borisx
Level 3: Gumshoe

Cable activation - or Bill and Teds bogus journey

Hi

I just thought i'd share my first week's experience moving to cable from ADSL2+ (iiNet).
Rationale for moving to cable: My current ADSL2+ service is dodgy at best. The landline runs into a pit on the footpath outside my yard, and whenever it rains (maybe even when a dog lifts a leg) the line degrades to dialup speeds, no dial tone etc. After a few days a Telstra repair crew wrap some plastic over it and it works till the next sprinkle.

Since the heavy rain in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago, the line has been near death. Last week I counted over 200 ADSL2+ disconnections in the log; speed tests barely register when its online. Final straw.

Even though the service is bundled with iiNet, they could do nothing about Telstra's inability to permanently fix the landline. The irony of having to resort to Telstra for another service doesn't escape me, but there really isn't any alternative. Anyway, back to the present.

I ordered a 200Gb Ultimate cable service last Friday, using my phone as tether, lets say this registration was for Ted. The online application page disappeared when the connection died (as i was pressing the submit button), and I did not receive a confirmation number. So the first thing I did was call 13-POND, to see if the application had gone through, and was told a clear 'no, please try again'.

The next attempt worked, but I registered as Bill, because the Ted email address was no longer available, which I assumed was just cached somewhere and would sort itself out as the cancelled order cleared the system.

On Monday I received an email to say my application had reached 'Step 2'.

On Wednesday the Netgear router arrived. I also received a letter from BigPond confirming that my username is Bill. Things were looking Excellent at this point.

I then logged in to the BigPond portal for the first time (using Bill to login with), and discovered there were 2 Primary Mailboxes, one for Ted and one for Bill. I clicked on Bill, and the address below says that its actually Ted. 

I then checked the order status window, and there were 2 different orders both "In Progress" (3 actually, but one was duplicated). The first order had the tracking details for the modem, which indicated that it should be the correct one. But why a second one (and why twice)?

Smelling a rat, I called 13-POND again. Also, based on the above, and what was sent to me in the letter, I needed to work if it was Ted or Bill I should be using to register once the cable is active (and ask for the other one to be removed). A simple request one might think.

That's where the 'bogus journey' began. I had a gargantuan 3 1/2 hour mobile phone call to try and find some answers. I was passed around through many people (lost count after 6) like a hot potato and never got nearer to a solution.

One person decided to reset my password for Bill. The next time I tried to login to the portal, the Bill address did not work, and Ted did!  Most heinous.

I tried again today, and finally got escalated to some other group who would 'look into it' and get back in touch inside 48 hours. I am not convinced this is sorted, but am not sure how to proceed.

Although it probably makes no difference, I've made it clear to these dudes that I am without a usable service right now, and working from home (using vpns for example) using a dodgy phone tether is impossible.
I guess I am concerned that this is going to disappear into a black hole, like with so many other posts i've read in here. The doubled up orders will surely hit a wall at some point (and nobody will inform me about it).

My question is, how is it possible for two separate identical cable orders be placed against one service? From what i've read the service is linked to the MAC address of the router, which is definitely a one to one relationship. How can the system get it so wrong?

Anyway, rant over. Any advice on how to get my questions answered (and possibly even an active service) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Borisx

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
52 REPLIES 52
Esther
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Cable activation - or Bill and Teds bogus journey

Hi borisx,

Wow! that defintely doesn't sound much fun Smiley Sad 

I've PM'd you to get your account details so I can follow up on this for you and get your Cable activated ASAP

Thanks 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

borisx

The journey continues..

Since my last note (Friday 15th March - a week after initial application), several things haven't happened. The activation support people who said they would call me back inside 48 never did.

Esther kindly offered to look into the problem, but has not provided any updates. In fact during this entire process, Bigpond has not initiated one call or sent a single email to relay progress information (maybe because there is none?)

I am now getting familiar with the people at the call centre. Using their names in a mark/recapture process I will soon be able to estimate the number of people that work there, which is a more interesting side project than thumb twiddling.

One online support person did (possibly accidentally) mention there is a case number in the system with actual comments on it (why support staff don't read these on a more regular basis is beyond me).

When I asked what it said I was told there is a technical problem with the provisioning (surprise, surprise).. I probed further and as suspected it involved the multiple provisionings of Bill and Ted.

I also found out the escalation request that was put in last week (by the people who were supposed to call me back) was to remove one of these accounts, _not_ to expedite the activation.

The last time I spoke with the guys at the call centre (Tuesday 19th), I was told since it was 11 days since the inital application, my activation request was going to be escalated also. 'How long do you think this might take?' I asked hopefully..'oh, about a week' was the reply. sigh. They also said that once the provisioning has completed, 'we will need to check if the line is okay'. I would have thought this is the first thing they do?? They did ask for the cable MAC address, which sounded positive.

By the time they get around to provisioning the line (I am beginning to have serious doubts - nothing has changed on the order status, no communication, is anyone doing anything??), it will have been nearly 3 weeks.

Even the documentation says 14 days is the max. 14 days came and went. Please hurry this along. 

Bill - Dude, this is a totally deep hole.
Ted - Yeah... now what?
Bill - I don't know.

Esther
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Borisx,

Apologies for the delay in this, there has been some technical issues affecting your Cable orders.

I will be following this up today for you to get some further insight and will send you a email with further info.

Thanks, Esther

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

borisx

I am relaying what has happened here, so that others can take what they need and act accordingly.

It's now Wednesday the 27 March. 19 days since the initial application.

Esther told me that my order is currently 'stuck', and will take between 48 hours and up to a week to be completed. It was escalated on the 19th, but was only assigned to a team on the 23rd. That is 4 days ago now (if you don't count weekends).

Since I have heard nothing this week and I haven't said hi to the call centre people for a few days, i thought i'd try again....

I thought i'd start with live chat. "You are 15th in the queue".. okay, i'll keep that window open and do some work.

Half an hour later 'how may I help you?'

I asked to be informed of the status of my order. They first couldn't trace my account via either Bill or Ted's email, only the account number worked. 'I am checking the order now'.

10 minutes.

'The order for cable 1-12<xxxxxxxxxxA> is still under provisioning, for an indepth information regarding this order you have to call The Activations department, Please call 137663 option 2'

I then reminded them that 1-12<xxxxxxxxxA is the one that is being cancelled.

'Yup, it is but it was already been corrected'

I ask why it doesn't appear as such in my order details (that page has not changed since the beginning)?

'I do apologize for this inconvenience, to be able to answer that concern please feel free to call aCtivations and have this sorted out'.

I thank him and call activations

'Hello, How may I help'

I ask the same question, .ie to be informed of the status of my activation.

'Please hold while i check'.

I am left on hold for 30 minutes.

-- Suggestion for background music - Beck, Lost Cause (Sea Change) on repeat

'The technical team is now looking at the problem, but it may take between 48 hours and a week to process'.

I remind that it was initially escalated on the 19th (last Tuesday), and its now 8 days since.

'May i correct you, its only 6 days as Telstra doesn't count weekends, and the records say it was processed on the 23rd'.

I don't argue, and ask if they can tell me any more about what the problem is, and why this is taking so long.

'No, but I can transfer you to complaints, and they will be able to tell you more'

Ok.

'Hello, How may I help you?'

I provide my customer details, and am told that a complaint was raised internally (by Esther, or someone else).

I ask if they can provide details as to why this is taking so long?

'This is the complaints department, we don't have that information, you will have to talk to activations.'

But activations transferred me to you for more information. No response.

Is there anything I can do to speed this process up, I ask.

'There is no case manager assigned. I can do that for you, but it will take up to 5 days', so you will have one by next Tuesday.

I remind him that its a long weekend coming up, and that Telstra doesn't count weekends, so 5 days is going to be closer to late next week. He doesn't respond, instead says..

'Do you want me to assign a case manager?'

Yes please...

Do you want me pass you back to activations?'. Yes thank you

'Hello how may I help (new person, starting from scratch)?'

I say my details again, and ask to know if there is any further details about the problem they are having.

'Please hold'

Only 5 minutes this time.

'I don't have any further information other than someone has been assigned, and the IT group is looking at the problem', and they will contact you by SMS when the service is available'

I ask if there is any further details they can provide.

No I am sorry there isn't.

I ask if it would be faster to order a brand new service, have them send out a new router etc.

'You will be delayed because it can take up to 3 days to have the router delivered' was the answer.

For some strange reason that made my day. Unbelievable.

3 hours older, no progress, tired and very close to giving up.  

neuteredpuppy
Level 1: Cadet

Hmm,

OK so I think you are currently beating me (just) in the overall strager-than-life-interactions with Telstra.

I too wanted more speed that iinet ADSL2 could manage - although I have to admit the line was rock steady, just at 3.5 Mbps (max) but I wanted to go faster.  Telstra cable looked good, why not give it a go?? 

Luckily did not deconnect iinet as I wanted to see what happened with Telstra.

Called up sales, chatted with a nice chap and we settled on a naked bband plan. He told me how lucky I was as it was special offer time, setup costs only the delivery of the moden - $9.99. $0 activation, 0$ gateway, $0 installation (well there wouldn't be as it is self install??)

Anhoo, all went well, order placed, snappy email address secured, (11/3) my new bff tells me it will take about 5 business days to get he modem. Minutes later a mail (2 actually) drop into my inbox and I can now track my order.  Says "in progress"  (I have since learned that covers a lot at Telstra). 1 week later , no modem. 2 weeks later no modem. Order still "in progress"  Call activations and get a nice person from Philippines. Tells me my order is in progress. After some prompting, it seems to be "stuck"  Only way forward is to cancel and start a new one.  Okely dokely but  that means though, a new mail address. I may be able to access the orignal, apparently.

OK, so now delivery clock has been reset.  Check tracking - in progress. But notice that sudddenly I am being charged an activation fee??  (bear in mind these are my first dealings with Telstra....)  Back on the phone to the Philippines (really nice people there)  after bit of explaining and general confusion re 2 orders,  I am told all customers have t pay activation fee.  "Nothing I can do from here, guvnor, sorry"  Point out that the nice salesperson promised no fee othjer than delivery. So sorry, no record of that in the notes.

Now in between holds I am back on the Tealstra website. Point out to nice activatoions man that Telstra website actually show a special offer, for the plan I have selected, of $0 activation, 0$ gateway, $0 installation.

Poin this out to activations.

silnce, then "em....could you please show me where this is?"

So I do a walkthrough to the offer page (you know,  sort of click here, click that, lokk at that etc)

Amazement from activations, wow didn't know about that let me see what I can do. Ah yes, seems like I suddenly  can knock off that pesky activation fee.

Good news. Old order cancelled, new order started without activaton fee. New mail address. Clock reset.

Sooo,   no modem, "oder in progress"  but at at least no activaton fee. Oh and I did actually get my first bill from Telstra - for $0.

This would be a good time for someone in forum land to tell me all will be good, Telstra rocks....

neuteredpuppy

Okay, excited!  Got a card from Auspost - a parcel from Bigpond is waiting for me at locall PO. (its easter so can't get it until next Tuesday)   I assume this must be a modem and that I am just  few short clicks away from access to the wonders of cable broadband. Get the sense this is something of a record for Telstra - only 22/23 days and 2 calls to activation  of less than an hour each.... )

Will let you know how I get on.....

borisx

I received an SMS from Telstra (on the 28th)

'Sorry, we're experiencing a technical issue with your order. We're working hard to connect you and we'll let you know when your order is completed. If you're not connected within 5 days we'll contact you with another update. 

If you've already been connected please disregard this message'.

That is telling me a few things. 

1. Don't call us, we'll call you.

2. We don't know when this will be fixed, or whether it has been fixed or not. Again the left hand is not communicating with the right.

This was the first telstra initated communication though. Before this point I had no evidence anything had been done. There is a glimmer of hope.

I hope your time to activation is speedy but I wouldn't get my hopes up. If they put you at the end of the queue it might be a long wait. I've had my router connected and blinking sadly at me for nearly 3 weeks, and there are others who have an existing working connection but have had to replace their router, only to end up in the same queue with the same delays.

I look forward to hearing how your install goes. Good luck with it.

neuteredpuppy

Mwahahah. 

Not only did Telstra send a modem - it sent 2. Yes 2 modems.

I had a bad feeling, but pressed on. Picked one at random, connected modem etc etc and activated with username/pass combo.

Success! online and speedtest tells me 35Mbps.....    went into modem, made the obligatory changes to the ssid name, wpa key, admin passwords etc.  All good. hooked up various mobie devices, all good.

Thought I would go into my new Bigpond account......   and lo and behold, I have 2 services showing.

Yes, the service request which the nice person in activation thought was 'stuck' was obvioulsy not stuck. (nor did activations cancel it)......  so I now have 2 identical plans on 1 line......

Will get back to activations and see what happens next.....

borisx

If i were you I would not contact Telstra - chances are once they start fiddling with your settings something will break. If its working, don't fix it!

Over here its been another 6 days with zero progress. Only two more days till 4 weeks has passed. I am almost tempted to sign up again - since there doesn't seem to be any control over how many one can sign up for at the same location, maybe a new one from scratch will jump the queue. After all, the nice lady at the call centre did say I would only have a 3-5 day delay.

borisx

I spoke too soon. Another identical SMS from Telstra repeating the 5 day delay. Awesome.

neuteredpuppy

OK, so during a (boring) work telecon last night, decided to try webchat to see if I could get the 2 services thiings resolved

Logon, am #20 in the queue. 30 mins later number 9 (I was working in between so ok)

10 mins later I am on and  I get a change to type my worries into the text box (had pretyped so just cut and paste)

legend says charmagne typing........

after a few misunderstandings, finally get he point accross that Telstra has provisioned the same service twice.

Charmagne is pretty good though and says she will contact her team leader for advice.

5 mins later message from charmagne -  best if she calls me - so hand over my mobile number.

5 mins later she calls, has good news and tells me that it is no bother to cancel the 2nd service. Telstra will also allow me to keep the mail address associated with the (soon to be cancelled) 2nd service. I suppose why not, who else would want a mail address I picked out. She will also arrange a pre-paid bag I can stick the seconf modem into and send back to Telstra.

Now it may get tricky. I have an 'interaction number' which i need to use to call billing when I get my first bill, they will then refund any charges associted with 2nd service.

So as of today, only 1 service showing in my account, connection seems solid (bear in mind I am just trying to see how stable/fast it is so only have 30Mbps 80Gb plan to start). consistently get 30Mbs+ no drop outs so far....

Just got to make sure I contact billing to clear up any last account issues...

borisx

Dear diary

Monday 8th of April. Last Thursday I was informed a specialised team would contact me inside 24 hours. 24 hours later, no call had been made. They did add ("no guarantee") in their message, so I am guessing they are aware if their slightly rough interpretation of time.

I sent a note to remind them to call me, and today I received a call, and a number and name( lets call him Bob) and a request to call them back ( I was in a meeting and missed the call). 

I called the number an hour later, and here's where the fun began again. 

I told them I was returning a call regarding my delayed cable activation, and told them the name of the person who called me. The reply was:

"Is it the current mobile service you are having problems with?".

I repeated, no, I am calling about delays you are having activating my cable broadband, and am returning Bob's call"

"Okay, let me see who it is who is looking after this. Please hold" .....

"I am sorry, but the person is currently not available. They will be in touch inside 24 hours"

The negative is that the people answering the phone do_not_listen. I should not have to repeat everything.

The positive thing is, that we have now moved from 5 day returns to 24 hour returns. This is asymptotically a good thing, but my fear is like all asymptotes, they never quite reach their final goal.

joshmuggo
Level 2: Rookie

same story here.

Was told my escalation had reached the back end team and someone would be in contact with me in 24-48 hours. no response.

Rang this morning and asked to speak to a supervisor, none available so will call me at 1pm. No response.

Just rang and got put through to "advanced customer care" speaking with a lovely woman who is doing all she can for me right now to get me through to escalations and get this sorted for me today. Seems like she is taking my case personally and following it through til the end. i hope!

will wait and see!

rickysullivan

Today I'm celebrating 30 days of being stuck with the 'In Progress' status message. My story is 100% exactly the same as what everyone here has mentioned.

I also have 2 modems. One destined to go back to Telstra, yet they've forgotten to send me the sticker to send it back to them.

Fibre is being installed in my suburb and is due for completition MAY 2013. At this rate, I will be ready for a fibre install.

rickysullivan

Further to this. I have to say that the case manager I have is doing a great job in responding, he's pollite and actually makes sense when I speak the him. 

borisx

I finally got a call back from the case manager. Very polite, but said all they can do is prod the department responsible for activations to do what they are supposed to. 

I asked about why the delays, and he said he was aware there are many people in the same boat, and that there is a bigger problem, but didn't have any other information to offer.

So back to waiting..

For those in the same situation, it would be great if you can post any outcome you may have. 

rickysullivan

Just got an email from my case manager...

"Firstly we have had progress with the Cable order that will hopefully allow the order to complete in our systems over the next 24 hours and allow the modem to be registered correctly and activate the service. as advised I am checking with them today to see if there is anything that I can complete on my end to have this pushed through and faster and will have an update via email tomorrow when I am back in the office after 2pm Adelaide time, unless there are any updates tonight."

Sounds hopeful.

joshmuggo
Level 2: Rookie

i'm finally connected.

got an email from telstra last night to say we are good to go. Restarted the router and they were right!

Finally

rickysullivan

Me too! Except there's some issues with the coax line as there's no WAN light. They're sending a tech out tomorrow.

Extreame
Level 20: Director

In reply: @rickysullivan

Can you please post a screenshot of your modem signal levels, modem event log, and gateway status page (remove any CM MAC addresses and any other identifiable information such as serial numbers, IP addresses associated with your modem/account).

Please leave ALL CMTS MAC addresses intact.

Looking forward to your reply Smiley Happy

rickysullivan

Screen Shot 2013-04-10 at 7.44.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-04-10 at 7.45.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-04-10 at 7.44.48 PM.png

Extreame

Your Ultimate cable is not connected, it is still looking for the first frequency on Elite.

It may take another 24 hours before the account is switched over, this is not intended, but is a software issue.

Everyone must go through this.

Report back in 24 hours, with screenshots, and will update you then Smiley Happy

rickysullivan

A technician is scheduled to arrive tomorrow at 8am. We'll see what he has to say aswell.

borisx

'Abe' (i've named the router) is still 'a blinkin'.

The case manager said the appropriate group would contact me within 48 hours, but....you get the drift.

Day 34 and counting. This is really quite amazing.

rickysullivan

And Turnbull thinks copper is good enough Smiley Happy

OH GOD. 35 days and counting. I had a tech booked, but had to cancel because of a work commitment.

Wonder if the Box on the side of my house is too old or not correct. 

2013-01-17 18.47.53-1.jpg

Extreame

The grey isolation box looks fine to me.

The box itself has a galvanic isolator in it, that connects between the lead-in and your wall plate.

The use of the galvanic isolator is to protect both, your network and Bigpond's HFC network, from things like lightning strikes, electricity surges and electromagnetic influences.

Better still, why not again, post a screenshot of your modem signal levels and the gateway status pages (removing only personally identifiable information such as CM MAC, IP and serial numbers), so we can see if the account has been switched to EuroDOCSIS 3.0 yet.

rickysullivan

Will have to be when I get home. But will do.

borisx

Today I checked the portal's order detail page and noticed the first change in weeks. One of the duplicated orders had been cancelled.

Originally there were two orders (one with the router delivery details attached, another with two identical entries).  

I called the case manager to see what was going on, and he said he had been advised the order had been completed.

He had then also checked the progress and noticed that the activations people had missed the second order (the one that was supposed to be provisioned in the first place). He said he asked that order to be escalated.

Then late this afternoon I checked my letterbox and found a missed parcel delivery card. I wasn't expecting anything, but when i got to the post office - lo and behold, a second router from Bigpond!!

Now, why this router was sent 30+ days after the initial one is totally beyond me. Naturally I plugged it in, and it doesn't connect (but then the order is still being provisioned so am not expecting it to). I don't expect anyone at the call centre to know what is going on, so i'll just swap them occasionally and cross my fingers one of them does more than blink.

The insanity continues...

rickysullivan

No dice. The screen shots are identical.

I just received and email from the custom service team...

"We have found one section where the MAC address was not listed correctly and updated this in the system now the 15/04/2013 and it is now showing correctly. I would ask that you have the modem reset and plugged in again and see if this will allow the connection to the internet to be completed."

Still, no luck. I don't think anyone knows what's going on with my connection. One conversation I'm being told it's a problem at Telstras end, the next converstation, I'm getting told it's my end.

WHICH END IS IT PEOPLE!

borisx

41 days and counting.

Case manager was confused by the second router delivery, and promised to call back the next day to tell me what is going on.

No call.

rickysullivan

I have a tech coming today. Between 0800 and 1200.  Will update here with the progress.

Extreame

What was the outcome of the tech visit today?

borisx

again no call back. Ombudsman has been contacted.

rickysullivan

Wow. I'm connected. 41 Days from ordering to activation.

It doesn't sound much, but when you've not had the internet for 3 months, 4 days (I cancelled our ADSL because it wasn't working and the tech support went like this "Have you tried turning it off and on?") you kinda go bonkers.

Hallelujah!

Turns out my coax cable at the street level 'tap' had been ripped from it's socket. I was with the tech and was asking all kinds of questions. Very odd situation.

Anyway, he replaced a few components and bingo. 112Mbps.

The tech was a real champ.

I'm still kind of frustrated it has taken this long and I'd like to see SOME compensation for the countless hours I've spent trying to get this solved.

speed.png

borisx

@rickysullivan

I am deeply jealous, but its good to hear that your problem is sorted.

Regarding compensation, please advise if they offer any. Like many here, I've lost a lot of money not being able to work from home, and the lack of urgency displayed by this organisation to fix things is abysmal.

My case manager has now failed to call back each time promised. Each afternoon I phoned to check with the central number with my case details, and each day there has been a scheduled return call which did not happen.

The lack of cohesiveness of the support system is shown by the fact that the complaints department can only contact case managers by email. Something tells me that is a bit of a porkie, but that's what they tell their customers. It just means the only way forward is to wait another 24 hours (and then another...)

Fingers crossed the ombudsman isn't toothless on these kind of situations.

purplewolf

Hi all I'm just at the start of my cable activation journey and hoping I don't have the same problems others have experienced.

I have been with Telstra Cable since November (not by choice but it was the only option at the property). There were a few issues with the connection and billing but it all got sorted relatively easily.

I moved house over the weekend and  I organised the move details in advance and had scheduled the install for Friday  (19/4) evening between 5-7pm. I took time off work to ensure I was available for the technician (last time he wanted to come 4 hours early). 7pm came and went with no sign or contact from a technician so I called up the customer service team.

I had a very nice gentleman helping me he tried to get onto activations who in turn tried to get onto the work force team to find out why the technician didn't show. Although they had it booked for 1-5pm in their system. Unfortunately the work force team had gone home. The best he could do was book another time (Tuesday 23rd) for a new technician and escalate to complaints to see if it could expidite it. I was to expect a call within 24hrs for an update and information on why the technician never showed.

Saturday came and went and so did Sunday with no contact. I decided to call to check on what was happening as I'd need to take time off work again. It's a good thing I did as there was no booking for Tuesday even though that one was mentioned in the notes. I got transferred to the complaints team as the activations team couldn't schedule a new appointment. After nearly 25 minutes on hold to the complaints staff member with no updates on his progress (I was getting updates every 2 minutes with all other staff members) the best he could do was to schedule an appointment for 1-5 on Wednesday. I agree stating that it will be the second day I've had to take off work to be there. He then put me on hold again to confirm the appointment and came back saying they had made a mistake and now the best they could offer is Saturday 27th between 1 & 5pm. Still no explanation could be offered as to why the first technician never showed or why the booking for Tuesday wasn't made even though it was mentioned in the notes.

My housemate vented her frustration to the Telstra Twitter account and got a response that there were delays in activations as technicians have been redeployed to fix services affected by natural disasters. I'm not sure if I believe this or not as I've spoken to 7 different people about this issue and not one of them mentioned anything about delays.

Apparently the case has been escalated to a senior case manager to ensure the connection happens on Saturday and to discuss compensation. I'll believe it when I'm browsing the internet at home again.

rickysullivan

I was offered $100 for compensation. I accepted this offer. I would have pushed for more considering that I lost more than half a days work because of it, but I'm too tired to fight anymore. I won't be recommending my friends, that's for sure.

borisx

Another week has begun, and new and interesting twists and turns abound.

This time I received a call on from Bigpond on Sunday. This was not a scheduled call and I wasn't there to pick up.

The message left was that they would call back today, and they left a return number, and a new case number should I feel inclined to give them a call.

I just did, and 

a) the number they provided 'has been disconnected'

b) the new case number was not found in the system (why do i need a second case number?)

I used the old number and old reference instead. The nice lady at the other end promised to escalate it to a team leader. 

One other thing happened. My order details via the bigpond.com.au website changed. Gone were all the multiple and cancelled orders, with just a single one left. Strangely, the only one that had a reference to a home install (and a courier number for the router), was also deleted. So I am guessing the new router is the one I should be trying. But alas its still on the blink.

purplewolf

Thanks for the info Ricky.

Borsix, I've also got two orders (same order number though) showing on the order tracking. Strangely mine both show the disconnection at my old address but then connection at the new address. They also show all the fees associated with a new service. I'm just waiting for a modem to turn up based on your experience (or possibly two).

I really hope you get connected soon.

borisx

This is getting weirder by the minute. My Bigpond page now says I have no current orders, and that the only previous order has been cancelled.

No soup for you.

rickysullivan

To rub salt in the wound. On my way into work this morning, I spotted contractors doing work on footpath. I stopped in for a nosey-look-see. Asked if it was fibre they're installing. Yep, it's arriving. Like I said once before, by the time my cable is sorted, fibre will be in the area. 

borisx

same here, but fibre here is scheduled for late 2014..

rickysullivan

What's your update borisx? Any news?

borisx

Yesterday I was promised a call back today, which happened about 30 minutes ago.

A new number (NSW prefix), and a new person - who said they had been asked to contact me regarding my connection.

He was unable to help, so transferred me to 'the technical group' - who had no idea what I was calling them about. Luckily they were able to find the crumb trail via the linked email address. The tech guy then acknowledged (finally), that they have been having some technical issues with provisioning, and a lot of accounts have been 'stuck'. 

He also said its not his department, so then proceeded to connect me to activations. The next person said they would contact me by SMS, as to the outcome of this. 

So now I am back to where I was about 3 weeks ago - where the automated SMS messages have started.

'Sorry, we understand your're still waiting to be connected and acknowledge the incovenience caused by this delay. We're working hard to connect you and we'll let you know when the order is completed. If you've already been connected please disregard this message'

sigh.

khanh2907

I've been waiting to get my cable service connected after ordering it 7 weeks ago. The people on the phone and internet didn't really do much about it so I went out to a Telstra store (Broadway Sydney) and had a chat with the manager there. He promised me that he would look into it and get it activated in 3-7 days.

2 days later and I'm connected with speeds of 110mbps.

Maybe try talking to them in person?

Good luck borisx.

borisx

Thanks khanh2907

I'll give that a try tomorrow. Can't hurt!

borisx

Telstra shop experience:

I explained that this is day 49 of waiting for a cable activation. Can you help?

'Did you order it through our shop'?

I said it was done over the internet.

'Then you have to call BigPond directly'.

When I asked if he was sure about that - referring to khanh2907's experience, he looked baffled, and asked the store manager to take a look.

The manager pulled up my details, and said - 'your service is active'. I told him that the blinking modems tell a different story. He looked thoughtful and then wrote something down on a piece of paper and handed it to me. It read 13-POND (!). I asked if he was serious, and he just looked at me.

'You have to call technical support. That is all I can do'. 

A few minutes later the case manager called to say that she has been in touch with technical support

'but I can't give you their special number directly'.

She said they had asked her to get the MAC addresses of both routers.Bad timing to be in a mall, but I rushed back home, and am now waiting for her to call back.

This is information i have provided them with on a number of occasions, and one would think the router details are attached to the account number. It would make sense, but I've given up trying to fathom the number of ways this organisation is broken.

Its late Friday afternoon, and Telstra will mostly likely have gone home, so this is going to roll into week number 8. That is supposed to be a lucky number isn't it?

borisx

Update:

The case manager called back at 4.55pm, and then proceeded to connect me with the technical group. She left me in the queue and went home. After an hour of U2 on loop someone replied, and then checked what is going on.

The back end problems have finally been sorted, but the router/s can't find the signal - so now its no longer an activations problem but a physical one. They booked someone to come out on Monday afternoon between 1 and 5pm to check the line outside of the house. They could not do this earlier because the line had to be activated at their end first.

Finally getting somewhere..

khanh2907

Man that sucks.... I thought the store people were better. Maybe it was just the one branch.

Sorry for misleading you. Smiley Sad

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit