Rory12
Level 4: Private Eye

Cable dropouts and slow speeds

Answered

I am currently on the 500GB Elite Cable bundle and over the last 4-5 months, I am constantly experiencing dropouts and slow speeds. I have had 3 techs out to fix the issue, my Netgear CGD24N modem has been replaced, they have checked through my roof and outside, all the cabling and even tried to change the channel of the modem. I regularly clean my registery and temp files etc but I can have speeds ranging from 29mbps to 5mbps and then to not even being able to log on without sometimes switching off the modem or disconnecting and then reconnecting through my pc. The final straw was after purchasing a Telstra Wifi ultimate device and straight away having smooth log on to the net and speed testing the device and finding it is quicker than my cable. I have enquired about the ultimate cable plan but feel considering all the issues that I am having, why should I pay for a new modem when I am paying reasonable money for a service that is not delivering. I am hoping for some advice on my issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rory12
Accepted Solution

Re: Cable dropouts and slow speeds

I called the telstra techs out again, as turning off my NAT and getting another router seemed a waste of money, and after about 3 hours and 4 techs and re-wiring the cable from the box to the wall, I have had no issues whatsoever. I also upgraded to the ultimate cable around the same time the techs came out and found that updating your wireless adapter and ethernet adapter will increase your speed. Having splitters for cable and foxtel can be an issue as well with dropouts and speed.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Extreame
Level 20: Director

Try this: Disable NAT

If that works for you, then I would suggest that you buy a separate router to do the routing job that the modem cant do.

Keep us updated on how you get on.

Rory12
Accepted Solution

I called the telstra techs out again, as turning off my NAT and getting another router seemed a waste of money, and after about 3 hours and 4 techs and re-wiring the cable from the box to the wall, I have had no issues whatsoever. I also upgraded to the ultimate cable around the same time the techs came out and found that updating your wireless adapter and ethernet adapter will increase your speed. Having splitters for cable and foxtel can be an issue as well with dropouts and speed.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit