KatieBrown
Level 11: Detective

Cable connect to NBN

Answered

Hi there, recently contacted by Telstra putting pressure on me to connect to NBN. Cut off time apparently is in January 2022.

My neighbour has ADSL and can connect apparently by just plugging in a new modem to his telephone line. Don't know about Foxtel which he has, she couldn't help there either. I apparently would be sent an adaptor and can connect via my cable connection.

Here is the problem - I have to organise my neighbour's connection as well as mine and would like to take time to consider my options especially with his "Foxtel connection" etc.

I have been told that I cannot move my cable connection point from one place in the house to another or get another cable point put in. This is ridiculous. I do not want my NBN connection where I currently have my cable connection due to the fact that the telephone has to connect to the modem as well. I want to move the connection to a central point in the house.

My point is, why can't I have my cable connection put elsewhere in the house? 

Our connection is FTTC - Fibre to the Curb.  My understanding was that I could use any of my telephone points and I was under the impression they needed to be rewired but apparently I can but my neighbour who is on ADSL can.  I am confused as to why I can't move a cable connection point inside the house? Apparently Telstra can't do it only NBN. 

I've seen others have had people come in and re-wire for NBN. 

And people wonder why we don't rush to NBN when even your Telstra representative can't help. 

Well at least she told me I have until 28th January 2022 to deal with this headache for the two properties.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KatieBrown
Accepted Solution

Re: Cable connect to NBN

Tried contacting Telstra and NBN, unfortunately didn't happen. Too long waiting.

Spoke to an electrician and got some advice and the problem will be sorted in due course.

Some of what the Telstra representative told me was "not right".

Will attend to this in a couple of months.

@KatieBrown wrote:

Unfortunately that is not what the Telstra person told me. She told me I could not use the existing telephone socket/s. Very confusing. 

So I don't need to move my cable connection just use one of the telephone sockets I have or install one and a power point where I want the modem to go in the hallway.

I wish these Telstra representatives would be helpful and know what they are talking about.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

If your NBN connection will be FTTC you should be able to use any of the Telephone sockets. The sockets only have to be rewired if they were not correctly wired when installed. They also need rewiring if you want to use them to extend the phone socket on the modem to another room.

KatieBrown

Hi there, that is what I thought but I was told I could not use my telephone sockets (I currently have my phone plugged into one so they work), I was told I would have to use my cable internet socket and they would send an adapter out and I had to use the existing cable socket and could not have it moved or another put in another room. All very confusing.

I don't want my NBN connection where my current cable socket is. I want it in a central place but I have been told I cannot do this and my telephone sockets will not work with NBN because I have cable internet?

@cf4 wrote:

If your NBN connection will be FTTC you should be able to use any of the Telephone sockets. The sockets only have to be rewired if they were not correctly wired when installed. They also need rewiring if you want to use them to extend the phone socket on the modem to another room.

cf4

The cable adapter they send out is for Telstra cable which allows you to use the Smart modem with a Telstra cable service while waiting for the NBN installation. If your premises is going to be using FTTC the NBN NTD will plug into an existing telephone socket.

KatieBrown

Unfortunately that is not what the Telstra person told me. She told me I could not use the existing telephone socket/s. Very confusing. 

So I don't need to move my cable connection just use one of the telephone sockets I have or install one and a power point where I want the modem to go in the hallway.

I wish these Telstra representatives would be helpful and know what they are talking about.

KatieBrown
Accepted Solution

Tried contacting Telstra and NBN, unfortunately didn't happen. Too long waiting.

Spoke to an electrician and got some advice and the problem will be sorted in due course.

Some of what the Telstra representative told me was "not right".

Will attend to this in a couple of months.

@KatieBrown wrote:

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit