Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

boadband change to wifi

For over five years I have been using BROADBAND ADSL2 ethernet on my modem for my PC but now I am getting a laptop as well, so how do I change the modem to wifi? I did not choose wifi initially as my Telstra reception on my ADLI prepaid mobile is only one bar. Is the telstra reception on my mobile phone relevant to the reception I will get on my PC and laptop if I change it to wifi? My broadband is good with no trouble. Should I just use the new laptop on broadband at home?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: boadband change to wifi

What is the model number of your Telstra Modem? We'll be able to tell if it already has wifi. As the WiFi comes from the modem and not the mobile network the mobile reception at your house won't have an impact on the WiFi. 

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you for answering my main concern. The modem definitely comes with wifi. It is a Telstra T-Gateway and I have the card with the Telstra network and and security key on it and now would like to change from broadband to Wifi.

Highlighted

Your modem broadcasts wifi as a wireless signal your laptop can connect to. 

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit