Foal24
Level 2: Rookie

Can't connect to social media over wifi at home

Answered
We can no longer access any social media site (facebook, twitter, instagram) and certain other random websites at home over our wifi. The vast majority of other websites in general still work as per normal.
This happened all of a sudden a couple of weeks ago. It occurs to all devices in our house. It also applies ONLY to our own house, all other telstra wifi we have used elsewhere works perfectly.
Again, nothing has been changed at our house.
Our first call to telstra support resulted in a new modem being sent out because the consultant was baffled after an hour of suggesting all of the things we'd already tried. (No, it's not parental controls).
Upon receiving the new modem we quickly realised nothing had changed. Still no social media over wifi.
After another hour which was essentially a carbon copy of the previous call, and despite constant reassurance that we'd been though all of this already, the consultant gave us a reference number (INT 1-1065736864491) and told us someone would be in touch. This was 7 days ago. Nothing yet.
Now, I'm certain that for a company with millions of customers this issue has arisen somewhere and someone would have a solution.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Matt.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Can't connect to social media over wifi at home

As you have replaced the modem and the issue is limited to at your internet service,  this rules out security on your computer/devices and the modem. We do have a product called Broadband protect which provides a network level of protection and parental controls. This may explain why replacing the modem makes no change. 

If this is active, I would expect you to get a message saying that those sites were blocked and asking for a password to allow access.

The following links will provide more information on this product.

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/extras/broadbandprotect

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/security

If you need assistance with Broadband Protect, please call 13 22 00 and say Security. This should direct you to the support team for this product.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
cretsiah
Level 21: Augmented

@Foal24

1) did you get effected by spam emails?

2) have you run online anti-virus anti-malware scanners on all your devices?

a) must be a different one to the one you currently use on your devices

b) must check all drives must tick archives and untick size limits (usually under advanced settings) 

3) have you checked what your IP address is ?

4) have you checked to see if it has been blacklisted?

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
Foal24

Thank you. I will try those options over the weekend. As for the blacklisted point, if that was the case wouldn't I have no internet access? It is really only social media I can't access.
Thanks again.
cretsiah
Level 21: Augmented

@Foal24 normally I would say yes ..... but things have gotten so complicated and complex now I really dont know

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

As you have replaced the modem and the issue is limited to at your internet service,  this rules out security on your computer/devices and the modem. We do have a product called Broadband protect which provides a network level of protection and parental controls. This may explain why replacing the modem makes no change. 

If this is active, I would expect you to get a message saying that those sites were blocked and asking for a password to allow access.

The following links will provide more information on this product.

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/extras/broadbandprotect

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/security

If you need assistance with Broadband Protect, please call 13 22 00 and say Security. This should direct you to the support team for this product.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

Foal24

Thank you Shelly. I will try those out over the weekend and see how it goes.
SimoneN
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hello Foal24, 

Just wish to touch base and find out how you went? 

- Simone

Foal24

Hi Simone, yes it appears the issue was the broadband protect add on. I changed our setting from high to medium and now it's all good.
Still a little strange that this just occurred all of a sudden with no change from us.
All ok now though.
Iain_T
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Great to hear it's sorted Foal24 🙂 And thanks for sharing the fix. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit