Clyde2
Level 2: Rookie

cable internet

I have NBN HFC. I get very fast internet. Unfortunately most afternoons my black NBN modem drops out. It tries to reconnect and sometimes manages but most time we just disconnect the modem, wait for an hour and it reconnects. It then drops out again most nights. This has been going on for yonks. Telstra and NBN have sent techs and everything works fine. They have rejoined wires in the pit outside, replaced the splitter provided both a replacement NBN modem and the new style Telstra modem. Still get the very annoying problems. Because the problem is intermittent, (we have been up to a week without drop outs then they start again) there is no solution because there is no identified cause. I am sick of dealing with Telstra. They cannot fix the problem. So, my query is this. If I go to ADSL instead of cable, will it fix the problem?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: cable internet

Going to ADSL could fix the problem but the maximum speed of ADSL is 24 MBps down 1 Mbps up and could be much less than this depending on the distance you are from the exchange.

If you are in a NBN area the ADSL will not be available and the only type of connection available will be NBN HFC.

Intermittent faults sometimes take ages to find but eventually they should find what is causing the fault.

Clyde2

Thank you cf4, wow! helped by a Supreme BeingSmiley Very Happy  I used to have ADSL and it worked as well as expected.  The problem with having an intermittent fault fixed is that a different Tech calls on each occasion.  They do the same thing.  Go to the pit, test things, find out that there is no problem (at least not when they call), then they pack up and go.  The other problem is that NBN protect themselves from humans.  I have to go through Telstra (they don't like people experiencing problems with their product either).  So I telephone Telstra, wait while the happy lady tells me Telstra is experiencing delays due to COVID which apparently has a deleterious effect on telephone lines,  she then tells chuckles that I have no problem with only a couple of drop outs a day.  I have to have 8 per day before they can send the problem to NBN.  Now while I don't think that is at all fair I was not invited to the NBN committee meeting when they decided that 8 is a reasonable number.   Never mind 20 hours of internet a day should be enough for anyone.  Cheers

cf4

The 8 drop out rule only applies to drop outs of only a few minutes. If your internet is dropping out for 4 hours per day  NBN should investigate and fix.

Unfortunately the problem of not being able to cantact NBN is due to the way the NBN was setup. They are a wholsaler and there customers are the ISPs not the people who use the link. It is up to Telstra to persuade the NBN to fix the fault. When Telstra owned the infrustructure if you had a service with another ISP you could not contact Telstra directly but had to go through your ISP.

Clyde2

Yes, thanks for that, unfortunately the techs that I deal with when telephoning for assistance are call centre operatives and not techs at all.  I guess the best bet is to go ADSL with a ISP who have a local call centre.  Cheers and thanks anyway.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit