Level 2: Rookie

Cable cut off for NBN but NBN not ready

Hi,

I recently had my cable cut off at my house and was told by Telstra that both Cable and ADSL are restricted at my address. My problem is NBN will not be ready for at least 6 months at my address which has been confirmed by both Telstra and NBN. This leaves me with only wireless options that are slow and expensive which just does not work for two adults working from home using Zoom and other streaming.

Could anyone tell if this is a common occurrence, do I have a right to complain, can Cable simply be turned back on or can NBN be fast tracked at no cost to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

the only solution Telstra has given me is wireless options. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Cable cut off for NBN but NBN not ready

I would be talking to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman to get their opinion as something is fundamentally not right.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Yeah I have lodged a complaint there so I will see where that takes me.

It took me 6 weeks of phone calls, emails and various other forms of communication with both Telstra and NBN just to finally work out what the exact situation was. It was like no one was prepared to actually tell me the truth. 

I am at the point where I may need to move house so I will definitely be suggesting to the TIO that Telstra and NBN compensate for any moving expenses. I very much doubt they will help me with that given the reviews I have read about the TIO.

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The TIO can't help get you compensation for moving house. The legislation governing the operation of the TIO doesn't include that ability. You could only be compensated the amount that it has cost you in paying for a service that you are not receiving, and possibly the cost of the mobile broadband.

NBN can't be fast tracked. You can't connect to a network that hasn't been turned on yet. They have to finish building it in your area first.

There are two things at play here:

1. When the NBN enters construction phase in an area, a "stop order" is put in place preventing any new non-NBN connections being made (ie Cable & ADSL). This period can last from 6-12 months.
  2. Why was your service disconnected? If it was an error on Telstra's behalf, then there is a process that they can follow to obtain an exemption to the "stop order", which would allow for reconnection to be made.

If you have lodged a complaint with the TIO, then that may actually take longer to get resolved than if you had lodged a formal complaint with Telstra itself. A Telstra complaints manager should have been able to initiate the "stop order" waiver process.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Hi Jupiter,

Thanks for the specific details there. That actually helps to understand the issue further.

I actually had two complaints lodged with Telstra first and because we got absolutely no feedback or resolution over the 6 week period I decided it was time to try the TIO.

I did actually read that submitting a complaint to the TIO would move you up the queue with Telstra. Obviously that was incorrect but I had really run out of patience after 6 weeks of nothing before finally being offered a wireless option.

Level 23: Superhero

George, clarifying my post re TIO.

My reply was Not in relation to the TIO for compensation, but discuss with the TIO the scenario of the disconnections of your previous service before the NBN was available, and their possible assistance in restoration.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Hi Professor,

Yeah that was my take from your post anyway. The compensation part is me just showing some of my anger and I realise I have no chance of compensation. 

I had another scenario some years ago that was much more serious than this in another industry and had to go through the ombudsman and I worked out very quickly they never assist in compensation and that if you want to go down that path you need to take the company you have the issue with to court directly.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit