msparis
Level 2: Rookie

Can i get internet with any other modem than my Bigpond 2 wire

Answered

Hi

I have had hours of phone conversatins with Telsta Techs but dont know whaich way to turn. Id apprecaite any suggestions

I have had an ADSL connection for years on my Bigpond 2 wire gateway modem 2071A.

9 months ago i purchased a Asus DSLn11 ADSL2/2+ Modem router so that I could use my home wifi devices. Set it all up ok and it has been working fine.  The connection sometimes was so slow though and couldnt watch utube , stream music etc so I did often swap back to my old 2wire modem on my PC just to get stuff done. Then back to the Asus again. I did do this ofetn ... maybe not so good ?

I should mention each time I connected the modems by ethernet cable.

A few weeks ago my asus lost internet connection. I can see all of my wirelesss devices in the house and it even says I am connected to the internet but I cant load a webpage or get email.

If i put the old modem back on my Pc no problem at all.

I have replaced the cables and even get a new Netgear Wireless g modem router and installled that.  Same deal sees my devices that are wireless but no internet page loads.

Telstra have checked from thier end and said the connection looks fine with all 3 modems on. They cant see a problem. They have reset my interent form thier end as well. No change

Why can I connect with my orginal 2 wire modem and not any other modem? They work fine i have tested them at work.

I am running a home bussiness and need my laptops and iphone to have wifi.

My next step is to pay for Telstra premium suppport but obvously thats not my preffered option. I even went to the telstra shop to but the $48 telstra wifi moden as one of the help desk suggested but as I am already on a bundle with telstra I cant do that, have to buy it outright at $99... I have two working Wifi modems already thety just cant connect to the internet.

Sorry its long winded ...id appreciate any suggestions ...

Thanks

Julie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JCKH
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Can get internet with any other modem than my Bigpond 2 wire

Hey msparis,

Bigpond does have an approved list of ADSL modems which are recommended for use with Bigpond ADSL services. The list can be found @ http://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/adsl-cpe-equipment/

Unfortunately I can't see that particular Asus model listed there which may mean it's not fully compatible or hasn't been fully tested for use with Bigpond services. If this is the case, it may mean that there isn't too much we can do to help with the situation as it may be a result of an incompatibility with the service Smiley Sad

Josh | Tech Expert |
Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
JCKH
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey msparis,

Bigpond does have an approved list of ADSL modems which are recommended for use with Bigpond ADSL services. The list can be found @ http://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/adsl-cpe-equipment/

Unfortunately I can't see that particular Asus model listed there which may mean it's not fully compatible or hasn't been fully tested for use with Bigpond services. If this is the case, it may mean that there isn't too much we can do to help with the situation as it may be a result of an incompatibility with the service Smiley Sad

Josh | Tech Expert |

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra

View solution in original post

JCKH
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The only other thing i could think of would be to check if there's a firmware update available at all for the Asus modem which sometimes helps with these kind of issues

Josh | Tech Expert |

TonyInTsv
Level 9: Captain

The other possibility is that the Asus modem is faulty.

Happend to me jsut last week in my car. I was driving along, my car was working just fine. Then I stoped at a set of lights and my car stopped. The same thing happens with modems. They just stop working.

I'm a Telstra employee posting in my own time, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.
JCKH
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

^^ That's always an option too haha! Smiley Tongue

Josh | Tech Expert |

Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

It could certainly be a faulty Asus modem, but the OP does state he then purchased a brand new Netgear which is experiencing the same issue.

OP:
When it comes to upgrading your modem, I'm not sure if you still can, but you used to be able to order the Premium modem from My Bigpond, and have the $48 charge (plus delivery fee of $9.95) charged to your account. As I'm not on ADSL any more I can't confirm this though.

Also, if you are able to, can you post your line stats? Have you tried getting tech support to put you on a Stability (Safe) ADSL profile?
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Joshroeg

I am just wondering how complete the loss of connection is, if it's 100% from the router to the internet then this isn't valid but if you're getting any connection then it could be related to distance from the exchange or noise on the line.

I found that with one modem (Netgear) we had more dropouts than with another (Thompson).  Some hardware vendors just do the basic stuff better, listening to the signals that come down the line.

Option B is that if you live in the Adelaide area, you can grab a spare Bigpond wireless DSL2 modem I have, comes with a standard 3 step warranty Smiley Wink

msparis

Thanks for your responses.

Yes it did occure to me its just the Asus modem stuffed but i did get a brand new netgear and it has the exact same problem - cant get internet - have walked through the router settings with telstra and they say all looks perfect their end when i am on netgear or asus ... but i just cant get an internet connection.

the asus was working fine for several months with a ethernet connection to my main pc and wireless to all my devices .. three weeks ago its stopped.

I did try to get the $48 telstra modem deal but telstra shop told me i couldnt upgrade because my contract wasnt due to expire until next year - i am on a very expensive fotel/phone and internet bundle so i wasnt thrilled. She did offer me the modem at $99 ... i just brough a new netgear which wont work either ..

How do i post line stats ?? Happy to do that...

Seems to me some conflict that wont allow any other modem wto work but my old 2wire standard modem?

Five weeks with out wirless and running abussiness for home is taking its toll .. dont know weather to just pay a ctech to come out and fix it or persist with telstra ... about 5 hours on phone so far ...

Smiley Happy

msparis

says its connected all lights flash ... green but cant load a webpage or get emails ... ??

router can see and connect to all my wireless devices ..
msparis

fair comment but what about the brand new netgear out of the box .. same issue ?
msparis

the asus modem i have was working for over 9 months so was compatible at that point .. the tesltra rep told me that staus shouldnt change ... it would be illegal for them to not offer connectiosn to third party modems. Julie

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit