Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Broadband Speeds (ADSL, Cable, NBN and Velocity)

I've recently switched to NBN and now have a significantly slower data speed than I had with ADSL.  I spoke with a Telstra representative today who advised that nothing could be done as it was all that NBN could offer and not Telstra's problem.  What recourse do I have to obtain the same service I had on ADSL as I'm still paying the same monthly fee and would expect to receive the same service.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Broadband Speeds (ADSL, Cable, NBN and Velocity)

If it is FTTN NBN can you go into your modem and post your line stats?

If it is one of the Telstra Gateways it is typically http://10.0.0.138/ > advance > broadband and it should have a range of line details such as max speed, attenuation, those sorts of things.

That can give an idea of the situation at hand. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Thanks for the suggestion. These are the details:

Maximum Line rate
up 13.22 Mbps down 43.08 Mbps

Line Rate
up 6.4 Mbps down 28 Mbps

Data Transferred
up 258.29 MBytes down 382.04 MBytes

Output Power
up 2.5 dBm down 13.1 dBm

Line Attenuation
up 7.4, 39.2, 65.2 dB down 19.4, 45.4, 69.5 dB

Noise Margin
up 17.9 dB down 15.2 dB
Highlighted

Your line rate is showing 28Mbps so that means you should be getting around the 18-23Mbps sort mark, at least during offpeak. What sort of speeds are you actually achieving if you do a Speedtest?
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

I'm getting 8.65mbps using speedtest.net.  Is this what I should be expecting to get?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Almills01

I'm providing you with some information regarding NBN Speeds,  http://tel.st/nt22 and also some Troubleshooting Tips you can try, to increase the speed of your service. How To Troubleshoot Speed Issues 

If there is no improvement in the speed of your service, please speak with our 24x7 NBN Support Team on 1800834273 - IVR > 4 so they can investigate this further for you. 

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit