Highlighted
Level 12: Master Detective

Back to Base Alarm System

Answered

Is it a good idea to get our B2B alarm converted over to 4G prior to NBN actually becoming available?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Back to Base Alarm System

Yes. Get a dual SIM dialler so it can use another network if the main supplier goes down. Mine uses a Telstra and Optus SIM. Your security monitoring company will provide the SIMs as part of your contract. Normally costs a couple of dollars a week extra.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Accepted Solution

Yes. Get a dual SIM dialler so it can use another network if the main supplier goes down. Mine uses a Telstra and Optus SIM. Your security monitoring company will provide the SIMs as part of your contract. Normally costs a couple of dollars a week extra.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 12: Master Detective

As an aside to this anyone in the process of getting their back to base alarm sorted so it works on the NBN should shop around.
Our provider (ADT) stated that our entire panel needed to be replaced at $1016 and that our monthly monitoring fee would go to $68.
One of the Motoring Advocacy groups quoted $349 plus a monthly monitoring fee of $35.
A small security company in Perth advised they do the conversion for free plus a monthly monitoring fee of $38.
I contacted our alarm panel manufacturer and they informed me there was absolutely no requirement to change out the panel.
Seems a few companies have decided the NBN is a good opportunity for rorting their customers.
We've gone with the Motoring Advocacy group because they offer a significant discount on Home & Contents Insurance for customers who also have their alarm monitoring through the same organisation.
Helps to shop around!
Highlighted

There are Universal modules which are just a mobile modem that plug in to the phone line connection of the alarm unit.

Most alarm systems are compatible with them. Just make sure you get a dual SIM version.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit