Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Back to base alarms and NBN

Hi, I have just crossed over to the NBN network and have a back to base alarm system which is not compatible unless I upgrade to a newer control panel or get an add on alarm communicator.

The communicator that my alarm provider suggested would be a Multicom 3G Alarm Communicator which has a dual sim and costs $199 plus an extra $40 per Qtr (total new charge $126 per Qtr) for monitoring.

1. As it runs off the 3G/GPRS, GSM networks and my original telephone line (PSTN), I dont know why they put that in there when it will not work when the NBN is connected. As Telsta is disconnecting the 2g network this year, how long will it be before the 3g is disconnected?

2. Anyone else with any other  options other than just dont have the back to base part installed?

Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 11: Detective

Re: Back to base alarms and NBN

I moved onto the NBN a couple of months ago and we too have a back to base alarm. Sadly, the only option we had was to move onto the 3g monitoring. 3g will not be discontinued for some time as the 4g and 4gx networks do not cover some areas where 3g does. So, for the sake of household security, I'd recommend making the jump onto 3g monitoring.

I am a Telstra Retention "saves" employee. My opinions and views I share on this medium are my own and not the opinion of the company
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

2G has been in Aus since 93, so if they keep 3G until it is 23 as well it will be around until like 2028 haha.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thankyoufor the reply.

The hundreds of thousands of alarms that require the upgrade the alarm companies will be making a killing. My alarm people said that I might be able to save if I didnt need the phone line anymore fat chance if you have nbn as there is still a line involved anyhow so they have you by the short and curlies if you want back to base and nbn anyhow.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit