Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Bug: No IPv4 address

Answered

I have a bug, and now I've discovered that my friend has the same bug, and I don't know if it's a Windows issue or a Telstra modem issue.

The original problem was that I couldn't access OneDrive either directly on my PC or via the Microsoft website on one of my computers, but I could on another one on the same LAN. On further investigation, my computer with the bug wasn't allocated an iPv4 address by the Telstra router, but it was allocated an IPv6 address. So basically I could access IPv6 websites but not IPv4 only websites. The lack of IPv4 address appears both in the modem and on the computer. Both computers were set to obtain an IPv4 and IPv6 address automatically, ditto for the DNS servers.

The workaround is to manually set an IPv4 address details on the affected computer. You also have to manually set the DNS server addresses if you do this.

I have two PCs, the bug happens on one of them but not the other. My smartphone and other devices seem to be unaffected. Now I've discovered that my friend who lives nearby has the same bug.

The things we have in common are that our computers are Windows 10 64 bit. However, my unaffected computer is also Windows 10 64 bit. Both my computers are fully up to date, but I had the bug after the August Windows updates. My friend and I are both Telstra customers but we have different Telstra modem models. We are both on NBN HFC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Bug: No IPv4 address

The Telstra Smart modem recently had a firmware update that enabled Protected Management Frames (PMF) by default. You could try disabling PMF in the advanced WiFi settings of the modem.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

What is the model number of your modem's (LH1000, DJA0231 or DJA0230)?

If you set a static lease in the modem does it the computer get a IPv4 address when left on auto (Go to Advanced > Local network).

If there is a bug it is either the modem or the PCs causing the problem not the connection. I think it is more likely to be a PC problem as it is happening with two different modem models and the first thing I would try is uninstalling and reinstalling the network adapter on the PC.

Highlighted

The model number is DJA0230TLS.

I have tried to set a static lease but it didn't help.  Uninstalling and reinstalling the network adaptor didn't help either.  Neither did restarting the Telstra modem.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The Telstra Smart modem recently had a firmware update that enabled Protected Management Frames (PMF) by default. You could try disabling PMF in the advanced WiFi settings of the modem.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Yes, that solved the problem!

I should also add that my affected computer and my friend's computer have something else in common.  Both used a separate USB Wifi adaptor rather than built-in Wifi.  I don't yet know what brand my friend's adaptor is.

Highlighted

UPDATE: Both my affected computer and my friend's computer's USB WiFi adaptors are D-Link.

Highlighted

Thanks for providing the update. I have a D-Link DWA-182 1200AC adapter that does not seem to be effected.

There have been quiet a few reports of Protected Management  causing problems with WiFi devices mainly old single band 2.4 GHz devices such as printers. In some cases it has resulted in PC crashing with the blue screen of death when connected to the WiFi. PMF causes one of my Android devices to reboot when PMF is either turned on or off which cause a problem when the devices switches connection to a WiFi extender that does not support PMF or switches from the extender directly to the modem's WiFi.

Highlighted

The affected computer has a D-Link DWA-140 RangeBooster N USB Adapter.

Highlighted

That is a very old USB WiFi adapter and it is single band. The blue screen of death is a known problem with some of the D-Link adapters and there is a driver update for some of the adapters but I could not find one for yours. (Example Version: 5.11b03)

"Fix:

- BSOD issue with specific Router under WPA2/ WPA3 security with HT20/ 40 coexistence disabled."

Highlighted

UPDATE: I just installed the D-Link version of the drivers, which is older than the Microsoft supplied driver, and the problem goes away.  So it must be a bug in the Microsoft supplied drivers.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit