SEQ-cable
Level 1: Cadet

Cable internet to nbn

Answered

I have Telstra cable and have been told I must switch to nbn. Cable connection runs from box outside through house to centrally located modem. We have a mesh network and 1 Ethernet port running from that location. 

NBN tech said he could not connect nbn to cable internet connection. We have an adsl connection box on the outside of our house but it is not wired inside the house. The tech said it was not possible to use our existing cabling so we have to get someone in to reword the whole house.

I can’t believe that. I thought the switch would be as simple as running nbn connection into same place the cable internet is currently connected. It must be possible to connect nbn into existing cable setup mustn’t it?

we r demolishing and rebuilding soon but not before cable is disconnected in our suburb.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Cable internet to nbn

The FTTC connection needs a phone socket. It cannot use an HFC (Cable) connection or any of the coax cable associated with it. It just needed a phone socket installed and connected to the phone wiring in the ADSL (phone) box on the outside wall.

It would be possible for the FTTC cable to come in through the Cable box (only to take advantage of the hole in the wall), but the wiring can't be used (it would need to be replaced by phone cable and replace the cable socket with a phone socket as well) and you would need to run conduit from the ADSL box to the Cable box to protect the phone line. NBN tech's wouldn't generally go to those extremes.

They would be expecting to a have wiring already in place from the phone socket to the ADSL (phone) box on the outside wall and then all they would do is the termination, plug the NBN NTD in, switch over the wiring in the pit in the street and then you could plug in your Telstra modem.

The easiest thing to do would be to get a licenced cabler (or electrician) in to run a cable from the ADSL (phone) box on the wall to where you want the modem (making sure there is a power socket for the NBN NTD and the modem) and then getting NBN Co to come back and connect you.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - did the technician indicate the reason for not being able to re-use the existing coax cable - was any testing on the internal cabling or external cabling and footpath pit connections done. Have you checked your address on the Telstra web site which confirms the type of NBN service your address is deemed to have installed.

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/nbn/how-to-connect 

Jupiter

It sounds like you may be in an FTTN or FTTC area (which uses the copper phone lines).

Assuming that the cable from the street to the connection box was ok, then the tech should have just been able to run a phone cable from the connection box to where your cable connection goes and install a phone socket there (or at the very least, somewhere near the connection box).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SEQ-cable

Sorry I should have said we are FTTC.  The pit is right out front of our house. 

SEQ-cable

Am I right in thinking it is possible to run FTTC nbn onto a property and connect to the previous connection where it was cable?

The tech said the cable types are not compatible so it is impossible to connect the copper wire to the cable.  The Telstra ADSL box is on the front wall of our house.  It terminates there as we were only required to connect it the property to get Telstra cable.  Nothing in the house uses it. We have no phone or phone lines.  The Cable connection is only 3-4  feet above that.  The cable comes straight in from the street and into the box and then the other lines run out of that and into the house where our current modem is connected to it and to another ethernet port in the downstairs office.  The tech looked at the downstairs ethernet port and said it wasn't connected to cable.  I showed him the cable outside and said I was here when the tech drilled the hole in the wall. 

Is it possible I just didn't get a tech who knew what he was doing?  The setup we have upstairs is we have a 4 connection wallplate behind the cabinet where the connection is. The plate has one threaded socket for the cable, one tv aerial and 2 ethernet ports.  The cable goes into the netgear adapter which then connects via an ethernet cable to the other Telstra Modem Router sitting right next to it which I think is the Sagecom / Gateway max box.  Ethernet cables run out of the Gateway max back into the ethernet ports in the wall plate which are wired to other locations in the house.  All i need to do is have the nbn come in through that cable port and the whole system will continue to work fine.   

Surely that can happen right?

thanks

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

The FTTC connection needs a phone socket. It cannot use an HFC (Cable) connection or any of the coax cable associated with it. It just needed a phone socket installed and connected to the phone wiring in the ADSL (phone) box on the outside wall.

It would be possible for the FTTC cable to come in through the Cable box (only to take advantage of the hole in the wall), but the wiring can't be used (it would need to be replaced by phone cable and replace the cable socket with a phone socket as well) and you would need to run conduit from the ADSL box to the Cable box to protect the phone line. NBN tech's wouldn't generally go to those extremes.

They would be expecting to a have wiring already in place from the phone socket to the ADSL (phone) box on the outside wall and then all they would do is the termination, plug the NBN NTD in, switch over the wiring in the pit in the street and then you could plug in your Telstra modem.

The easiest thing to do would be to get a licenced cabler (or electrician) in to run a cable from the ADSL (phone) box on the wall to where you want the modem (making sure there is a power socket for the NBN NTD and the modem) and then getting NBN Co to come back and connect you.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit