anschmid
Level 3: Gumshoe

Bad cable installation in house - do I really have to live with this now?

I moved into a house now 4 years ago and the cables for Bigond Cable and Foxtel were already installed. I got one of the Home Bundles to have Bigpond and Foxtel connected. Usually everything is fine but every 12 months or so there are issues with the connection and either my cable drops out or my Foxtel loses the free to air channels.

Everytime either Bigpond or Foxtel send around a technician and they change the cable connectors in the street and sometimes the connection points in the house and it works again for another 12 months or so. Takes couple of days to get an appointment which i am out of service.

I have been told by every technician coming to my house that the existing cable connections are just not good. One guy even wrote this on a report "sub-standard installation at side of house"! But if I ask them to please fix the installation they always tell me this is not possible on a "service call". All they are allowed to do is check and fix connections.

So I am not sure where this leaves me know. I am a loyal Telstra customers for 4 years now but I think I am being punished for that be having to live with this confirmed crappy installation of cables in my house. 

Is there anything that can be done so that I get somebody to come out and fix up the cable installation once and for all?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Emissary
Level 10: Junior Detective

Re: Bad cable installation in house - do I really have to live with this now?

Yes you can however this would need to be arrange from a seperate appointment from the "Fault" issue. As with those tech they tend to only focus on getting the issue fixed to a workable service. 

However this would be quite costly as you will be charged (not 100% sure on the pricing) but i believe $85 for the first 15 mins and then $30 for every 15 mins thereafter to resolve the issue. 

Now you could claim that the issue was due to a tech fault in the original installation however as you moved in after the installation you have no idea if it was Bigpond or Foxtel (Who use the Telstra HFC Network) who completed the work. 

Your best bet would be a private electrician who will do the same work much cheaper. 

Will update with something clever when the brain starts working!
anschmid

Interesting that there is no standard and no way or requirement for Telstra to fix up a bad installation.

Regarding the private electrician isn't that an issue as they are NOT allowed to touch the Telstra wires/box?

DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I have been told by every technician coming to my house that the existing cable connections are just not good. One guy even wrote this on a report "sub-standard installation at side of house"! But if I ask them to please fix the installation they always tell me this is not possible on a "service call". All they are allowed to do is check and fix connections.

Hey anschmid,

I can appreciate your frustrations with the Cable connection issues that are experienced every 12 months due to the wiring of this service to your home. This is not what we like to hear of and would be more than happy to have a further look into this issue for you and see if we are able to get a tech appointment completed to have new cable laid to resolve this issue from happening in the future.

We will have to check the notes that have been made on the account to confrim if this was installed by us and if the above details have been documented on the account. I have sent a private message to get your details so that we can begin the investigation and resolve this issue for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Emissary
Level 10: Junior Detective

@anschmid wrote:

Interesting that there is no standard and no way or requirement for Telstra to fix up a bad installation.

Regarding the private electrician isn't that an issue as they are NOT allowed to touch the Telstra wires/box?

There is a requirement to ensure that the installation is up to scratch and that is a working and correctly installed service. However the issue i believe would be who did the work. 

Was it Telstra or Foxtel ? 

You are not allowed to touch Telstra Wire/Boxes in a public space, However your house, your rules. You can touch/play/break all you want with the stuff on your house, however in saying that, should something go wrong then it would all be on your head...

Will update with something clever when the brain starts working!
anschmid

@DingoDan wrote:

We will have to check the notes that have been made on the account to confrim if this was installed by us and if the above details have been documented on the account. I have sent a private message to get your details so that we can begin the investigation and resolve this issue for you.

Hey thanks for that and I saw the link and will fill out the form soon.

One question I have though I am not quiet clear on "if this was installed by us"? This is a Telstra box on the side of my house so I'd assume that somebody from Telstra has installed it.

The Optus box is on the other side of the house and is disconnected.

I don't think the previous owner installed this Telstra box by themselves. Could they?

anschmid

@Emissary wrote:

@anschmid wrote:

There is a requirement to ensure that the installation is up to scratch and that is a working and correctly installed service. However the issue i believe would be who did the work. 

Was it Telstra or Foxtel ? 

Actually I don't know. The box doesn't say Foxtel or Telstra on it, it just says Telstra.

Isn't that the same thing anyway? I don't understand because I have a contract with Telstra, Telstra taking my money, Telstra owns Foxtel so how is it any different? 

anschmid

Update: Kudos to DingoDan who helped to get a Foxtel technician out to have it all sorted. It needed two visits as on first visit he didn't have an amplifier with him and without it didn't work proberly but he managed to fixed it up.

Here is what I learned during this exercise for the rest of the community:

Let's start with the cable connection out on the street in the pit. The signal strength out there in the street is suppossed to be a minimum of 33 (I am not sure what exactly but might be dbmV?). My case was 32.4 which is low but could still be okay.

On the other end in your house at the outlet you should have a minimum of 28 for it work without problems. Anything between 26-28 is usually still okay but might cause some issues. If it falls below 26 it won't work proberly.

Now in between that two points you have to cable coming in from the street into the grey Telstra box to the side od the house which is terminated with an "isolater". That takes a bit of the signal strength, in my case the strength was 31.7 after the isolator.

Now it becomes interesting because it depends on how many outlets you have if this work or not. They install a splitter that essentially splits the signal to each of the outlets. A two way splitter drops the signal by 3.5. A three way splitter drops the signal by 5 on each outlet. If you have more than 3 they install an amplifier as otherwise the signal is to week at the outlet.

So in my case I have three points (2 x Foxtel and 1 x Bigpond) means there was a three way splitter. From the 31.7 after the isolator that dropped the outlet signal strengt to 26.7 which is just marginal to make it work. If anything got lose just a bit it would start to go wrong. Hence up to now everytime they came in to fix it they tighten up and replaced the connection to get it back up above that 26 at the outlet.

Now the solution here was to install an amplifier instead of the splitter which amplify the signal and pass the same signal strength of 31.7 to all outlets in the house. It's usually not done for 3 outlets but the technician said he had now many cases where it became necessary. It's not done lightly because an amplifier costs quiet a bit more than a splitter.

Anyway that's the story. It all depends on signal strenght in the street and how many outlets you have. I had only two before and never had a problem but now i can see since I had the third outlet installed I started to have these issues and at least I now know why. Hope this helps somebody.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit