Highlighted
Level 8: Inspector

Cable to NBN HFC, My experience

After reading some of the negative stories on here regarding moving over to the NBN i though I would post about my experience from start to finish. I am hoping that my experience will be a positive one and restore a bit of balance rather than just the negatives that I have read. But, if I am to be truely honest, I am not optomistic. I am also going to include any info or tips that i may come across along the journey these will be in bold if you want to skip my ramblings.

Part1:

So we started getting the junk mail informing us that the NBN was now available in our area. Now, I know what you might be thinking and it is something along the lines of "don't do it!!!" or  "it's a trap!!!" but i thought what the hell it can only get better right... right? so I was in a JBHIFI and got chatting with a Telstra NBN sales person and decided to take the plunge. The deal was pretty good and would save us money when compared with our current Cable Plan. 

Ah time for a flash back (queue flashback sounds and transition). The day is some time in the past and a neive younger( only a year or so younger but hey still younger) me though hey you know what might be a good idea lets upgrade the cable modem from this old surfboard modem to a new cable 3.0 modem. You know what they say if it ain't broke fix it... plus everything is electronic these days it will be as easy as plugging in the new modem and things will be sweet ( end flashback). I was so nieve and the fuster cluck that followed ( with telstra effectively telling me that they were waiting on the cable fairy) ended in me putting the TIO back in telecommunica'ns. 

I know what you are now probably thinking... your an idiot you are making the same mistake again, your internet is working why tempt fate? but i look at it this way, everyone else is going to wait it out and in 15-18 months time rush to change over before the shut off and there will be heaps of people with problems and telstra tech support / nbn tech support will implode which will trigger a cascading failure...

Spoiler
I saw passengers recently and wanted to use the term "cascading failure"

...with all other providers will also get overwhelmed and a problem that would have taken a month to resolve will now take three and then the TIO won't be able to help because they also needed to change over and after hearing about all the issues people are having would have put off changing over as well and now, just like everyone else, they are stuck with the problems and trying to get in touch with themselves to make a complaint. So... clearly doing it now is a much better choice.

Anyways, so I signed the contract in the jbhifi store on thursday (13 April, thankfully it wasn't a friday) and will have our connection via HFC. Based on my previous experience I decided to upgrade the gateway from the standard to the frontier. The frontier modem has a built in SIM and will switch over to 4g when the cable connection is disrupted. Good concept but will be upto the execution. I will post about my experiences with it once i have had some.

Tip 1: Have a look at the various gateway options and consider upgrading to the "Telstra Gateway Frontier" it has a built in SIM card and will connect to the 4g network when the normal nbn connection is unavailable. If done as part of the contract it is $216 outright or $9 per month over the 24 months of the contract (Prices correct based on what i was quoted check the price when signing up as it may have changed).

So after confirming how I wanted to pay for the gateway frontier ( it was an amendment to the initial order) the gateway was sent to me yesterday(18th April) and arrived today (19th of April). According to the Track My Order page Installation will be on the 26th of April. I am doing self install so I am guessing this is when the nbn people will come out. So until my next and last update regarding the installation( hopefully)... bye.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Cable to NBN HFC, My experience

Part 2:

I have been dissapointed by telstra yet again because I wasn't dissapointed... I was so looking forward to being dissapointed but sadly I haven't been so now unfortunately I am going to have to write about a posstive experience. What has happened since last week. Well I got a couple of messages from telstra informing me of my appointment, I am guessing one when the appointment was made and then another one a couple of days before ( monday) the appointment to confirm. I even recieved a phone call informing me of the date and time period to expect the technician. so first hurdle next hurdle technician turning up.

Well I was suprised when the technician called me to ask if it was ok if he came earlier because he was in the area.<All_Sarcasm FALSE> This guy should be given a raise <\All_Sarcasm FALSE> who knew that someone could look at their list of jobs realise that they were in a similar geographic area and then proactively call the resident and ask if it was ok if they came earlier than the scheduled window because they were close by. Genius.

The only thing that would have made this better would be if the scheduling people had some kind of "symbolic depiction emphasizing relationships between elements of some space" ( taken from wikipedia) that they could place locations on and then base their appointment schedule on how close those points are with improved precision based on how long it would theoretically take to get between jobs assuming certain length of appointments and a certain order of attendence. Kind of like how you can use google maps to place a number of locations on it and then estimate what time you would get to each spot along the journey assuming no stopping time at each location..... Smiley Frustrated.

Something obviously went wrong with the previous installation because he then called to say that he was going to be delayed an hour and if that was still alright, which it was as it would have had him starting my job right on the start of the window. But again, AMAZING, there are technicians out there with mobile phones (i hear they are going to be a big thing) who know how to use them AND used them to keep customers informed on their ETA.

The technician turned up plugged everything in lights went flashing and everything was sweet. Speedwise the upload speed is 20-30 time faster than what I had on cable ( that was going from 1Mbps to 20-30Mbps) Initially i saw my download speed only increase by about a third going for ~30Mbps to ~40Mbps However more on that to follow. So at that point i was happy and completely shocked that I didn't have a nightmarish experience. Only thing is I didn't buy a lottery ticket in case it was luck and I still had some left over.

I will write more about speed in Part 3. 

Highlighted

Part 2:

I have been dissapointed by telstra yet again because I wasn't dissapointed... I was so looking forward to being dissapointed but sadly I haven't been so now unfortunately I am going to have to write about a posstive experience. What has happened since last week. Well I got a couple of messages from telstra informing me of my appointment, I am guessing one when the appointment was made and then another one a couple of days before ( monday) the appointment to confirm. I even recieved a phone call informing me of the date and time period to expect the technician. so first hurdle next hurdle technician turning up.

Well I was suprised when the technician called me to ask if it was ok if he came earlier because he was in the area.<All_Sarcasm FALSE> This guy should be given a raise <\All_Sarcasm FALSE> who knew that someone could look at their list of jobs realise that they were in a similar geographic area and then proactively call the resident and ask if it was ok if they came earlier than the scheduled window because they were close by. Genius.

The only thing that would have made this better would be if the scheduling people had some kind of "symbolic depiction emphasizing relationships between elements of some space" ( taken from wikipedia) that they could place locations on and then base their appointment schedule on how close those points are with improved precision based on how long it would theoretically take to get between jobs assuming certain length of appointments and a certain order of attendence. Kind of like how you can use google maps to place a number of locations on it and then estimate what time you would get to each spot along the journey assuming no stopping time at each location..... Smiley Frustrated.

Something obviously went wrong with the previous installation because he then called to say that he was going to be delayed an hour and if that was still alright, which it was as it would have had him starting my job right on the start of the window. But again, AMAZING, there are technicians out there with mobile phones (i hear they are going to be a big thing) who know how to use them AND used them to keep customers informed on their ETA.

The technician turned up plugged everything in lights went flashing and everything was sweet. Speedwise the upload speed is 20-30 time faster than what I had on cable ( that was going from 1Mbps to 20-30Mbps) Initially i saw my download speed only increase by about a third going for ~30Mbps to ~40Mbps However more on that to follow. So at that point i was happy and completely shocked that I didn't have a nightmarish experience. Only thing is I didn't buy a lottery ticket in case it was luck and I still had some left over.

I will write more about speed in Part 3. 

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Where is part 3? Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

There is no part 3, he died! Lol.

This story was clearly a work of fiction Smiley Happy

Highlighted

I'm guessing he got NBN (no bloody network) and can't get onto the internet for part 3...Smiley Wink

Highlighted

My Part 2 is happening on Wednesday, so maybe the same untimely ending will happen to me too....
Part 1 is identical to my experience... 
.. hopefully Part 3 is how great my 100 down / 40 up connection is (constantly... at all hours of the day)...
...... one can dream can't we.

Highlighted

hanging for part 3

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit