meerkat2u
Level 2: Rookie

Below the minimum speed Telstra guarantees ADSL 2+ to connect at?

After a consistent couple of years of download speeds between 8-9 Mbps my download speed started to become erratic earlier this year, dropping down to below 1 Mbps for hours at a time.  It fits the pattern of congestion, evenings and weekends the worst.  I used Bigpond Support a couple of months ago to get a case assigned to me, a slow, painful process to move past the Level 1 support, when as an IT sysadmin I had gone through all the basis fault finding before calling. There was some action and I believe a software upgrade was performed at the Exchange.

I saw some download consistency for a month after the date I was advised the fix occured but I now see the same problem again perhaps worse, with speeds hovering between 0.8 and 1 Mbps every night.  I've got another case number assigned a few days ago but no callback yet...  I will add I get good speeds in the morning, back up to 8 Mbps but that's not where I need it. 

It's literally hell in my house, 2 adults, 2 teenagers, lots of devices, all requiring the Internet in the evening for work, study or entertainment, great Telstra Plan but I can't even get the Telstra home page to render on a Wednesday night...

Look for all sorts of ideas guys?

I'm near the boundary of the Mordialloc Exchange, ADSL2+ connection, new filters, router and modem (crowd favourite brands). Bigpond Elite 200Gb as part of a 24 month bundled contract (renewed when the going was good of course).

I took my number from another suburb when I originally moved in, someone has suggested getting a new line could help?  Something about running additional cabling at the Exchange? I have no ties to my current number, it's only for marketers anyway these days.

Viable to request my contract be terminated early with out penalty due to the below minimum offered speed? Is the 1,56 Mps lower limit a guarantee really? Will another ADSL provider (own DSLAMs) make a difference or is my distance and copper lines a big factor?

Perhaps of setup or equipment ideas? not Wireless Broadband as I've too many users.

Or wait for the NBN......... not a visible option.

I appreciate your help.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Extreame
Level 20: Director

Re: Below the minimum speed Telstra guarantees ADSL 2+ to connect at?

In reply: @meerkat2u

Are you able to get cable?

Looking forward to your reply 

meerkat2u

Nice thought! but no not available at my residence.

There are power poles on the otherside of the road which gave me wild ideas but I haven't see any connections to it at all on the street so I assume old Optus setup.

Extreame

Cable does not necessarily run on power poles, we have HFC running under the street here. It could be the same at your place (hopefully).

If you throw in your details into the availability checker, what is the outcome?

meerkat2u

I didn't know HFC is provided underground as well as overhead? Good to hear.

But it my case a big red X for cable at my place...

Extreame

Thats a shame, sorry I dont have any other suggestions for you.

meerkat2u

No worries, thanks for the ideas.

It's midnight now...  the neighbourhood kids, youtubers and downloaders are done and my download speed is up to 3.8 mbps.  Yeah!

My VPN connection to work isn't dropping out every few minutes and my Remote Desktop keystrokes are back to realtime ...but alas work will have to be postponed as I need my sleep too.

arkon
Level 3: Gumshoe

fluctuating speed can be a  few causes

your equipment/setup commonly on wifi networks or your simply using all your bandwith (i am assuming your speed test are with 1 ethernet connected machine ALL other devices off)

possible line fault 

congested dslam

if its the later churning isp's may help although i often find its more a congested exchange these days and the next isp is probably in the same boat , simply too many people in the area off one exchange 

ring tech support find out if your dslam is congested do a line test go from there  

meerkat2u

Thanks for the pointers Arkon. Yep I've done the testing with a direct Ethernet connection to the modem with no other devices connected. For other times I've got good real time traffic reporting on my router (bridged to modem) so I know when to kick off in-house bandwidth hogs haha.

I'll chase up Tech Support and see if they can't narrow down the issue, line fault or congestion. Given the timing of the poor performance, nighttime and weekends and good after midnight, groan it sounds very much like exchange congestion even without the diagnostics.

Exchange upgrades, is that something that is published I wonder? Are they the domain of Telstra Wholesale?
nqjess2
Level 1: Cadet

How did you get on? I have a somewhat similar problem. I'd like to know if your issue has been resolved by Telstra.
meerkat2u

Hi nqjess2,
In my case I was advised that the issue was congestion at my exchange, Mordialloc and there was nothing that could be done to improve the performance of my connection so I switched to a different provider (non Telstra DSLAMs). My suggestion for you is to talk to technical support first before doing similar in case it is a line fault which can be fixed.
Good luck Smiley Happy
Angelgirl2202
Level 1: Cadet

Hi, we are having exactly the same problem and are in a Mentone which I am guessing is closest to the Mordiallic exchange as well. So frustrating with teenagers, iPads iPhones and me at uni. My question is, which provider did you change to and has it helped your Internet speed?
meerkat2u

Hi Angelgirl2202,

Being Mentone you may be on the Cheltenham Exchange but that's not to say congestion is limited to the Mordialloc Exchange Smiley Sad.

I'm with iPrimus now, peak performance is half what I got with Telstra 6-7 Mbs vs 12 Mbs BUT it's consistent whether it is morning, evening, weekend or school holidays! Joy! I can connect to the Internet along with everyone else in the house at 8pm :-). A lot more convenient that 5am as was suggested to me as the solution.

Good luck to you too!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit