geoff20
Level 2: Rookie

C6300DB router

After 11 years of SB5100 and barely a problem, connected my new Netgear C6300BD some 6 weeks ago and a real issue. While the connection appears to be on always via windows 7 monitor window so technically internet is always available, my downloads constantly dropout and restart only to drop out again. With the dropout trying to surf the web is slow or impossible yet when the downloads resume, speed is right back up their. Download speed can drop to 25kbps but do climb to 118Mbps. Just stupid.

The new Netgear modem router is connected to the PC via its ethernet cable. Checked right through the PC and no hardware or software conflicts found. Have contacted the 133933 number and while they are nice and trying to help, anything they suggest is low key and not going to fix my problem.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Any suggestions welcome.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
geoff20

Gateway Max

After 11 years of SB5100 and barely a problem, connected my new Netgear C6300BD some 6 weeks ago and a real issue. While the connection appears to be on always via windows 7 monitor window so technically internet is always available, my downloads constantly dropout and restart only to drop out again. With the dropout trying to surf the web is slow or impossible yet when the downloads resume, speed is right back up their. Download speed can drop to 25kbps but do climb to 118Mbps. Just stupid.

The new Netgear modem router is connected to the PC via its ethernet cable. Checked right through the PC and no hardware or software conflicts found. Have contacted the 133933 number and while they are nice and trying to help, anything they suggest is low key and not going to fix my problem.

Any suggestions welcome.

geoff20

Gateway max

Any suggestions welcome.

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: C6300DB router

Hi geoff20, 

Just to get this out of the way first. Are  you using the power supply cable that came with the C6300BD?  

The symptoms you have outlined are what we see when the wrong power plug pack being used for that modem.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

geoff20

Yes, using the power csble that came with the unit as per instructions in the box.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for confirming that for us. It definitely sounds like there is an issue that requires a technician to investigate. Have you contacted Tech Support so that one can be organised for you?

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

geoff20

Just had the telstra tech guy out today. He was very nice and replaced all the connections, that is the wall connection to the data cable and put a new splitter in the roof  (where foxtel cable and bigpond cable join).

I was hopeful when he said that this router needs more power so the splitter needed replacing due to devices working at different frequencies. No idea what this means but sounds good.

BUT while he tested it and download clocked up 118mbps as it always does at first, a few hours later and using it for about 30 minutes speed fell, internet crawled and at times speed tests could not be carried out since the router could not connect for the test to be carried out.

Very disappointed, continued pathetic internet.

Why are there so many on the forums with the exact same problem as me with Gateway Max.

Please give me back my old SB5100, at least it worked.

geoff20

On a slightly more positive note, thankfully Telstra tech have noted the continued line drop outs after the tech guy left and have escalated the issue to a level 2 technician.

Hope I get credited back my 3 months free supposed 'super fast broadband', since connecting to Gateway Max it has been anything but fast and certainly not reliable.

geoff20

OK enough is enough. I have reached the end. Will not put up with 100 plus Mbps one minute and 42kbps another and then total loss of the connection the next minute.

I give telstra tech 133933 10 out of 10 for politeness and courtesy but ABSOLUTELY NO MARKS for any discernable knowledge of networks or the broader area of communications. They seem to be taught the way one would teach a parrot.

This coupled with the seemingly incremental approach the onsite tech guys take rather than actually fixing the issue has led to frustration and anger.

Have registered a complaint with disconnections and made the decision to abandone Gateway Max early new year.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit