GPK1
Level 1: Cadet

Cable Outage Duncraig WA

Its now 3 days we've been without our cable broadband and Foxtel service. As we all know, its impossible to get anyone on the phone to provide answers, so you have to rely on the Outage page. But when the service availability clock counts down from 2 days to zero, then goes to "To be Determined" and then back to 2 days again, this shows a total level of disrespect to the customer. It seems that just like the Banks, Telstra is quite happy to not provide the service you're paying for and not give you any answers. If anyone at Telstra can give me an honest answer as to why my service is down and when it will be available again that would be helpful. But for now its no cricket for me over the weekend, so I will just need to watch it on free to air TV. Oh that's right your cant watch it with Foxtel can you!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
343GuiltySpark
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Cable Outage Duncraig WA

If the cable infrastructure is owned by NBN co, most of which now is owned by them in preparation for the NBN. They are the ones who maintain the cable infrastructure and provide and outage restoration times, if they dont provide a time for restoration, service providers such as Telstra cant provide one to there customers.
I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras
GPK1

The NBN has not been installed in our suburb, so this is a Telstra issue.
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

NBN is currently being rolled out in Duncraig and is due to be active by the end of March 2019. So yes, the infrastructure is now under NBN Co control.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
343GuiltySpark

Hey @GPK1 The image below is a screen shot from NBNs map found at https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/learn/rollout-map 

As you can see your area is in brown, which indicates the NBN Build in your area has commenced and that the Planned Technology Type is NBN HFC. Therefore the cable infrastructure in you're area is going to be owned by NBN co and they are required to maintain it. As mentioned if NBN co don't provide and estimated fix to Internet Service providers they can't provide it to there customers. Your outage is most likely due to the upgrade work they are doing in preparation for NBN HFC planned going live in January to March 2019.

Duncraig 17/11/2018

GPK1

Not quite sure why this absolves Telstra from either advising there would be an outage or advising what is going on and why. I'm paying Telstra for a service and its up to them to provide that service.

If the NBN Co isn't advising Telstra of key service interruptions and basically removing service to Telstra customers without anyone knowing, then its up to Telstra to do something about it.

At the end of the day I'm the one paying for a service that I'm not getting and I'm paying Telstra for it, so the buck stops with them. I for one will not let them get away with ignoring their obligation to me.

343GuiltySpark

Most outages are unplanned, when an outage is confirmed its advised publically on outages.telstra.com with an estimated time of restoration if available. If there isnt one you just have to wait.

When the outage is over, you can contact billing on 13 22 00 to request a credit when your services have been restored.

Alternatively you can contact cable tech support on 13 22 00 and request interim data be added to your Telstra post paid or prepaid mobile if you have one instead of a credit once the outage has been resolved. They may also be able to provide you with a Telstea Smart Modem with a built in 4G backup for situations such as these.
Fran6

Even more frustrating is their outage page tells you it will be repaired that day but then when you near that time they add another 24 hours to the expected repair time. Not good enough to have no internet for 4 days. Imagine the charges Telstra would give you if your bill was paid 4 days late!
Fran6

Nbn not due on duncraig until July so that is a telstra cop out
Fran6

You have obviously never tried to get a refund from Telstra! It takes half a day just to get thru
Jupiter

@Fran6,

You may well view it as a Telstra cop out (I don't work for Telstra) and I do feel for you, but there are regulatory and contractural requirements that Telstra must abide by.

Once NBN Co has taken ownership of the infrastructure in a region (at the beginning of the rollout, at least a year before service becomes available), then Telstra has no legal ability to touch that infrastructure.

If you are not happy with those arrangements, you should get in contact with your Federal Member of Parliament, who may be able to apply pressure n NBN Co to keep your services working properly in the interim.

You also have the option of lodging a complaint with the TIO (www.tio.com.au) if you have already lodged a formal complaint with Telstra and have not received a satisfactory response.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit