Miniano
Level 2: Rookie

Bad service

Why does it take 7 days and 3hours each messaging conversation with a tech to still have no service ??? I need to escalate how can I?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Bad service

A bit of advice with dealing with tech support. Go to https://fix.telstra.com (can be done through your mobile) and run through the troubleshooting and remote tests before contacting Telstra (that site will put you through to a consultant if it can't get you up and running anyway), as the consultant will have access to the results of the tests and speed things up.

You can lodge a complaint via http://telstra.com/complaints but it will take around 5 business days to get an initial response.

In the meantime, we might be able to offer some assistance in at least identifying what might be going wrong:

What type of connection do you have (ADSL, Cable, FTTN, FTTB, FTTC, FTTP, HFC, FW)?

Which model modem?

What colour are the lights on the modem, is the light on the front blue?

Have you tried plugging a device into the modem by ethernet cable rather than just using wifi?

If you log into the modem and go to the Broadband tab, what is it saying about the connection? Does it say Disconnected, or is it showing a connection type with indicated speeds?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Miniano

Telstra fast 5355 lights vary...when not working online light is white, just very intermittent over the last 7 days and telstra support has not helped 

Complaint lodged with telstra and ombudsman  

Jupiter

Yes, so your connection is dropping out. There are a couple of things that usually cause that. If you are on FTTN, it usually means that a technician has been doing some work at the node and knocked the wires, causing them to partially disconnect. That can be fixed by the technician reterminating them (a 5 minute fix). It could also be general maintenance works occurring, although 7 days would be an excessive timeframe.

Getting an NBN Co technician to come out to fix the problem can be difficult. You can demand that one be sent out (you will be told that is there is no problem found, or if the problem is with your equipment, then you will be charged for the visit - keep copies of the modem logs and some videos of the modem when it drops out for evidence of the problem), but NBN Co will run a remote check and if they don't see a problem, will cancel the appointment and you may need to rebook a number of times before they turn up.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Miniano

I had adsl

I have been advised we can't get nbn...that's another issue

@Jupiter wrote:

Yes, so your connection is dropping out. There are a couple of things that usually cause that. If you are on FTTN, it usually means that a technician has been doing some work at the node and knocked the wires, causing them to partially disconnect. That can be fixed by the technician reterminating them (a 5 minute fix). It could also be general maintenance works occurring, although 7 days would be an excessive timeframe.

Getting an NBN Co technician to come out to fix the problem can be difficult. You can demand that one be sent out (you will be told that is there is no problem found, or if the problem is with your equipment, then you will be charged for the visit - keep copies of the modem logs and some videos of the modem when it drops out for evidence of the problem), but NBN Co will run a remote check and if they don't see a problem, will cancel the appointment and you may need to rebook a number of times before they turn up.

Miniano

Meant to say have adsl 

Miniano

Forgot to mention 3 other houses in my street have had same issues over 6 months 

Jupiter

Well, that should make it a bit easier to get a technician there as it will be a Telstra one assuming that NBN Co hasn't started rolling out in your area. They don't do the remote checks after the booking is in place.

Miniano

What's my best option?

Jupiter

The only option is to ask Telstra to send a technician to investigate the dropouts in your service.

If the consultant refuses to book one, you can lodge a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints

Miniano

Appreciate it...I did ask last night however ignore me ill ask again

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit