Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Can I connect NBN FTTC connection box to seond phone socket?

Answered

I am going over to NBN FTTC from cable shortly and my Telstra Smart modem gen 2 is in the office connected presently to the coaxial cable point there . I want to keep the Telstra modem in the office. The office has the second phone socket . It is an extension from the kitchen where the first socket is situated.I know I have to use a phone socket for the FTTC Connection box. My question is will the second socket in my office work with the FTTC connection box connected to it? I presume the wiring is good but someone told me when they set NBN in the street they pick a socket usually the first and that is what you have to use.Will the Fttc give internet to this second socket. If not can I rewire the phone copper wire from the entry to the house directly to the office so that it becomes the first socket.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Can I connect NBN FTTC connection box to seond phone socket?

If you only have one phone line then both sockets are wired to the same street cable pair. You should be able to connect the NTD box to either socket. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If you only have one phone line then both sockets are wired to the same street cable pair. You should be able to connect the NTD box to either socket. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

HI All , the NBN came to our place and yes I was able to put it on the second socket with out a hitch. I was told by the Telstra lady when on the phone buying the plan that I might not be able to put it on the second socket.I thought at the time that that  sounded dodgy.The only thing ,NBN Fttc is slower than the  CAble I had before.I used to get 113 mbits now I get 101 mbits.

Highlighted

All , the NBN came to our place and yes I was able to put it on the second socket with out a hitch. I was told by the Telstra lady when on the phone buying the plan that I might not be able to put it on the second socket.I thought at the time that that  sounded dodgy.The only thing ,NBN Fttc is slower than the  Cable I had before.I used to get 113 mbits now I get 101 mbits.

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

A lot of the time, second connection points are disconnected to resolve issues with cabling, but it sounds like you are lucky in that regard.

Thanks for posting back with the successful outcome.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit