kmod
Level 2: Rookie

Bad service

Why am I paying $75 per month and still unable to upload a 3mb file? How can it feel like I live in a 3rd world country while living in the middle of Melbourne? And, Telstra also doesn't provide any online support and asks me to download its crappy app? How can it be this bad?

Also, I can upload the same 3mb file via my mobile in seconds. What is wrong with this company?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Bad service

Hi @kmod 

The My Telstra app is currently the best way to handle issues by leaving a message in the "Get Help" icon at the bottom. Your message then goes into a queue and will be answered as soon as they can.

Unfortunately, the COVID-19 has had a huge impact on their support team overseas.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
343GuiltySpark
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Your fixed line internet connection and mobile connection will have different speeds as they are different services.

What type of fixed line (ADSL, NBN, Cable) Internet connection do you have and if you run a speed test was results do you get?

I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras
kmod

It's ADSL and the upload speed is 0.17 Mbps. You would think it might be slightly faster than mobile data.

kmod

This makes no sense me. Why can't I send a message from my web browser? What if I don't have a mobile phone? Telstra is supposed to be a tech company. How about just an email address?

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Could post your link status. This could give a good indication of what is causing the slow upload speed. In the Telstra modems the link status is located here.

TG587 Telstra T-Gateway (TG797). Telstra Gateway Max TG799 and Telstra Gateway Max II (TG800)
http://10.0.0.138 > advance > broadband > DSL stats

Telstra Gateway Frontier (DJN2130), Telstra Smart Modem (DJA0230) Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 (DJA0231)
http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband > DSL stats Log in ID Gen 2 is admin/Telstra

Telstra Gateway (Sagemcom F@st 5355)
http://10.0.0.138 > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Dev Info > General > xDSL (Near bottom of page) Password is admin

An example of link status are shown in images below.

DSL Link 37 Mbps
kmod

Thanks cf4! The model is TG979. Here are the numbers:

DSL Status Up
DSL Uptime 133days 18hours 21min 21sec
DSL Type ADSL_G.dmt
DSL Mode Interleaved
Maximum Line rate (up)1.09 Mbps (down) 11.49 Mbps
Line Rate (up) 0.38 Mbps (down) 7.61 Mbps
Data Transferred (up) 3053.32 MBytes (down) 352.2 MBytes
Output Power (up) 9.5 dBm (down) 19.8 dBm
Line Attenuation (up) 12 dB (down) 15 dB
Noise Margin (up) 24 dB (down) 18 dB
Jupiter

It looks like your service has had a stabliity profile applied (interleaving). This is automatically applied by the connection if it detects that it has become unstable over a period of time.

You will need to send a message via the My Tesltra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen) with your full name and requesting that interleaving be removed from your ADSL profile. That should get you back up to close to the Maximum Line Rate, at least temporarily.  If the network detects that your connection is becoming unstable at those speeds, it will reapply interleaving.

And no, it has been more than a decade since ADSL speeds were faster than mobile connections.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4

The low upload speed is due to the high noise margin applied to your line. The optimum Noise Margin for maximum speed is 6 db and under normal conditions the modem and the ADSL port will adjust the speed for a noise margin of 6 db. If there is an intermittent fault that causes drop outs a stability profile is applied which raises the noise margin. The speed is reduced which increases the noise margin, which should stop drop outs or at least reduce the number of drops.

It looks like your link has been up for 133 days without a drop out so it appears to be stable. I would contact Telstra support and request that the remove the stability profile.

kmod

Thanks all for your kind help. After many days of back-and-forth with Telstra, they finally told me today that they are not going to anything to help me. They refused to deal with line noise issue, and I've decided to just find another provider. Folks on crowdsupport are far more professional and helpful than Telstra. So thanks again!

Ozmoz

@kmod wrote:

Thanks all for your kind help. After many days of back-and-forth with Telstra, they finally told me today that they are not going to anything to help me. They refused to deal with line noise issue, and I've decided to just find another provider. Folks on crowdsupport are far more professional and helpful than Telstra. So thanks again!

Hi @kmod 

I'm so sorry you have been treated that way. There are individuals in the organisation that shouldn't be working there, they let the brand name down.

I'd be moving on myself if I was in your position.

Being ADSL it is going to be a little bit harder for you. Telstra has put a halt on moving the home line (PSTN) to another provider. So not sure how that will affect you moving on at this time.

It might be worth filling out a complaint form and include any support numbers you might have. It used to take about 5 business days for a complaint manager to be assigned, not sure the time frame with COVID-19 atm.

https://tel.st/4amxg 

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit