mandj2046
Level 1: Cadet

cable broadband speed - frontier modem and netgear extender

Hi, I have had issues with my cable broadband ever since we moved into this house in Mar 2015 (we are in 2046 NSW) with frequent unexplained dropouts. Finally Telstra replaced my modem with a Frontier Gateway model. We have a 2 storey house so we use a netgear range extender AC750. I need help to check if the speeds we are getting is what we should be expecting. I find that the laptop downstairs is often laggy and not as fast as I think it should be. Upstairs, we noticed straight away that the range extender didn't work where it was positioned and we had to move it another room to pick up the new modem signal. The speed is also much worse than it is before. We stream netflix upstairs to our tv using the range extender + chromecast. We can't even watch an episode without it pausing and lagging and the streaming quality is much worse than it used to be. The only thing that has changed is the modem - which now sends out only one wifi network and the devices auto choose 2G or 5G? Our previous one sent out 2 networks and we could manually choose. I'm wondering if this is one of the issues. Someone please help! I have the Telstra wifi maximiser app on my iphone but I need guidance to walk through a diagnostics. Thank you! 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: cable broadband speed - frontier modem and netgear extender

Have you tried changing the 5 G Wi-Fi Band SSID of the Frontier so that it has a different SSID to the the 2.4 G band then you would be able to manual set which band to use.

mandj2046

when you go into the frontier settings, it does not allow you to change the name of the SSID. 

@cf4 wrote:

Have you tried changing the 5 G Wi-Fi Band SSID of the Frontier so that it has a different SSID to the the 2.4 G band then you would be able to manual set which band to use.

I just ran a speed test on my laptop and this is what I get. Is this good or bad for cable? I just know that loading pages is very slow. E.g. navigating around facebook. 

https://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-test/results/49593344

[([`Test run on `][*["24/05/2017"]*] [`@`] [*["9:31 AM"]*])]
[([`Mirror`]: [*["Optus"]*]   [`Data: `][*["36 MB"]*]   [`Test Time: `][*["10.946 secs"]*])]
[([`Speed:`] [*["27.62 Mbps"]*] )]

[([`Link: <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-test/results/49593344">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>`])]

cf4

Using Wi-Fi Maximiser

Below is an image of the Wi-Fi signal strength in my house.

The green areas represent good reception yellow areas marginal reception and red areas poor reception.

If I was using a Wi-Fi extender to improve reception at back of house I would place it in a green area.

Wi-Fi_maximiser.png

mandj2046

I've just done this and the extender is already in the best room possible for the upstairs floor. Not sure if we moved it downstairs to an even stronger room whether it would be able to boost the signal upstairs.
mandj2046

The modem settings does not allow me to change ssid name of 5g network. It defaults to the same. Tried this with Telstra support on the phone.
Georgie
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey @mandj2046,

The best place to put the extender would be on a "fence" type area where the existing modem reaches a medium-strong signal. The extender will then boost this signal further. You can download the Telstra Wi-Fi Maximiser app from Android of Google in order to map your Wi-Fi as cf4 has suggested in their previous post. 

Let us know how you go.

-Georgie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

eAJ2015
Level 8: Inspector

go to "wifi" and the 2.4ghz tab and try unchecking "Band Steering Enabled" and then click save. After that you should be able to have 2 separate SSIDs.

2.4ghz has lower speed but can go through walls etc. better where as the 5Ghz band has a higher speed range but doesn't like obstacles as much.

With the extender, are you connected wirelessly to it or via a cable? if wired then the extender ( as least as it is with mine) will only pass either then 2.4 or the 5 to the cable.

also with the extender try only using one band to connect to the router and the other to connect to the devices. on Netgear extender i think they call it fast lane.

I also have a frontier and a long house. I have found the wireless signal it gives out to be poor so used an old router and set it up as and access point and then used that to connect our extenders to.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit