Level 1: Cadet

Cable to NBN

Background 

• Long time customer
  • Wife is Ex Telstra
  • Want to stay with them

Situation

• bought a townhouse 4 years ago pre NBN
  • body corp agreed we would pay telstra to upgrade comms as some residents needed high speed. Between the 7 homes we paid Telstra over $5k to upgrade. All good. We get 70meg + last reading 90+
  • Currently pay $59.95 a month and very happy
  • NBN now in the area (Telstra said NBN but HFC) and used the live chat system (person not bot) and was told I would have to change plan and to get a similar speed was going to be $120pm. After debating dropped to $105 then $90pm
  • We feel highly aggrieved. The so called upgrade will give us the same at a higher cost

Is the right? My wife says just move to someone else even if we have to pay more.

Has anyone else had this situation?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Cable to NBN

HFC is one of the delivery technologies that NBN uses for its network, so nothing unusual about that.

As far as the pricing goes, when Telstra owned the infrastructure, they could set the pricing as they saw fit (and were giving you a speed boost for free for the past year or so).

Now, they have to pay NBN Co (who set the wholesale fees based on the speed and capacity) to access the infrastructure.

If you do decide to change providers, just make sure that you understand what you are signing up for. Telstra includes your home phone service and calls in the price, whereas most other companies do the phone service as an add-on (usually $20 per month for unlimited calls), so there isn't a great deal of competition on a like for like basis. If you don't need a home phone with included calls, there are more options out there, just make sure you understand what you are signing up for as some providers still have fixed term contracts as well.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi,

Firstly I do appreciate the background and reasoning. As I said we felt really insulted as an existing customer. Possibly the delivery didn't help as it was basically ... take it or leave it. If they had of explained that we would have felt better.

We don't have a home phone so not needed and most options we are looking at have no contracts.

We'll have a bit more of a think.

Highlighted

I am in a similar position. I currently get 100MB/s or more on my cable service, which includes unlimited downloads and phone, but have to accept, apparently, a slower service to move to NBN. This despite the fact that a good bit of the cable will be replaced by fibre. It doesn't make sense. Seems the speed is nobbled to make more money. This when in many parts of the world, including New Zealand, 1 GB/s is becoming the norm and some places have higher speeds - 2 GB/s. NBN speeds are certainly better that ADSL, but we are still 3rd world when it comes to broadband.

Highlighted

Agree - take it or leave it was what I got when I queried the service drop. This is not Telstra's fault though - all service providers are in the same boat. I recall when NBN was first rolled out, all services were going to be fibre to the premise, and then some bright spark thought they would save some money by introducing a lesser service. Thanks. However, it is what it is and we can't change that - we need to suck it up and go forward. Cable still offers a better service over the copper PSTN lines used by ADSL, so perhaps there will be some benefit from it in the future

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit