Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Cable internet download speeds <1mbps

Answered

I've had issues with cable internet since yesterday.

Effectively download speeds are less than <1mbps. At times, the service cuts out completely and I know this as I have Nest Cams and I get a message whenever any of them are offline (I had 26 messages from yesterday alone!). Whenever the internet does come back, at times it can go up to 20mbps. This morning, I tested and it was around 30mbps, but this quickly dropped down to <1mbps after about 15 minutes of use. It should be noted that this is still down from the normal download speeds I used to get (a few days ago) of around 75-90mbps. All lights are green on the adaptor and modem, so for all intents and purposes, to Telstra, the connection seems to be working.

I have contacted Telstra support twice and we have gone through checking coaxial cables, connections between the adaptor and modem and even hard reset both devices on my side to see if that would change things, however the result is still the same. They have tried to troubleshoot the issue from their side but to no avail. I have two Level 2 incidents lodged now, but with the working week looming and Zoom calls to get to, I'm desperate to return to normality from a few days ago.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Cable internet download speeds <1mbps

Those stats indicate there is fault in the street cabling that will require a visit by Telstra  Tech to investigate and fix. The down stream power levels are to low.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Could you post the adapted line stats. These will give an idea medication of any problems with the street cabling?

CM450. Might need to plug directly into the adapter with Ethernet):
http://192.168.100.1/ > Broadband Connection > Connection Settings

Default Username/password: admin/password
You're looking for Frequencies, Power Levels, SNR, etc

Downstream between -15 to +15dBmV is good.
Closer to 0.0dBmV the better.

Upstream between +40dBmV to 54dBmV is good.
Closer to 40dBmV the better.

SNR +38dB and above is good.
40+dB the better.

See attached.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Those stats indicate there is fault in the street cabling that will require a visit by Telstra  Tech to investigate and fix. The down stream power levels are to low.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for the fast response!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit