Andi14
Level 2: Rookie

broadband connections

Answered

we have recently moved from an ADSL@ connection to Cable connection.We  were told to purchase a cable adaptor CM450-1TLAUS.Then told it was not compatible with current modem and told to buy a C6300BD-1TLAUS modem.After a week of phone calls I was told that that modem was not compatible.What to do?Frustration is at overflow levels !!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: broadband connections

The C6300BD does not plug into the cable adapter it plugs directly into the coax. I would not use the C6300BD as this is outdated and has inferior WiFi. I would use the cable adaptor connected to the TG799vac. The TG799vac should work with the cable adapter.

Coax Cable Socket==========CM450-1TLAUS========WAN Port TG799vac

If using C6300BD

Coax Cable Socket=============C6300BD

When using CM450-1TLAUS and TG799vac what was the status of the lights on the CM450-1TLAUS and TG799vac?

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
cf4

You should be able to use the CM450-1TLAUS with any router or buy the Telstra Smart Modem. The normal configuration for new cable customers is the CM450-1TLAUS combined with Telstra Smart Modem but should be able to use any modem. The main problem when activating is to make sure the CM450-1TLAUS serial number is registered in Telstra's database..

Does your current modem have a WAN port or LAN port that can be configured as a WAN port you would be able to use your current problem.
Andi14

They tell me the Cable Adaptor is registered but the modem THEY sent is not compatible ???

cf4

What modem did they send?

Andi14

Gateway Max C6300BD-1TLAUS
cf4

The Gateway Max C6300BD-1TLAUS is a cable adapter and modem combined. If it is registered you should be able to connect it directly to the cable and not use the CM450-1TLAUS. I don't understand why they sent you the Gateway Max C6300BD-1TLAUS it is no longer used for new connection.

Are they sending you the correct gateway to use with the CM450-1TLAUS (Telstra Smart Modem)?

Andi14

They sent me the C6300BD to "plug" into the cable adaptor. My original modem ( when connected to ADSL2 ) was a TechnicolorTG799vac. I am very confused as I am not all that computer-jargon savvy ( although I do know how to attach wires to "like " sockets )Each technical "expert" i speak with tells me something different.
cf4
Accepted Solution

The C6300BD does not plug into the cable adapter it plugs directly into the coax. I would not use the C6300BD as this is outdated and has inferior WiFi. I would use the cable adaptor connected to the TG799vac. The TG799vac should work with the cable adapter.

Coax Cable Socket==========CM450-1TLAUS========WAN Port TG799vac

If using C6300BD

Coax Cable Socket=============C6300BD

When using CM450-1TLAUS and TG799vac what was the status of the lights on the CM450-1TLAUS and TG799vac?

View solution in original post

Andi14

Thanks for all your help so far. No, I didn't even try connecting to the old modem. I'll give that a go and let you know how we go

Andi14

Thank so much cf4,you're a genius.It worked, plugged the cable adaptor into the old modem, bingo !!! I wonder why the "technical experts" didn't suggest that ?? Thanks again

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit