

cf4

Glad o hear you problem has been fixed. Pity it took so long to diagnose and fix the fault.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit