Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Bridge Telstra Gateway F@st 5355 to NetGear Nighthawk X8 AC5300

Answered

I'm new to NBN (today) and currently have my home WiFi via a modem and a NetGear NightHawk X8 (AC5300) that I'm very happy with (range and connectivity). I don't want to have to connect all my devices to a new network (as proposed with installation of the new Telstra Gateway (F@st 5355).

I understand it is possible to use the gateway in bridge mode (effectively replacing the existing modem with the gateway.

I wonder if somone can provide step by step instruction on how to set it up (the gateway is not yet out of the box)

Thanks,

Geo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Bridge Telstra Gateway F@st 5355 to NetGear Nighthawk X8 AC5300

OK...I've cracked it!

The Nighthawk advanced settings has an option to set the router as a wireless Access point.

So simply have to connect the ethrenet cable from the LAN Port on the Telstra Gateway to the Internett port on the router, set the router as a Wireless Access Point and it all works.

Now can choose to use either the Gateway Wifi or the Router wifi and don't have to move/reconfigure any of the devices previously working of the router.

Yay!!!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 14: Field Agent

You can easily set F@st 5335 into Bridged mode under Gateway Settings (as per screen shot below), but please be aware that you will have no accesss to telephone/landline in bridged mode.

If you require access to landline it is a much more complicated setup. I have successfully done it with non-Netgear router and it is not something that can be  explained in a few sentences for step by step instructions.

Sagem bridge mode1.jpg

Highlighted

Thanks for that, W201.

I will need to retain use of the landline, though. Any clues on what I'd need to do to achieve it?

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

OK...I've cracked it!

The Nighthawk advanced settings has an option to set the router as a wireless Access point.

So simply have to connect the ethrenet cable from the LAN Port on the Telstra Gateway to the Internett port on the router, set the router as a Wireless Access Point and it all works.

Now can choose to use either the Gateway Wifi or the Router wifi and don't have to move/reconfigure any of the devices previously working of the router.

Yay!!!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

HI W201

I would like to know how you configure the Gateway in bridged mode and retaining the VOIP landline access.

I could configure my Asus 68U as an Access Point but I lose the parental control settings so I really want to use the Gateway in bridged mode but need the landline to be working too.

Highlighted
Level 14: Field Agent

Please do not set the Telstra gateway to Bridged mode if you need VOIP.

As you have already set your router to Access Point mode, you can simply connect the LAN port of Telstra Gateway (in router mode) to the WAN port of your Asus.

Although you can dumb a router down to the point that it’s just an Access Point, IMHO it’s a waste to do so with a good router like ASUS 68U or NETGEAR Nighthawk. 

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Im a little confused here. I have a knighthawk d7000 which obviously has no accesspoint for a landline phone input. As suggested above is it as simple as doing LAN  from the F@st 5355 to Internet Input (red ethernet) and setting to wireless access mode in the knighthawk and i can still have all my ethernet attachments in the knighthawk EG: main computer and media center etc..., and the landline will still work from the Telstra GREEN port on the F@st 5355 ?

So basically the internet and phone is provided by F@st 5355 and router and wireless is supplied by Knighthawk, and yes its a waste of a good knighthawk modem but at least youyr taking advantage off AC1900 etc....

Am i making sense here ? hahaha because i NEED the landline and if this is the only way ill take it ......unless i can go the other way around EG: Knighthawk as primary to F@st 5355 but somehow getting land line to work ?

Any help or answers appreciated...Cheers W201

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

do you mean you can still have ethernet devices plugged into the knighthawk as well ? and they work EG: main PC and media center etc... ??? #GeoG13

thanks for your help

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Apologies for necro-posting at such a high level, but would you mind detailing the process mentioned here as much as possible: "If you require access to landline it is a much more complicated setup. I have successfully done it with non-Netgear router and it is not something that can be  explained in a few sentences for step by step instructions."

Thank you in advance!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit