CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Cable Ultimate - Wireless constantly dropping.

Upgraded to cable ultimate on wednesday, and ever since the wireless is constantly dropping out, my ethernet connection is fine 100% stable.

Never had this problem before with my the old cable modem. It is a problem with the modem/signal as the signal drop is occurring on 2 different laptops and 2 different phones. The modem is in the exact same position as the old one. Laptops are within 4 metres with no walls in between.
Phones drop to 1 bar down the other end of the house, on previous modem it only dropped below 3 out the front of my house.
Have tried all 16 different channels in modem settings, no change.

Also when its not dropping it is about 1/2 of the wired connections speed. Not sure if that is normal, on previous cable connections it was pretty much the same as the wired connection.

Very frustrated as the guy on the phone when we signed up promised improved Wireless performance. Getting the exact opposite. Any help would be appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 12: Master Detective

Re: Cable Ultimate - Wireless constantly dropping.

Hi darkffetz,

Best move forward is change the wireless channel in the modem. If you can let the crowd know what modem you have I'm sure they can offer a solution.

cheers.

I'm glad I can offer help, but please note all posts are my personal advice or opinion and do not necessarily reflect the view or policy of Telstra.
Highlighted

Thanks for the reply, but as stated in my original post, I have tried every channel with no change.

The modem is a NETGEAR CG3100D-2BPAUS

Highlighted

Sorry I missed that darkffektz and I hope I'm not about to embarrass myself here, but I don't think there are 16 WiFi channels enabled on our Bigpond Cable Modems. There are usually 11 WiFi channels in modems configured for Australia. I guess it may be a typo or I have missed something important. I should point out that I don't generally support cable services so I may not be completely up to date with any "quirks" with our cable modems.

If you have tried all channels and you are still unable to hold a WiFi connection, has anything else changed as you joined Bigpond? Do you have any new WiFi devices? Let us know and I'm sure we can help you.

Further reading on WiFi can be found here.

Cheers

*edit* spelling

I'm glad I can offer help, but please note all posts are my personal advice or opinion and do not necessarily reflect the view or policy of Telstra.
Highlighted

Or wait, I just notice that b/g/n have different 'non overlaping' channels. Your new modem may support 'n'. Try channels 3 or 11 and test. If you can find a setting to restrict to 'n' give that a go as well.

Highlighted

Sorrt about the typo. My modem has 13 different channels, tried them all, currently using the channel the old modem was set to (6) but no difference.
Unfortunately there is no "just n" setting its either b/g/n, b and g and just b

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

@darkeffektz wrote:

Very frustrated as the guy on the phone when we signed up promised improved Wireless performance. Getting the exact opposite. Any help would be appreciated.

Your plan with Telstra has nothing to do with WiFi performance in your house. Telstra do not guarentee a connection via WiFi if everything works fine via ethernet. WiFi performance has too many environmental factors to be able to guarentee a better service comparatively to another.

Lathania

Ah so in typical telstra fashion, got lied to on the phone.....

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Hey hey, wireless is a bad technology from the start always cable on the gigabit network if you can. It relies on so many factors, bouncing off walls, interference, how many other wireless networks are in the area ! My bet is you have so many people with wireless routers closeby, which is why I'm against the need for greater distances. 50m or less I reckon. The next thing is to bridge the modem to a better router with proper security features as these are not secure at all but I have never found the time to find the right one. 

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi I also have the same Drop outs on Ipad, Iphone and 3 samsungs. Modem also NETGEAR CG3100D-2BPAUS.  Previous cable with Optass NO wireless Problems. 

Something to do with NETGEAR CG3100D-2BPAUS??????

Not happy.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Censored,

Here is some general WiFi troubleshooting tips that may help you to resolve this.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit