Level 1: Cadet

Can I just plug in HFC modem to FTTP and it work?

I have a HFC connection, and my nan, who is 101, has FTTP. (Yeah, how fair is that!) She needs someone to move in with her for 2 months, and I do not want to pay for nbn at my place as well as hers. Can I just get it activated at her place, use my modem, and my account? She already has FTTP connected for her home for phone and Foxtel.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Can I just plug in HFC modem to FTTP and it work?

You can get a second service activated on an FTTP connection (usually on one of the UNI-D2/3/4 ports). You would then be able to plug your Telstra Smartmodem (assuming you have one, if your modem has a screw in connection only then it won't work) into the active port and use your service.

You will need to word your move order carefully so that it doesn't accidentally get her service disconnected.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Jupiter.  After searching online for hours, I tried 6 times today To call Telstra, and they kept sending me useless SMS’s. Finally, you have helped. 

Just to be clear, you would be moving your service to her place. That would mean that to get it working at your place again, you would need to get it moved back again. It can't be operational at both houses at once.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit