Level 2: Rookie

Broadband to NBN cancellation fees

Hi, I have tried to find an answer to this query but no luck as yet! 

I am having issues with the service my existing internet provider is giving and I need to change.

My area is not currently NBN ready so I will need to get broadband. When the area has NBN I will be forced to change from the Broadband to NBN. As this is out with my control and I have no other option other than to comply, will I need to pay for any early cancellation fees?

Thanks. Dave.

David

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Broadband to NBN cancellation fees

Hi @Dave1975

Is your currently broadband provider Telstra?

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Hi Jimmy, I am trying to find a suitable provider for my mother-in-law and as I am currently using Telstra in my home I thought I would use this forum to find out an answer. Are you able to answer my original question? Thanks. Dave.

David
Support Team
Support Team

So you are asking whether your mother in law will need to pay early termination charges if she moves over to the NBN? Is she currently with Telstra?

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Hi Jimmy, No she is not currently with Telstra. Yes I am asking if she decided to sign up to an ADSL broadband contract would she have to pay the cancellation fee. Thanks. David.

David
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks @Dave1975

Telstra do not cover the cancellation fees from different providers so she would be liable to pay those fees as normal.

- Jimmy

No Jimmy, if she signs up to a Telstra contract today and then in 6 months time NBN is then available will Telstra then enforce the cancellation fee even though she has no option other than to change to NBN?

Thanks.

Dave.

David
Support Team
Support Team

No, if she signs a new Telstra ADSL or Cable contract she will not need to pay termination charges when the NBN comes through if she stays with Telstra for NBN.

- Jimmy

Hi Jimmy, thanks for this clarification and what you have said makes perfect sense. Thanks again for your help and time. Could I suggest that Telstra make this information easier to find out, as I am sure I am not the only one to wonder about it and it could mean that you lose out on new customers? Thanks. Dave.

David
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Alldred,

Thanks for the great suggestion, I have passed this to our marketing team Smiley Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit