LukeB
Level 3: Gumshoe

Can't sync, tons of errors (ADSL2+) no solutions...

This is the 3rd major problem I've had this year since moving in to a new place.

Originally, no dial tone at all. Had to wait 4 weeks for a tech to check the pillar. Suddenly we have phone and internet.

Some two months later, our internet and phone are completely down again.

Wait 2 weeks for a tech visit. He  checks the pits and then leaves because "It isn't a quick job and it's late". It was about 4PM so I'll give him that.

But due to the way the system works, I had to lodge another fault and wait another 2 weeks. We were never compensated for the amount of 3G we had to buy but I could care less about that now.

So he checks our line (no problems at all), checks the pits (all fine).

He finds the main problem (brittle wire in pillar) which another Telstra tech 'bumped' (I witnessed the tech working on my street at the same time my net drops out fixing probably the same problem for someone else).
That got the phone working, but no sync. He got sync at the pillar, so he goes to the exchange and calls back and confirms it was a 'faulty wire' there. No more details than that, of course.

Fine for about another 2 months.

Of course, whatever patch work done somewhere isn't holding up. I can't get or hold sync in ADSL2+ mode, my modem stats report huge amounts of (HEC/SES) errors when I am connected. Strangely enough, I can usually hold sync 9-11AM (when techs show up, of course) for periods of about 30 minutes so it was hard to get a tech to witness it. Last two didn't even bother checking on that, and one said he had no way to see my sync history to see I was dropping, apart from directly at the exchange (which no tech is going to wait around for, clearly).

I am however fortunate enough to get a semi stable connection about 6-12 hours a day with a line noise profile (didnt need it the first week or so of the problem) with my modem in ADSL1 mode cutting my sync from 15mbps to 7mbps).
Trying ADSL2 mode cuts out within 30 seconds, easily. I tried the FAST profile to see how long it'd hold for a laugh. 25-30 seconds (in ADSL1 mode)...just long enough to log back in to myBP and switch the line profile back so I have the patchwork connection...

I reported the fault about 4 weeks ago (2~ days after the sync loss started), since then I had 2 techs visit. First one didn't see a problem and left, second one left me a number to call (Doesn't work, drops after dial) if I had more problems. He said he might check the pillar and switch my port at the exchange, but that clearly didn't happen or had no effect.

At this point what do I do...I took the gamble hoping a tech would go double check the previous faults but I don't see this going any further. I'm clearly not getting the ADSL2+ I'm paying for if I can't hold sync....

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
Lathania
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Can't sync, tons of errors (ADSL2+) no solutions...

Hi Luke,

To further help us assist you can you please post your modem stats as per guide below.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware-KB/Technicolor-TG582n-TG587nV3/ta-p/65484
Lathania

Thanks. Just got on live chat and reported the fault again. It's all I could do for now...

Let me know if these stats are abnormal...I was told HEC errors are bad and SES mean seconds without connection or something like that.

I had a Netgear modem before (no stats only attentuation) and just replaced with a TP-Link (the old TG782 had problems so I junked it) which has some good stats.

http://snag.gy/gm5Yy.jpg

Lathania

Um, those noise numbers can't be correct. Unless the 0.1 means that it should be 13? In which case it's way too high for downstream.

Lathania

Have noise profile on.
So 136 is 13.6dB. Upstream locked at usual 6dB (60)
Assuming you're referring to SNR.
Any less and I can't stay on. Also it seems to lock in to 7616 once it's hitting this zone, weirdly enough. Where as I can still be in G.DMT mode and be getting random 7000-9000kbps speed. It's not stable for me until it locks in to 7616.

I've seen it drop to 0.5dB when problems start.

Lathania

Your downstream SNR should be as close to 6 as possible. Can you post your stats with the noise profile off?
Lathania

Yeah its 6-8 with the profile off and errors are about the same but increase at a faster rate. Not really keen on turning noise profile off again as it means an hour or two without internet generally.

Lathania

If that's the case it will likely be a network fault or interference on your end. Have you tried an Isolation test?

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...
Lathania

I've had no internet for 2 months out of the year, talked to tech support for nights on end, had 4 or 5 tech visits. You really think I haven't?
I only have a phone. I've tried the modem alone in its socket, same problem. No techs found noise or problems from my end except the first time it was damaged in the pilar.

Faults ran another test tonight and found no problem with their remote tests for the 4th~ time.

Mind you, the first time I had no dial tone, they also found no problems on their end. Amazing how that works?

Lathania

I'm only trying to help as much as I can buddy. Just remember I'm on here as a customer same as you.
Lathania

Tech visited on the 7th~
Still bad all day after he left.

No dropouts the next day. Not sure if anything has changed.

Now on Saturday I have had dropouts all day with my SNR reaching 0.5dB and as far as -6dB during the dropouts.
Fault was closed and I had to log a new fault which means another 2 week wait for a tech, probably for him to leave saying "Can't find a thing! BYE".

Why is it a 'Commitment to fix by XXX" only for them to always mark it as fixed when it clearly isn't, then delaying it 2 weeks every time? Zzz...

Is there no one I cant talk to at Telstra about this that isn't a script monkey?

JesseS
Support Team
Support Team

Hey Luke,

I am just sending you a private message so we can sort this out for you.

Thanks.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

LukeB

Sent
LukeB

Lodged another fault and waited. Tech came day before deadline as usual.

Leaves the second I tell him it's just the internet ("I'll let an ADSL guy take this one, I don't have the equipment..."). But it seems he marked the fault as fixed after he left, because I got a followup from Telstra asking me about it and informing me of that, some mentions of 'This one has already been escalated...ill get back to you'. Funny, I heard that 3 weeks ago.

Still same problems. Tons of errors in modem stats (HEC/SES), can't keep sync in ADSL2, only stable with ADSL1 forced in to 7.6m and a line noise profile. Right now they put me back on to the normal profile so I put in a change for stability again hopefully it'll be usable again in a few hours ;/

Right now with the modem in ADSL1 (@ 9.7mbps, takes god knows how many reboots until it locks itself at 7.6) with the normal profile, the internet is super slow, I can't load any videos on Youtube etc and they hang at 360p automatically try to drop to 140p. Downloads fluctuate around 10-25kbps. Web pages are the only thing I can look at and anything with images or videos is out of the question. It took a minute to load speedtestnet, never ticked past 1mbps then dropped out before finishing the upload test. It's like I'm getting dropouts WHILE connected.

Mode:ADSL_G.dmt
Traffic Type:ATM
Link Power State:L0

DownstreamUpstream
Line Coding(Trellis):OnOn
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):6990
Attenuation (0.1 dB):290170
Output Power (0.1 dBm):199122
Attainable Rate (Kbps):103681332

Path 0 Path 1 
 DownstreamUpstreamDownstreamUpstream
Rate (Kbps):9760102400

K (number of bytes in DMT frame):3063300
R (number of check bytes in RS code word):61000
S (RS code word size in DMT frame):0.502.000.00.0
D (interleaver depth):64400
Delay (msec):8.002.000.00.0
INP (DMT symbol):0.600.230.00.0

Super Frames:24130824130800
Super Frame Errors:22406056300
RS Words:10826022154424600
RS Correctable Errors:28386994000
RS Uncorrectable Errors:176186000

HEC Errors:38514443800
OCD Errors:0000
LCD Errors:0000
Total Cells:17741012000
Data Cells:174129000
Bit Errors:0000

Total ES:30140    
Total SES:30140    
Total UAS:2424    
LukeB

Got another call, they booked a technician (hopefully ADSL) and min wait time is 7 days (26th).
Guess I can only pray.

LukeB

This last tech seemed promising. He started at the exchange, working from the pillar, checking every pit down to my house. He said he found multiple instances of brittle wire and disintegrated insulation and he replaced each case. Then he came in to check my setup, didn't run any tests on the line from my sockets.

I had no dropouts all day even before tech showed up (this was not a laptop tech, which seem rare...) and took off the stability profile the night before. It was fine up until the tech left at 12AM~, around 2PM the sync losses began. My SNR began to fluctuate wildy down to 0 and -9db. Took 20 minutes to get a stable sync in ADSL1 mode again.
Really have no idea what's causing this now and it's making me depressed.

Gareth
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The team will be in touch with you tomorrow. There are some additional tests we will run on your line and come back to you.

Hang in there
Gareth
LukeB

Tweaking my SNR up to 12dB managed to get it stable in ADSL2+ mode. Errors dropped maybe 50%, still very high.

LukeB

Thanks for your continued help. The replacement modem arrived next-day.
I tried it for 35 minutes between 1:25 and 2:00 and was not able to maintain sync for longer than 25 seconds~

These are the stats I pulled before I was met with : http://i.imgur.com/3M5YtJo.jpg

It seems it has gotten progressively worse if I'm unable to maintain it under normal circumstances anymore.
Perhaps it might be  the connection to the socket inside my home? I'd be willing to pay any fee if it turns out to be so.

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:00:50

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,020 / 13,668

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 232.53 / 247.45

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.1 / 19.2

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.7 / 32.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.2 / 6.5

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 75 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 9 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 346 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 205,236

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2,394

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 14,337

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Luke,

Esther in my team has sent you a private message, can you reply to her with the details she requested?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

LukeB

Done, thanks.
LukeB

Saw a Telstra tech check our pits today, then go in to a neighbours house. Probably not surprised they are having problems....may try to enquire with them to see if it's related.

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Just wanted to give you a quick update, Luke. We currently have our technicians monitoring your line so that we can see your realtime experience with the service.

Esther or myself will provide you with an outcome of this investigation as soon as we have the results.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

LukeB

Thanks. Since I need internet however, I plugged back in my old modem I've switched to ADSL1 gmt, bumped my SNR limit to 200%, so it's hovering around 11dB downstream (6dB being nominal on ADSL2+) and my sync is at 8544kbps compared to 14400~kbps in ADSL2+. My first dropouts today in ADSL2+ mode was around 11AM as I found even higher SNR does not keep prevent all dropouts, so ADSL1 is the only stable mode.

I realise Telstra make no promises on speed.

If keeping the normal Telstra modem on 24/7 during this test is important to monitor dropouts, let me know and I'll switch back.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit