Dtaylor
Level 1: Cadet

Cable internet keeps disconnecting.

I transferred my internet from Optus cable about 12months ago.

From the beginning I experienced frequent drop outs which were usually resolved by restarting the Netgear CM450-1TLAUS adaptor. Recently, it has become more temperamental and requiring several resetting attempts before reconnecting.

A few weeks ago it totally refused to reconnect, so I called support. After much fiddling around they claimed it was interference to the wifi! 

The Telstra Home Dashboard says the wifi is ok and my devices are displayed as being connected. It says the “Telstra Gateway” is disconnected from the internet. Support ignored that.

The Wifi seems to work fine as I can even do a backup from my Mac to the Time Capsule when I use the Time Capsule Wifi. Even using the Telstra supplied Sagecom F@st 5355 Gateway I still have the same results. So I am sure the Wifi is working fine just as it was with the Optus modem/wifi. In the many years with Optus I only had one interruption. So I find this quite unacceptable. 

I do not understand how interference with the Wifi (which I do not believe occurs) causes the adaptor to disconnect and not reconnect?

Can someone help me please.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
343GuiltySpark
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Cable internet keeps disconnecting.

Can you please post your modem RF stats:

On a Cable Adapter
(CM450):
http://192.168.100.1/ > Broadband Connection > Connection Settings

Default Username/password: admin/password
You're looking for Frequencies, Power Levels, SNR, etc

If possible, can you connect a computer directly to the cable adapter via Ethernet and see it if works when the Telstra Gateway is unable to connec

I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras
mazinoz
Level 19: Deputy Director

I find it hard to believe that wifi could cause / interfere with a cable issue.

Have you checked outages.telstra.com? Also the troubleshooting tool towards the bottom of the page? Make a note of any errors. Also If NBN rollout is going on expect several weeks of issues that mean you can only use wifi, which may become congested.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn-about-the-nbn/rollout-map.html

Another thing you could try is resetting all the modems / routers connected to internet. Usually achieved by finding a little red button on the case and using a pen/paperclip depress it for 10 - 30 secs. Then please report back here on the results of these and GuiltySparks suggestions.
Dtaylor

I found it hard to believe myself when I have never had problems with Optus.

Checked outages again today and there is one. None yesterday when the problem started again.

No NBN here for 18 months yet.

i will try again once the outage is resolved.

Dtaylor

Thanks for the response.

How do you connect to the adaptor CM450?

I can connect to the Gateway router via my Gateway.

I have connected via Ethernet and run the windows Ethernet troubleshooter and it came up with “unable to get a valid IP address” I then checked and I now have an outage.

I will get back to you when the outage is resolved.
343GuiltySpark

You should be able to just connect via Ethernet. May be an issue with the adapter. When the outage is over we'll try again.
I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit