Level 1: Cadet

Baby monitor

Answered

My baby monitor requires wifi and in until recently things have worked fine. Lately it can't connect or even locate my wifi (but all other devices work fine) and vtech's technicians have advised me to ensure:

1. Channel is set to 10 or under, not at auto

2. Settings should be at 2.4GHz not 5GHz

I have done this and also turned off the PMF as advised in a previous post but I still cannot locate my wifi name on modem.

Can anyone advise what else it may be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Baby monitor

The baby monitor works on the 2.4 GHz WiFi band which could be faulty. All your other WiFi devices might support both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. If 2.4 GHz is faulty the other devices want detect that 2.4 GHz is faulty as both WiFi bands have same name. To check if 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty suggest you turn of band steering in modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi settings. This will add -5G to the name of the 5 GHz WiFi. If 2.4 GHz is working you should now see two WiFi networks on your other devices, one with the normal name and the other with -5G added. If you only see the name with -5G added then modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty and if modem is under two years old lodge a fault with Telstra.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 21: Augmented

You should probably turn off Band Steering (same area where you disable the PMF capability..)

That will give you two seperate networks - both have the same name except 5G has -5G on the end of the network name. So you can identify which network you want to use.

Be aware that sometimes firmware updates to the modem reset the Band Steering and PMF switches and you need to put them back to the way they were before the update..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Accepted Solution

The baby monitor works on the 2.4 GHz WiFi band which could be faulty. All your other WiFi devices might support both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. If 2.4 GHz is faulty the other devices want detect that 2.4 GHz is faulty as both WiFi bands have same name. To check if 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty suggest you turn of band steering in modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi settings. This will add -5G to the name of the 5 GHz WiFi. If 2.4 GHz is working you should now see two WiFi networks on your other devices, one with the normal name and the other with -5G added. If you only see the name with -5G added then modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty and if modem is under two years old lodge a fault with Telstra.

View solution in original post

Thank you for this info, I just tried this with still no luck. 
Only one of the network names showed and it was the one with -5g

Yes, exactly as you said it is only displaying  the network with -5g on the end and therefore seems like my 2.4ghz is faulty. Thanks heaps for that info, I will get onto telstra

Level 21: Augmented

Likely to be a faulty modem them, so report it as suggested by @cf4  and hopefully you will get a new one sent out quickly..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Telstra have confirmed there is a 2.4hgz fault in modem and are replacing.

Thanks for your help 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit