CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Cable to NBN Migration

Answered

Hi,

Some time ago I have received an unsolicited package containing Gen 2 Smart Modem and Telstra Cable modem with a note that connecting these devices will trigger transfer from Telstra cable to NBN broadband. 

I already have Gen 2 Smart Modem and identical Telstra Cable modem at home. I understand that I will need to have a black NBN modem delivered and installed to complete migration to NBN. My questions are:

1. Do I need to connect both new devices to trigger the migration?

2. What are the migration steps?

3. How long does migration take?

4. What is the risk of service outage during (and after) migration? 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Cable to NBN Migration

You shouldn't need to connect the new devices.

Contact Telstra and request transfer to NBN. They will a range for NBN NTD to be sent out and inform of the date on which you will be transfered. NBN co will carry out any infrastructure work required.

Can't really say how long you will lose the internet during the outage. It depends on how much physical work has to be done on day of cutover. Should not lose the internet for more than a couple of hours.

In most cases there are no outages after the cutover

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You shouldn't need to connect the new devices.

Contact Telstra and request transfer to NBN. They will a range for NBN NTD to be sent out and inform of the date on which you will be transfered. NBN co will carry out any infrastructure work required.

Can't really say how long you will lose the internet during the outage. It depends on how much physical work has to be done on day of cutover. Should not lose the internet for more than a couple of hours.

In most cases there are no outages after the cutover

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks cf4. I still have 6 months to enjoy my 100Mbs cable. I will organise transfer in 3-4 months.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I have a similar issue however, I was told that eventually I will have to go with nbn. I was happy with cable it was cheaper and FASTER! Now all of a sudden i was disconnected, I looked up outages after checking my account and cables ect. It says area outage. Then after 28 hours my sons extra wi fi ran out so i checked neighbours theirs are all fine. So then i dug further to discover im suspended because ive stayed on cable. 

A while back the ombudsman HELPED me heaps as my services were shocking. They set me up with a box that acts as a Telstra air hub. Because the account is suspended its not even working! Ive had tech support reconnect in the middle! of a Sunday long weekend so I know it can be done. But after an hour on the phone she refused and also refused me access to her supervisor. All I want is my account unsuspended so I can use the hub. My billing cycle hasn't ended yet as well as being in credit. Is this normal?

Highlighted

I'm doing the same. At last speed test my download was at 114 mbs; for $20 more I am paying now they are offering me an average evening upload speed of 20 mbs. So I'll be payng more fore less than one fifth of what I am getting now. Stay with it as long as you can.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit