Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Cable to NBN

Hi,

I previously had a cable internet connection and was getting 100Mbps download (using telstra speed tests).  I signed up to Telstra NBN as an FTTC connection based upon the email I received that my current internet plan was NBN compatible.

After connection to the NBN I ran the same speed test and it appears I am being capped at approx 50Mbps per second (Standard Plus evening speed).

I realize that because of the different infrastructure that it may not be possible to get 100Mbps I was getting before but why is my connection being throttled down to 50Mbps (Standard Plus evening speed).  I would have thought that if my NBN connection max speed was say 75Mbps then that would be my speed, i.e. get the most out of my connection no throttling.

Why was I NOT put on the NBN premium speed and told that I would get something in between 50Mbps and 100Mbps so that my download speeds are as close to my previous connection as possible?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Cable to NBN

Telstra does not offer 100Mbps (Premium is only available on FTTP & HFC at the moment) speeds on FTTC connections, only 50Mbps.

That is why your speed is 50Mbps.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

So are you saying that FTTC and twisted pair to the house max's out at 50Mbps?

I thought that premium speed was up to 100Mbps so you will get something in-between 50Mbps and 100Mbps.  So if I was to be connected to premium I would get download speeds within that range.

Not sure why I should be paying the same price for a service that is half the speed I was previously getting.

Is it possible to move to premium to actually see what the maximum speed is for my service?

As I mentioned earlier if my service max's out at 75Mbps so be it but at least I'm closer to my old service than being throttled to a 50Mbps speed.

Highlighted

Telstra does not offer the Premium speed tier to FTTC connections at this time (mainly because NBN Co can't guarantee that all FTTC connections can provide 100Mbps), so you can't move to that plan.

If you want to try 100Mbps on your service, you will need to change to a provider that still offers that speed tier on FTTC.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit