KonG
Level 2: Rookie

Broadband Cable End of Service Date

Answered

I keep getting calls and SMS's from Telstra to the effect of "NBN is live in your area, to keep your phone and internet working switch to NBN now" - something like that.

Is Telstra decommissioning the Broadband Cable network? I am happy with it and do not see the need to switch to NBN.

Is this just an NBN sales tactic?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Broadband Cable End of Service Date

18 months after NBN first becomes available in your area the Telstra cable network will be switched off. This is not a NBN sales tactic tactic. Once NBN becomes available in a area ISPs by law must connect all new customers to NBN and turn off there existing fixed line services 18 months after NBN first becomes available in area.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Accepted Solution

18 months after NBN first becomes available in your area the Telstra cable network will be switched off. This is not a NBN sales tactic tactic. Once NBN becomes available in a area ISPs by law must connect all new customers to NBN and turn off there existing fixed line services 18 months after NBN first becomes available in area.

View solution in original post

Zosia
Level 1: Cadet

When was NBN installed in Anderson Ave Dundas NSW

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Disconnection of non-NBN services is due to occur there in November 2021.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
NiftyMac
Level 1: Cadet

I totally agree, loved my Telstra Cable, but I kept getting disconnection messages and then was told I must move by Feb 2021 or when cable will be removed in my area!

So.. I decided on the 17th Dec 2020 to sign up for Telstra NBN $90 pm plan, advised connection would be the 12th January 2021, connection did not happen due to a Telstra system issue not sending my order to NBN co. 

Then three days later telstra disconnected my perfectly working cable connection leaving with me with NOTHING!

I have been wrestling with Telstra support since the 15th Jan to get my NBN connection done (revised date is now the 30th March 2021), two and half months after Telstra cut off my Cable connection!  No improvement offered as NBN co have run out of NBN HFC adapters ! Unbelievable !

AND I CANNOT get back Cable switched on again, total brick wall here!

SO my advice is DO NOT sign up for a switch to NBN , just ignore their switch demands and hope that your cable stays connected. And when  forced to move DO NOT GO WITH TELSTRA.

I would hate anyone to go through what I have been through here.

And there is just ZERO support from Telstra! I have never seen Telstra support so bad ! Lots of very customer friendly words on chat or over phone (if you can get through to anyone, BUT no real customer support that can make a difference in my case.

Not even emails to Andy Penn, local media etc makes a difference !

Jupiter

The disconnection date is set by NBN Co, so Telstra has no control over that. The switchoff also doesn't occur until NBN Co sends Telstra a message that the migration has occurred.

You can lodge a complaint with Telstra (https://telstra.com/complaints) or the TIO (https://tio.com.au).

NBN Co shouldn't be marking the orders as complete if they haven't installed the NTD.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit