Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Best VPN for NBN Gateway Frontier on FTTN

Answered

Hi all, would appreciate any info on any VPN providers that are compatible with the Frontier. I found a few sites with Lifetime access (500 months) for ridiculously low prices from $9.99 being a 95% discount( US ? ) I am in NSW and some VPN's have servers in Sydney. Anyone with some experience with this would be appreciated. I am also happy to post the link if you are interested. Cheers.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Best VPN for NBN Gateway Frontier on FTTN

Basically any vpn should work with any of the Telatra modems. If the vpn requires ports to be opened you may have to do some do some port forwarding. For example I have a vpn app on my phone and home computer, I've never had an issue. As a side note, running a vpn service isnt cheap and if you want quality you'll need to pay for it. The offer you have seems a bit to good to be real.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 19: Deputy Director
Accepted Solution

Torguard is a popular one, and I am happy with it. I guess it depends on what level of security you think you need. Torguard is dead easy to setup. They do not use the common port for VPN though but tunnel everything via 443. So you may not need to port forward, just specify 443 not 1194 in setting up your client software.
There are some pretty mean dudes where I live - lots of blocks of units - 7 in hacking distance. So they hack me if I ever have to setup a router. So I configure the Telstra one, then my one and finally write a known clean install on my desktop. I also don't use wifi to configure routers but ethernet all the way. I don't use wifi anymore anyway at home! They try to dismantle the VPN and firewalls. But if I do things that way it seems to stop them. Note they can sniff the communication that happens between the first internet connection and before the VPN kicks in.

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

@Fringedweller wrote:

Thanks

I appreciate the reply and your advise. I will give you the link so you , or anyone interested, can check it out .

I've tried a number of VPN's over the years. Currently I am with NordVPN via a deal.

Out of all I've tried I've always liked IPVanish, I really liked the GUI.

As @343GuiltySpark has said, any VPN should work with the Telstra Modems.

One thing I do look for in a VPN as well is an app kill switch, so if the VPN drops the program I am using for secure VPN drops also.

Good time to buy a VPN account for deals is during Black Friday, Cyber Mondays, and a couple of American holidays.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Basically any vpn should work with any of the Telatra modems. If the vpn requires ports to be opened you may have to do some do some port forwarding. For example I have a vpn app on my phone and home computer, I've never had an issue. As a side note, running a vpn service isnt cheap and if you want quality you'll need to pay for it. The offer you have seems a bit to good to be real.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

Highlighted

Thanks

I appreciate the reply and your advise. I will give you the link so you , or anyone interested, can check it out .

https://deals.thehackernews.com/sales/ra4w-vpn-lifetime-subscription

There is other deals relating to VP N's  here as well.

Highlighted
Level 19: Deputy Director
Accepted Solution

Torguard is a popular one, and I am happy with it. I guess it depends on what level of security you think you need. Torguard is dead easy to setup. They do not use the common port for VPN though but tunnel everything via 443. So you may not need to port forward, just specify 443 not 1194 in setting up your client software.
There are some pretty mean dudes where I live - lots of blocks of units - 7 in hacking distance. So they hack me if I ever have to setup a router. So I configure the Telstra one, then my one and finally write a known clean install on my desktop. I also don't use wifi to configure routers but ethernet all the way. I don't use wifi anymore anyway at home! They try to dismantle the VPN and firewalls. But if I do things that way it seems to stop them. Note they can sniff the communication that happens between the first internet connection and before the VPN kicks in.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

@Fringedweller wrote:

Thanks

I've tried a number of VPN's over the years. Currently I am with NordVPN via a deal.

Out of all I've tried I've always liked IPVanish, I really liked the GUI.

As @343GuiltySpark has said, any VPN should work with the Telstra Modems.

One thing I do look for in a VPN as well is an app kill switch, so if the VPN drops the program I am using for secure VPN drops also.

Good time to buy a VPN account for deals is during Black Friday, Cyber Mondays, and a couple of American holidays.

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

I got NordVPN again on a 3y deal, I love their huge options of servers and control options.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Thanks you mazinoz .
Highlighted

Thanks Dr Q , I hope you got that for $99 for the 3 years. 76 % off. If so I would be interested why you did not go with RA4W VP N @ $ 9.99 for 500 months seems like a great deal. I am new to this and you would know a lot more than me so the question is only to help me not make a bad decision . As 343 Guilty Spark said " The offer you have seems a bit to good to be real."
Highlighted

$80 for 3y. Was a good deal.
At the lower price it means they can only really offer so many servers before it is unviable, if their one Sydney server has an issue then you either don’t use it or have to go via Singapore or Japan for the next closest options. Given the price point it seems like it would either have to come with a later “pay extra for extra servers” sort of thing... you’d need a huge number of people paying the $19.99 and not a lot of them using to to be able to maintain the servers ongoing... it is quite expensive task and just seemed to be one of those ‘if it seems to good, it likely is’ things to a degree, also being in Adelaide, Nord has a number of servers right here which run exceptionally well.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

@Fringedweller wrote:
@Thanks Dr Q , I hope you got that for $99 for the 3 years. 76 % off. If so I would be interested why you did not go with RA4W VP N @ $ 9.99 for 500 months seems like a great deal. I am new to this and you would know a lot more than me so the question is only to help me not make a bad decision . As 343 Guilty Spark said " The offer you have seems a bit to good to be real."

Only 10 bux what have you got to lose lol.

Cheaper ones tend to be overcrowded, slow, and continually drop connections. Not saying this mob is like that, I've never heard of them before.

Some people don't like VPN's keeping logs, and some say they don't keep any. But the better ones would limit on what they keep. A network has to keep track of server loads etc, so something has to be kept. I would never believe any of them that say they don't keep logs of some type. But don't do anything majorly wrong and you should/maybe be fine?

Highlighted

Thanks Dr Q ,nice of you to take the time to reply . I will take this all on board. Cheers.

Highlighted

Thank You Ozmoz Your advise is much appreciated.
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Just a word of caution - if I understand it correctly, TORGuard is using TOR network as an underlying protocol... TOR as such has now been proven to be hackable by several academics and I believe proof of concept has been published... I personally know one of the authors...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I have tried a few VPNs in the past. Currently with PureVPN.

Love their apps. They do have killswitch feature. About 750+ servers in 140+ countries including in Sydney, Australia.

Highlighted

@amyadams11122 wrote:

I have tried a few VPNs in the past. Currently with PureVPN.

Love their apps. They do have killswitch feature. About 750+ servers in 140+ countries including in Sydney, Australia.

I could be wrong, but i think PureVPN is the brother to IPVanish.

Similar in ways that Belong Mobile is the little brother to Telstra.

But I agree with you @amyadams11122 I've tried them also and found them pretty good.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit