gac
Level 2: Rookie

can some one help explain why this is happening

Answered

I know that I am a dummy when it comes to computers/internet but I am trying to understand how my internet can change word attachments in emails so that they end up as a winmail,dat which is a DAT file from imap://imap.telstra.com:993.

I got in touch with the sender who I know and trust to let him know of the change he then resent but with the same result

The change occurred on both my lap top and desk top.

i have a friend here in Adelaide that received the same email but had no problem 

Any help will be gratefully received

Geoff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: can some one help explain why this is happening

What email client are you using? This normaly occurrs when your email client doesn't support rich text format and the sender using outlook sends the email in rich text format. Outlook sends the email a a plain text message with an attachment called winmail.dat. You could ask the sender to send emails in HTML instead of rich text.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Accepted Solution

What email client are you using? This normaly occurrs when your email client doesn't support rich text format and the sender using outlook sends the email in rich text format. Outlook sends the email a a plain text message with an attachment called winmail.dat. You could ask the sender to send emails in HTML instead of rich text.

View solution in original post

SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

But @gac is saying that the email attachments are being converted when received? Is that really the case or are you getting an error message about the incoming email itself. I don't have any experience of any email client that will convert an attached document like that? 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
gac

Sorry for the lateness of my reply. I am using Mozilla Thunderbird for my emails

Geoff

gac

No error message just the attachment is being shown as a winmail.dat

cf4

Thunderbird only supports HTML or Plain text. I suggest you ask your friend to send emails composed in HTML or plain text. The link below shows how to change the mail editor in outlook.

https://www.technipages.com/outlook-change-view-html-plain-text#:~:text=%20Outlook%20for%20Windows%2...

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit