akeyvak
Level 2: Rookie

Cable internet speed boost

Answered
I used to experience approx 36Mbps download and 1.5Mbps upload speed. I was thinking as to why my upload speed is that low. I understand it is normally slower but not that much. So I called telstra technical support. The tech support told me that with $10 extra I can boost the speed up to 100Mbps download and 40Mbps (!!! Later I was told there is such a high upload speed!) and accepted - the tech support did something and we finished the call. Only for me to find out right after the call that my download speed is actually dropped to approx 9Mbps with upload speed of approx 400Kbps!!!! Multiple calls and I getting no where and ridiculous answers!!!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShannonD
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Cable internet speed boost

Hi akeyvak,

So you're aware, 

• BigPond Fast Cable (previously BigPond Elite Cable) plans provide maximum speeds up to 30/1Mbps.

• Super Fast Speed Boost on Cable  can provide speeds up to a maximum of 100/2MBps~ into the home for sharing across multiple users in a household. These speeds are so fast they exceed the capabilities of many content servers and individual PCs.

The 100/40 speeds you're referring to are for an NBN service with the speed boost & not Cable. 

I'd recommend referring to http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Testing-your-broadband-speed/ta-p/278139

If you would like us to investigate & make sure everything is ok on our end, please call 133933 & if necessary, they'll arrange a tech appointment. 

Apologies for any inconvenience or confusion

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
ShannonD
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi akeyvak,

So you're aware, 

• BigPond Fast Cable (previously BigPond Elite Cable) plans provide maximum speeds up to 30/1Mbps.

• Super Fast Speed Boost on Cable  can provide speeds up to a maximum of 100/2MBps~ into the home for sharing across multiple users in a household. These speeds are so fast they exceed the capabilities of many content servers and individual PCs.

The 100/40 speeds you're referring to are for an NBN service with the speed boost & not Cable. 

I'd recommend referring to http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Testing-your-broadband-speed/ta-p/278139

If you would like us to investigate & make sure everything is ok on our end, please call 133933 & if necessary, they'll arrange a tech appointment. 

Apologies for any inconvenience or confusion

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

View solution in original post

akeyvak

Thanks for reply I understand now the speed spec
Though it does nit explain why my speed is dropped to 9mbps from what it was or 36mbps! I guess I will have to contact that number
pulp_friction

Works for me.

4084020361.png

akeyvak

Right now I do get line speed of approx 35Mps download and 1.16Mps upload - a bit more than the spec :-) happy about that
I was told to boost speed, I also need to get another modem - I don't need this right now - I'm happy
Cas-Ra
Support Team
Support Team

Awesome to hear Smiley Happy It's always great to get such a positive update!

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Michael_T
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Shannon, from what I have reasearched, the cable modems are capable of  bonding up to 16 channels  for downlink speeds and up to 4 channels for uplink. Yet we are only able to use one uplink channel. With a simple mod, it is possible to get better uplink speeds than what is currently being offerered on HSC. I have wondered why it isn't done, as it seems to be an easy fix.

Some of us actually create content rather than just consume online content. This is where greater uplink speeds are of most use. The throttling of the uplink speeds seems such a waste of resources.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Michael_T,

For consumer grade plans, there are currently no ways to increase the upload limits for BigPond Cable. This may change with the roll-out of NBN.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit