CableUser77
Level 1: Cadet

Cable Broadband Ultimate - Constant Dropouts

I'm new to cable broadband and until recently thought it was great.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Over the past 2 months I've been experiencing dropouts and outages, some are short, some are for hours, at one stage I was without my cable internet access for over a week. After the outage that lasted over a week I thought that everything was fixed, but unfortunately recently I've been experiencing dropouts.

When I ring tech support and tell them that I have lost my internet again, they run me through their basic troubleshooting solutions, ie restart gateway, diconnect cable etc etc. They usually say that from what they can see, everything is ok.

I then inform them that the Basic Settings section of my Netgear CG3100D-2 states that the Network Configuration is Disconnected and that my WAN IP Address is Blank to which they usually respond "well we can see that you have an IP address" which doesn't help me much.

Sometimes my internet reconnects and I receive a new IP Address, sometimes it doesn't, after they remotely reset my Gateway.

I have also been experiencing dropouts of my foxtel, except it usually comes back on.

Could someone let me know if this is a known problem with Cable Broadband and if there are any solutions?

I have a technician booked for 2 weeks time, which is a long way away without my broadband working properly.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Ben_J
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Cable Broadband Ultimate - Constant Dropouts

Hi CableUser77,

Sorry to see the community hasn't been able to provide you with any advice yet!

I'll make sure one of our technical team take a look at your post tomorrow Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

From what you have described, a technician appointment is the best path to getting this resolved. It sounds like you are in an area with a very high workload, hence the delayed appointment time.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

JoeyD
Level 1: Cadet

Been having the same issues in SE Melb. Around 10-20 per day. During the night when we're home we notice it the most - it almost seems like at 'peak' times it drops out more frequenctly.

Had a tech come down and do a few things, my modem frequency was low - he's changed this and also replaced some wiring/connectors/or something outside the house. He made mention that if it hasn't been resolved it's most likely a dodgy modem. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit